Piston installation. Please help

More
26 Sep 2007 17:59 #173056 by jordan
Piston installation. Please help was created by jordan
Okay, I got my pistons today. 810cc wiseco pistons. This may be a dumb question, but I have never put in pistons on a 4-cylnider motor(single cylinders only). I was wondering what the best way of doing this is? The only thing I have come up with is putting the pistons in the cylinder so they are poking out the bottom enough to slide the wrist pin in. Then having the rods all at the same height, and having somebody hold the cylinders, while i slide the pins in. Is this how it is done? (and yes I did bore the cylinders)

Also, is there any tips anybody can give to make this job easier? I have been told to line the cylinders, and outside of pistons with ATF so they slide in easier, and also ATF will burn away very rapidly after engine is started.

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Sep 2007 18:48 #173068 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Piston installation. Please help
i stuck my pistons on my rods first, lined them all up, then squeezed th top layer of rings untill i had all the cylinders started, then squeezed the second layers of rings across, then squeezed the top ring layer of the oil seal, poked the oil seals in then did the bottom oil seal rings and it slid right on, but your method sounds even easier!!

i did this by myself, lots of captain morgan was also engulfed during the process.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
26 Sep 2007 23:09 #173112 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Piston installation. Please help
I put the pistons on the rods, line them up, held the cylinders on and had a buddy help push the rings in on two pistons while I did the other two. We used small screwdrivers to push the rings in.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
27 Sep 2007 01:34 #173120 by Kiwiz
Replied by Kiwiz on topic Piston installation. Please help
On my J I used two small wooden U shaped pieces to support two pistons and ring compressors (clip type) on all 4 pistons. With a bit of wiggling they went in. If the cylinders have been rebored ensure there is a decent champfer on the cylinder liners to easy ring entry

More
27 Sep 2007 04:49 #173138 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Piston installation. Please help
all the above sounds right, there are a lot of ways, ring compressors make it a lot easier, I have always put the pistons in dry on bikes, and have never had any seating in issues.
When I fire it up the first time I have a fan in front of the motor so I can tune and adj everything and keep the rpms up to seat it in, takes about 20-30 min

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
27 Sep 2007 11:56 #173192 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Piston installation. Please help
Popcycle sticks were invented for pushing the rings in.:P

Very importyant. Make sure the oil ring expander is not overlapped on the ends. It can jump while being installed. Observe each one as it goes into the bore ( it can't jump once inside).

If you install it with the expander ends overlapped, you will have one hole that oils and smokes like mad, and the cylinder will have to come back off.

Jay

Post edited by: APE Jay, at: 2007/09/27 14:58

More
27 Sep 2007 12:08 #173195 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Piston installation. Please help
Been there...done that! It's no fun getting the motor completely back together and admiring the job you done, and then start it up and see all that smoke pouring out the exhaust. But then, after tearing it all back down again and doing it again is good practice.LOL

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
27 Sep 2007 13:30 #173208 by coppertales
Replied by coppertales on topic Piston installation. Please help
I take pieces of 1 inch plastic pipe and slip it under the piston skirts to hold all four pistons in place against the block. This keeps the crank from turning. Then I slip the cylinders on and work the rings in, WORKING VERY CAREFULLY. Don't rush the job and every time the cylinders move down some, look at each ring to make sure one did not try to escape the slot......chris3

1982 KZ1100 A2
1982 1100 SPECTRE
1982 1100 SPECTRE

More
27 Sep 2007 16:08 #173224 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Piston installation. Please help
Somebody mentioned large hose clamps can be used as cheap ring compressors........

I am about to do my 750 twin. I never though of trying to shove the pots into the cylinder and then lower the whole thing onto the rods......

The factory manual says assemble the pistons, put supports under them, apply ring clamps and lower the cylinder onto the pots.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
27 Sep 2007 16:11 #173225 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Piston installation. Please help
BSKZ650 wrote:

all the above sounds right, there are a lot of ways, ring compressors make it a lot easier,

I bought the ones from JC Whitney. About $32 each, seem to be very good quality.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2007 18:06 #173244 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Piston installation. Please help
Nobody has mentioned it but prep is very important.

If the block has a generous chamfer at the bottom of the sleeves, it makes the job a ton easier.

I ALWAYS soap and hot water scrub the bores with a bottle brush, then rinse them completely. They'll probably start to rust as soon as they dry. DON"T WORRY.

Use paper towels with clean engine oil [non synthetic] and wipe the bores out. Coat them good with oil to start with, then use as many towels as it takes to wipe the bores out until the towel stops turning black. When you reach that point, the bores are clean of debris and ready for a very light coat of oil to assemble. Use pressure when you wipe them...you'll see the towels turn black.

After the block is installed, turn the motor over and again, wipe out any excess oil in the bores.

And pay close attention to what Jay said about the oil expander ring....

I agree with the wooden popcicle stick method...handy little devils.

More
27 Sep 2007 20:58 #173270 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Piston installation. Please help
bountyhunter wrote:

Somebody mentioned large hose clamps can be used as cheap ring compressors........

That's what I used,and it worked like a charm.(might have been Me that posted that)
Start off with 2 and 3 first.Plastic,springloaded clamps work well to help hold the block level while You're lowering in onto the pistons.Put the clamps on the studs to assist You...it works.
WiredGeorge(or someone here) posted some pics of the setup a while back.
And like mentioned...go slow,and don't expect it to happen with one visit...take a break from it and do it right,because You really DON'T want to have to pull it apart again(like mentioned).

Good luck with that.B)

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2007/09/28 00:02

1977 KZ1000 A-1