Frankenbike runs!!

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2007 09:19 #177070 by violentvintagecycles
Frankenbike runs!! was created by violentvintagecycles
Thanks to all of you who have helped so much.. Its an 82 Kz550, picked up for $100, needed a harness and well, just about everthing cosmetic! Sitting since 1990. Title still has 15 vin #'s! Took a while to find the right harness, got that on, got power, starter was frozen. Picked one up on ebay, popped it in, checked for spark and unbelievably it had strong spark! Cleaned the carbs yesterday, popped em on, tried to start it, but I have a weak battery wouldnt catch. Charged the battery overnight, and she started right up this morning! Sounds great too! Popped the main fuse tho, but further inspection revealed the fuse was supposed to be a 20, the one in it was a 14(?)
Still needs tons of work to make it road worthy, or even goodlooking, but im stoked!
If any of you have any extra parts for this bike, i still need;
Right hand control
pods
brake lever (and brakes)
left side cover
2 tires
Stator cover
battery
rear signals
And im sure more..

Thanks again to all..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2007 18:51 #177140 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic Frankenbike runs!!
Congrats!

I am in the same situation - well perhaps not quite as far as you since I haven't heard my bike fire-up yet but I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and so far it doesn't appear to be an on-coming train!

Dunno what possessed me to buy my bike. If you'd have asked even just 5 minutes before I saw it, I would never have told you I was even looking for a bike. I guess they're kinda' like those old junk yard dogs - ugly to most but someone has to take care of them...

The funniest thing is the look on my wife's face due to my new found interest in searching eBay! :laugh: and her wondering why I don't just go to Autozone and buy "that" part?

More
20 Oct 2007 06:15 #177210 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Frankenbike runs!!
way cool, nothing like hearing one run;) ;)

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
20 Oct 2007 07:19 #177213 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Frankenbike runs!!
Congrats on getting it started!!! :woohoo:
We all can relate to your first starting it up, whether it runs with a slight miss, or runs perfect. That feeling you get will answer the question, "Why do guys have nipples?" :laugh:
It's a great day when you ride it for the first time too. Just make sure the brakes work better that the engine when you go for that maiden voyage.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp