loud bang, bright flash, then the stop lamp came on...

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
25 Aug 2007 09:18 #166239 by jjdwoodman
That's the same for my 650. Good luck.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2007 09:46 #174721 by nosbearatu
Ok, I know I haven't updated in a while, but I have been performing a bunch of interval maintenance that was well overdue first. I think I may have found the problem with the electrics, lets see what your opinions are. Since what happened seemed to be a brief and intermittent failure of the electrics, so I checked all the fuses wires etc. and found nothing. What I noticed was the the battery fluid was very low (well below the minimum line), I'm wondering if this could cause the electrical problems similar the the idea posed that the seat was crossing the battery terminal.

More
05 Oct 2007 11:22 #174733 by trippivot
stop light is there to signal when the tail light bulb burns out.it lights up when the taillight lights up

it comes on when the circut is activated.
try taking out the tail bulb and see what happens. you'll get the picture.

I think you have a bare power wire under the rear fender grounding out start your checking there

More
05 Oct 2007 12:42 #174743 by nosbearatu
well here is my thinking, what happened was a loss of ignition, dimming of the headlight and the flashing on of the stop lamp. Now if the circuit is designed to detect a burned bulb then a significant power loss to the circuit may trigger the same light.

I'm not so much worried about the stop light being on as the ignition failure. Which means checking all the ignition system wiring and looking for a possible short, which I did.

My valve cover gasket should have finally come in which means I can hook everything up and test some things.

More
07 Oct 2007 16:28 #175107 by Saki Jockey
Sounds like you have a short to frame in the lighting circuit, perhaps a weak or corroded battery connector. If you're really lucky you'll find some creative harness work from a PO.

I highly recommend going through the entire harness with some di electric grease.

Good luck.

Rob A.
550 A4
GTA,
Ontario, Canada