Need help with compression problem...

More
21 Sep 2007 11:12 #172004 by FreeKZ650
Need help with compression problem... was created by FreeKZ650
Ok, I picked up a 78 KZ650 Custom last night for free. Here's the story behind it.

I'm the 3rd owner. The guy that I got the bike from said that it had a couple of problems. He believes that something is wrong with the starter. It spins just fine but it seems to not engage. He said that he started it one day and it fired right up with the first kick. Problem was it seemed to have a compression problem to him. He stored it hoping to rebuild the bike one day but he is now 50 and has lost total interest. Now it is in my hands....

Bike is in excellent shape..... this is my first street bike but I own a couple of dirt bikes that I have been riding for years.

I pulled all 4 plugs to do a cold compression test....I know, not the best but here's what I have found. For some reason I cant get a reading on any of the cylinders. I know the compression tester is good due to I tried it on one of my dirt bikes. Also, should this bike be real easy to kick over? Im used to the compression of a 2-stroke 250. I dont know if Im missing something on the test.....

All 4 plugs looked to be burning real clean upon removal..... no oil deposits or anything. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2007 12:00 - 03 Dec 2008 09:31 #172014 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 09:31 by JMKZHI.

More
21 Sep 2007 12:38 #172021 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Need help with compression problem...
With all the plugs out, yeah it's going to be real easy to kick over! ;)

So plug your finger over a hole and kick, is it trying to push your finger off?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
21 Sep 2007 12:44 #172022 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Need help with compression problem...
Welcome to KZr FreeKZ650.

Not a KZ650 cheap, but FREE? (are you seeing this BadKaw?...lol!)
Lucky you! B)

If you're pulling the clutch lever in while trying to kick the bike over, that might be where your prob is.
If you look on the back of the clutch lever perch you'll see a plug with two wires running from it, this is the clutch "safety switch". It prevents the bike from starting if it's in gear when you push the starter button.
If you hold the clutch lever in while trying to kick start the bike however, (IIRC) it disengauges the inner kick start mechanism from it's associated gearing and won't turn the engine over = no compression reading since the crankshaft isn't turning and moving the pistons in the cylinders.

And as JMKZHI stated, compression readings should be done with the throttle held wide open to get the best results.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
21 Sep 2007 12:56 #172024 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Need help with compression problem...
I think the fact he owns two dirt bikes and this is his first street bike is the key.
He is used to primary drive kickstarters found on dirtbikes, those you can kickstart while holding the clutch in.

Sounds like 4R wins this one :)

To answer the next (unasked) question, the bike must be moving (not just the motor running)to shift into anything other than 1st or neutral :)

KD9JUR

More
21 Sep 2007 13:30 #172028 by FreeKZ650
Replied by FreeKZ650 on topic Need help with compression problem...
Well.....you guys hit that one on the head. Yep, used to dirtbikes. Don't hold the clutch lever, wow, you get compression.

So..... 130,130,128,70 next question..

I now know there is a need for a top end rebuild. Where is the best place to purchase a top end kit for this bike?

More
21 Sep 2007 14:01 #172034 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Need help with compression problem...
FreeKZ650 wrote:

...compression...130,130,128,70...need for a top end rebuild....

Maybe not - would first check valve clearances, especially the low cylinder. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Sep 2007 15:06 #172038 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Need help with compression problem...
A FREE KZ650! Wow, you must be living right! Take Patton's advice and check the valve clearances before you start pulling anything apart or buying top end parts. If the valve clearances are ok, do a leakdown test to see where the compression is leaking. These engines are really tough and don't need a lot of work if they are maintained reasonably well. What is the mileage on your bike? My '77 KZ650 Custom has over 45k miles and has never had the head pulled or any other serious work done yet (I'm the original owner, so I know its history). Good luck and keep asking questions on this site. Oh, and post pics, we love pics. Ed

Post edited by: 650ed, at: 2007/09/21 18:07

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
21 Sep 2007 15:10 #172040 by FreeKZ650
The bike has 39K on it. What do I need to do to check valve clearance? I want to make sure I do this right. I have alot of plans for this bike so I dont want to start with hacking something....

More
21 Sep 2007 15:26 #172047 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Need help with compression problem...
First thing to do is get a "factory manual", I have a factory and a Clymers manual. They are invaluable for sure! Plenty on ebay. P.S. Free 650 in excellant shape? Will you pick my next set of lottery tickets!? :woohoo:

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/09/21 18:28

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
21 Sep 2007 15:32 #172050 by FreeKZ650
Hmmmm..... so am I to assume that I did good with a free KZ650? Everyone keeps mentioning the fact that it was free. I'll pick your lottery ticket for you... I want half if you win ;)

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
21 Sep 2007 15:36 #172051 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Need help with compression problem...
Check out the "Filebase" section of this site (under the KZ Information menu). Lots of good "How To" docs in there that you may find useful, including this one on how to build and use a leakdown tester: tinyurl.com/2747cu

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/09/21 18:36

West Linn, OR