Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650

More
08 Sep 2007 21:16 #169496 by TheDevilZX
Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650 was created by TheDevilZX
I've read another post about timing, and I have a book about it, but both are quite vague. I cannot follow the service manual, nor a persons post on how he times his bike.

I've got the cover off and i know where the points are, where to rotate the engine to F-Ignition, check with ohmmeter by moving the point plate back and forth "slightly fluctuates" Thats about as much as I can do.. I dont know where I am supposed to secure the point plate down after testing by moving it around.. Or if theres an easier way.

Some said that the Dyna-S Electronic Ignition DS2-2 set would be the easiest way around all this.. And im considering it for 100 bucks..

Unless some one can very easily, descriptively or visually show me how to do this because im kind of new about this, very new.

Post edited by: TheDevilZX, at: 2007/09/09 13:32

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2007 06:20 #169544 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650
Be sure to first clean both sets of points and set the "gap" between the points BEFORE addressing the ignition timing. Let us know if detail is needed regarding cleaning or setting proper gap.

IMO, forget the "bulb" or "ohm meter" method of timing (called "static" timing), which is at best a ball-park adjustment. Instead, use a strobe type timing light ("dynamic" timing), which allows actually seeing the marks line up while the engine is running, and actually watching the advancer unit in action as it forwards and retards the timing. :)

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/09/09 09:38

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Sep 2007 06:36 #169546 by Patton
If same or similar to 900's, here's some detail ---

Each points set is held by two screws (through slotted holes) to a back plate. Each back plate is held by two screws (through slotted holes) to the round mounting plate. The round mounting plate is held by three screws (through slotted holes) to the engine case. A cam fits through the advancer. The heels of the points ride the cam to open and close. A little oil soaked felt pad lubes the cam so the heels don't wear out so fast.

1st -- Adjust gaps -- Do this separately for each points set. Turn crankshaft clockwise using 17 mm wrench to widest points opening and adjust gap separately for each set of points at 0.3-0.4mm (.012-.016 inch). Each points set has two base screws to very slightly loosen thereby allowing movement to open or close gap, then retighten after setting gap. The widest gap happens when the heel is resting on the highest part of the cam. At this stage nothing but the gap has been adjusted. But this is important because proper gap does affect the subsequent timing procedure. And other screws have remained tight.

2nd -- Set Timing -- Each points set has two mounting screws and pry slots which can be used with strobe light (after slightly loosening the two mounting screws) to align the respective F marks with the timing mark. But if the adjusting plate doesn't travel far enough to allow correct adjustment, then loosen the three mounting plate screws and move the mounting plate.

3rd -- Tighten and recheck --Tighten all screws and recheck timing with strobe light.

Also, check to assure proper operation of the advancer unit. If removed for cleaning and lubing, be sure the cam unit is replaced correctly and not 180 degrees off.

Also good to have a fan blowing onto the cylinders while setting the timing.

Good luck. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Sep 2007 10:45 #169592 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650
Okay, and thats it for ignition, was EXTREMELY useful. However, any timing for T "Top dead center" for the bike? Or do I have to mess with that?

Also, some one did mention problems such as Float bowl fuel level may be too low, how do I check/fix this? Same with a main jet being clogged, how is this noticed and corrected? Also said to check for a defective oil pump or that the screen may be clogged, how would i verify that the screen is clear, and the oil pump does in fact work?

Thanks for all the help.

Post edited by: TheDevilZX, at: 2007/09/09 13:50

More
10 Sep 2007 07:34 #169755 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650
Pop for the Dyna S, I did 20 years ago and have never had to touch the timing again. Set it once and forget it.

More
10 Sep 2007 09:21 #169775 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650
you really need a timing light to set it the right way,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
10 Sep 2007 09:36 #169781 by Patton
BSKZ650 wrote:

you really need a timing light to set it the right way,

And this applies whether using points or Dyna S. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
10 Sep 2007 09:45 #169785 by Patton
TheDevilZX wrote:

... any timing for T "Top dead center" for the bike? Or do I have to mess with that?....

Setting ignition timing does not involve the T mark.

The T mark is useful when doing cam chain adjustment, because rear side of the cam chain has most slack at TDC. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Sep 2007 00:09 #169942 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650
If we knew where you are , someone might be able to help you in person ?

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
11 Sep 2007 09:41 #169990 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Needing help with Timing a 77' KZ650
I am in Tulsa Oklahoma. 91st and Yale, if anyone knows where Tulsa is, haha :)