Piston installation. Please help

More
28 Sep 2007 11:02 #173332 by FloridaBiker
Replied by FloridaBiker on topic Piston installation. Please help
I put the pistons on the rods first, and use well oiled hose clamps as ring compressors.
Goes together real easy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2007 22:42 #173623 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic Piston installation. Please help
Have a buddy help out. An extra set of hands are very helpful unless you are an experienced builder.

Since you have bored out the 750's cylinders you will notice the original wall thickness is significantly reduced in thickness compared to the stock factory bore and cylinder thickness. The bottoms of my 810 cylinders are almost razor sharp as my machine shop had barely any cylinder wall to work with.

Because of this, there is not very much metal to have a chamfer (angle cut) on the bottom of the cylinders. A good healthy chamfer really helps to compress the rings evenly and everything snugs in smoothly.

I have had my motor apart a couple of times and have found that Sandy's advice is dead on, do number 2 and 3 first and as Jay mentioned, popsicle sticks work very nicely and will not damage the rings as the wood is softer than the rings.

Take your time and make sure that the rings are all installed as per the instructions in the boxes. You don't want to put in a ring upside down.

BTW, I use Lucas Oil additive any time I reassemble engine parts that require lubrication. The stuff is thick like honey and comes in a plastic bottle with a cone-shaped applicator as a top. This lubricant doesn't drip off parts due to its thick viscosity in case you end up taking longer than expected to reassemble the motor and it also burns off fairly quickly.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

Post edited by: reborn650, at: 2007/09/30 01:44

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
29 Sep 2007 22:59 #173624 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Piston installation. Please help
Anyone set their ring end gap before installing the assembled pistons in the cylinders? What should his end gap be on his 810 kit?

Wondering what that gap should be on my 615 kit, as I'll be doing this in a about 3-4 weeks.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
30 Sep 2007 21:19 #173877 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Piston installation. Please help

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
30 Sep 2007 22:31 #173891 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Piston installation. Please help
stay away from popsickle sticks! They are used for craft work only. If your oil rings have decent tension you will not be able to push them in with anything other than a clamp or compressor. starting with the inside pistons is a very good method as opposed to all four at once. This method allows the cylinder block to fall down over the ring once it has been compressed by the clamp. If you do not have a champfer at the bottom of the sleeves, you can tape the point of a round file to protect the cyl. walls and make your own champfer. This is safe and easy and ensures the rings will not try to hang up. Have someone hold the block up while you work the rings in so the weight on the rings is reduced. If you choose to champfer, use some 220 paper to smooth the champfers. Don't let anyone talk you into letting the oil can set on the shelf.B)

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
30 Sep 2007 22:33 #173892 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Piston installation. Please help
Thanks Sandy! Saved it to my favorites. Just need the proper machine to grind them needed. :blink:

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
02 Oct 2007 18:45 #174258 by auggiedog
Replied by auggiedog on topic Piston installation. Please help
I have been using the hose clamps now and they work great...they are a little narrow, so they just fit the width of the space between the top an oil scaper rings, so you just got to go slow.
but, they slip right in...one person job too..