welded crank

More
16 Jul 2007 18:07 #157279 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic welded crank
Remember the Z1/KZ900/KZ1000 cranks are roller bearing cranks - the rollers stop rolling and start sliding once you get to around 10,000 rpm. At which point the bearing get hot, wear quickly, and will deteriorate rapidly if sustained high rpms are used.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2007 18:34 #157290 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic welded crank
i didnt know that;) is it some sort of centrifical force that throws the bearings against outer race where they cant spin?:blink:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Jul 2007 18:39 #157292 by udder
Replied by udder on topic welded crank
stick with us kiddo well lean ya somethin :whistle: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil:

More
16 Jul 2007 20:10 #157310 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic welded crank
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

Remember the Z1/KZ900/KZ1000 cranks are roller bearing cranks - the rollers stop rolling and start sliding once you get to around 10,000 rpm. At which point the bearing get hot, wear quickly, and will deteriorate rapidly if sustained high rpms are used.

Help me out with this (possible) urban legend of engineering then Jeff- IIRC, I was told that the reason they went away from the roller bearing type was because at around 200hp plus, the bearings start to fail (that figure is all over the place) and that is why the GS1100 was the superior drag motor when it came out- because it could take more than 300 hp?

Because, of course, the great advantage to the roller bearing type is the fact that you don't need much oil pressure.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
16 Jul 2007 21:41 #157329 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic welded crank
mkII cranks can handle well over 200 hp with very little work.16v head made suzuki 1100 what it is,but early suzuki cranks sucked ;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Jul 2007 23:02 #157342 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic welded crank
Welding the crank will not make it rev higher. Good valve springs would.

The reason the cranks are welded is to keep them from twisting out of index, usually on the launch when you have good traction. If you rev it up and dump the clutch with a good tire such as a slick, etc. The traction will try for a moment to stop the crank. The load from the crank going to the clutch is over on one side. Therefore one end of the crank is trying to stop while the rest is trying to turn.

Jay