Need help with compression problem...

More
22 Sep 2007 23:08 #172295 by FreeKZ650
Replied by FreeKZ650 on topic Need help with compression problem...
steell wrote:

The starter clutch is inside the motor behind the crank on the secondary shaft. The easiest way to fix/replace it is to pull the motor out and flip it over. I have heard of people dropping the oil pan and replacing the starter clutch while the motor was in the bike, but I think I'll pass on doing it that way.

Thanks bud, I will have to take care of that if I pull the motor.

Now if someone could tell me what the hose coming from the first carb is, I would be set.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2007 23:23 #172296 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic Need help with compression problem...
The line off of the carb, can you give us a better detail of where on the carb it is? can yu post a pic of it perhaps? wait, I have a better idea......

Ok, where on here is your plug that your referring to?
Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2007 08:11 #172340 by FreeKZ650
I pulled the gas tank so I could get a better look. The hose is actually coming off the 2nd carb. I colored it on the carb in the pic with a red spot. On the carbs there is a small dimple in that spot, but only one has a fitting with a hose.
Attachments:

More
23 Sep 2007 10:00 #172354 by FreeKZ650
I woke up this morning and went and did 1 more cold compression check on the low cylinder and she read an even 140. Carbs deffinately need some work, if you try to shut off the choke, it dies.

Now, the hose that I keep talking about. While it was running I pulled the bolt from the hose. It is a vaccum hose, just dont know where she goes.

More
23 Sep 2007 10:11 #172356 by FreeKZ650
I think I found it what it was.....

Clamp or block off the vacuum hose from carburettor #2 that normally runs to the fuel
tank.

My tank has a new petcock, should this be hooked up or is it ok to block off with.

More
23 Sep 2007 10:26 #172359 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need help with compression problem...
Would suspect the old petcock was vacuum operated and was replaced with a manually operated version.

The manual usually has ON, OFF and RES (reserve) settings, with no vacuum fitting.

The vacuum (aka automatic) petcock has ON, PRI, and RES settings. ON and RES (reserve) are actually off until opened by engine vacuum. PRI (prime) provides gravity fuel flow.

Good Luck! :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/09/23 13:57

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Sep 2007 10:54 #172365 by FreeKZ650
Thanks guys.....

I will get some time in on these carbs and let you guys know how it goes. Again, thanks for all the help

More
23 Sep 2007 11:00 #172370 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Need help with compression problem...
As far as the electric starter goes...I wonder if maybe the rotor hasn't slipped off the tapered end of the crank(come loose).Not sure if there's a woodruff key on that crank or just a tapered fit with a bolt on the end.:whistle:

Great score on the bike,btw!

Starter clutch could have some corrosion going on also,stopping it from grabbing.If the bike sat for a long period of time,the oil would eventually run off of the starter clutch mechanism,and without that film of oil,the rollers and springs COULD be corroded,seizing it.

1977 KZ1000 A-1