welded crank

More
15 Jul 2007 18:14 #157009 by ricerocket
welded crank was created by ricerocket
I* was told today if i put a welded crank in my kz1000 it would be good for anothe 1000 rpm.
Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
15 Jul 2007 18:21 #157010 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic welded crank
sounds right, but i dont know. But with anything if you run it in the red you risk a chance of blowing it up. My dad was telling me his friend took a bone stock kz 1000, and in 2nd gear proceeded to rev it out. Well he did that old girl pulled past 11000 rpm's then just blew the motor up.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
15 Jul 2007 18:23 #157011 by ricerocket
Replied by ricerocket on topic welded crank
We all no our limits but an extra 1000 would put me at ten before i had to worry and to hold it past ten you would be travellin some fast.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
More
15 Jul 2007 18:25 #157012 by oldkaws4ever
last year i was all about impressing everybody with my z1, but i realized there is no need to shift at 8500 rpm's, even though sometimes i do for grins and giggles. I also realized i have spent far less time this summer fixxing the old girl up. I guess riding like a sane person makes mor since to me now that im older(21 that is). I just got tired off constantly rebuilding and replacing things cause i had a speed bug up by arse.

76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
More
15 Jul 2007 18:30 #157014 by oldkaws4ever
well ricerocket i would say go for it then, more power is always better. And ya holding it past 10 my dad said that bike was pulling like a son of a gun, that is until he heard a bang, clunk and the exhaust pouring out white smoke like a mosquito sprayer, then the rear wheel locked up. Similar to what happened to goose's blue and silver kawi 1000 in madd maxx

76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
More
15 Jul 2007 18:30 #157015 by oldkaws4ever
well ricerocket i would say go for it then, more power is always better. And ya holding it past 10 my dad said that bike was pulling like a son of a gun, that is until he heard a bang, clunk and the exhaust pouring out white smoke like a mosquito sprayer, then the rear wheel locked up. Similar to what happened to goose's blue and silver kawi 1000 in madd maxx

76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
15 Jul 2007 18:40 #157016 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic welded crank
Welded crank would be a very good insurance policy with these motors. If you do that, get it indexed before it's welded. Some places just weld what you bring in and the good places will index it first...makes a difference. It would make motor safer to rev higher but not sure if you will really gain much otherwise. These motors make their power around 9,000 rpm and revving them higher doesn't gain you much if anything. Now, if you have modified the motor some, then that's another matter.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
15 Jul 2007 19:00 #157020 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic welded crank
ricerocket wrote:

I* was told today if i put a welded crank in my kz1000 it would be good for anothe 1000 rpm.
Any thoughts?

A stock motor is past being done making it's best HP by about 9000. Welding only helps the crank throws stay aligned but is a non-factor in the stock engines ability to make usable power past 8500-9000.

More
15 Jul 2007 19:47 #157025 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic welded crank
Actually- there is no way for a welded crank alone that would make an engine rev higher- the welded crank makes it live at higher RPMs, but it really has nothing to do with the engine making higher rpm, that is a function of air and fuel being able to enter and exit the engine. So, more cam and better ported heads will allow you to hit higher RPM, a welded crank may make the bottom end live a bit longer.

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

More
15 Jul 2007 22:06 #157055 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic welded crank
CruisingRam wrote:

Actually- there is no way for a welded crank alone that would make an engine rev higher- the welded crank makes it live at higher RPMs, but it really has nothing to do with the engine making higher rpm, that is a function of air and fuel being able to enter and exit the engine. So, more cam and better ported heads will allow you to hit higher RPM, a welded crank may make the bottom end live a bit longer.

:P if you are go to all the trouble of pulling it all apart to weld the crank why not just stick a welded 900 crank in it ?are you sure your crank isnt allready welded?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
15 Jul 2007 22:22 #157059 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic welded crank
Welding the crank is more for torque than anything. If you have a slick on and launch at 7000 rpm you will twist the crank. I'm sure it will be able to rev higher but then you have to worry about the valve train. If you float a valve or spit out a shim your done.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
16 Jul 2007 17:55 #157271 by CruisingRam
Replied by CruisingRam on topic welded crank
Yes- welding the crank is for strength and to keep the crank "indexed"- as soon as you index the crank, you SHOULD weld it, it is cheap insurance if you know how to do it or can get it done reasonably.

Really, these bottom ends are pretty bulletproof in the mild-stock area, it is, as it has been said, when you put a hard shock on the crank, like in drag racing, as mentioned, or when hard core road racing, where hard down and upshifts are really loading things up, and jerking the bike around.

I made the switch from cars to bikes only about 2 years ago, as in total focus, I have had my bike since 83 or 84, can't remember which summer- and am lucky enough to have hooked up with some old kawi racers here, got some of thier cast- off parts now!

I have never back-cut the gears either- but I will be learning to do that soon- with some help from an old pro.

But the welded crank is really for longevity and reliability- and great, cheap insurance while you have the motor apart anyway.

If you dont plan on drag racing or splitting the cases anyway, i wouldn't bother. B)

1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.