jumped timing chain

More
12 Jul 2007 05:19 #156320 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic jumped timing chain
Did you check the wires having one plug wet means it not fiing unless you have water in the fuel. Check the resistance of the plug boots too if they are the original hard plastic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2007 06:09 #156338 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic jumped timing chain
I think its time to do some basic stuff, compression check, valve adj if needed, new plugs, check the plug wires and connections, new fuel filter, check points and condensers if you still have them, check timing and the advancer, take the timing light and put it on each wire to see if it is firing all the time and not missing a spark or two.
This should give you a good base to work with

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
12 Jul 2007 07:38 #156364 by BINJIEU
Replied by BINJIEU on topic jumped timing chain
THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD ADVICE. Gonna be busy doing all the things recommended, so you may not hear from me for a day or two. (I work alot and drive almost as much, so time is at a premium). Whatever the solution, I'll post. Thanks again!!!:)

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2007 10:11 #158904 by BINJIEU
Alrighty then, I got the bike tuned by a pro, and the thing ran like new. Took it for, a nice long ride Sat. but only got around 15 miles when the damn thing did the same thing it did before. . . backfiring, loss of power, started spitting oil out the breather. I noticed the engine seemed very hot. I know they run hot, but this seemed excessive. I was neer a friends house so I limped the bike there and tried cutting 1/4 inch of one of the plug wires and re-installing the end. Voila, it began purring like a kitten again. On the way home, bang.. pow..problem again. Had to get a tow to get home.
Next morning, trimmed back the other three wires because the thing ran crummy after it warmed up in the
drive-way. Ran great for a few miles, then back to crap.
Engine very hot. Am thinking the excessive heat is breaking down either the ignition or causing the fuel in the bowls to boil.Any suggestions?

81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

More
23 Jul 2007 10:22 #158907 by Frank
Replied by Frank on topic jumped timing chain
I bet its coils but the oil coming out the breather is odd. Is the a filter of hose off the breath hole? If not put on. But that won't solve the problem. very odd problem considering you have good compression.

More
23 Jul 2007 10:53 #158915 by hwms
Replied by hwms on topic jumped timing chain
Oil problem = pluged crankcase breather ??

More
23 Jul 2007 11:26 #158921 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic jumped timing chain
hwms wrote:

Oil problem = pluged crankcase breather ??

Or is it possible the oil screen is plugged up, making the motor run hot and leaving so much oil in the pan it blows out the breather? Or just loose bits in the pan that make there way to the screen, plugging it up after some riding time?

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
23 Jul 2007 11:29 #158924 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic jumped timing chain
Why did you "try" to cut the wire ends??
Excessive heat ???
What kind of condition is the exhaust?

More
23 Jul 2007 12:10 #158933 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic jumped timing chain
BINJIEU wrote:

Alrighty then, I got the bike tuned by a pro, and the thing ran like new. Took it for, a nice long ride Sat. but only got around 15 miles when the damn thing did the same thing it did before. . . backfiring, loss of power, started spitting oil out the breather. I noticed the engine seemed very hot. I know they run hot, but this seemed excessive. I was neer a friends house so I limped the bike there and tried cutting 1/4 inch of one of the plug wires and re-installing the end. Voila, it began purring like a kitten again. On the way home, bang.. pow..problem again. Had to get a tow to get home.
Next morning, trimmed back the other three wires because the thing ran crummy after it warmed up in the
drive-way. Ran great for a few miles, then back to crap.
Engine very hot. Am thinking the excessive heat is breaking down either the ignition or causing the fuel in the bowls to boil.Any suggestions?

If it's popping and banging and running hot, sounds like lean mixture. Now what causes it to go lean after running fine for a time? Sounds like it could be a plugged gas tank vent, causing a vacuum in the tank and stopping fuel flow. If it's done this very many times it may have scored the pistons causing the rings to stick when hot allowing exssive blowby, pushing oil out the breather. Also once scored it will run hotter than normal because of the extra friction. Two stroke motors will stick so hard that they will slide the rear tire going down the road, and after they cool off they'll take right off and run again, (but not for long before they stick again) Easy to check, loosen fuel cap and go for a ride, but no farther than you want to walk :P hope you get it figured out!:)

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

• BINJIEU
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2007 12:40 #158938 by BINJIEU
Oil is coming out the breather in a spray, with back fire. It's somesort of aftermarket deal like a pipe threaded into the crank case with what looks like the carb cones only more like a pancake shape. I cut the wire ends thanks to advice I gleened from the electrical forum. Made sense, so I tried it. Still at a loss

81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

More
23 Jul 2007 17:13 #159007 by Z1R rider
Replied by Z1R rider on topic jumped timing chain
If (and it sounds like it is) oil is being sprayed out of the breather, it MUST be getting presurized somehow, that somehow can only be blow by, nothing else to presurize it. The blow by could be getting past the rings or the head gasket. (or way unlikely a crack in the head or jug)

1978 KZ1000, Z1R
1999 250 Ninja race bike
2013 WR250F, fun in the dirt

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
23 Jul 2007 17:30 #159014 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic jumped timing chain
Does oil smell like gas?
Does oil level change magically all by itself?
Do you have a vacuum petcock? If so, are there cracks in the activation hose?
Is your timing advance sticking?
Is your friend stuffing potatoes up your pipe?
What is that sucking sound? Does it go away with the throttle open?
When you got the 'tune up', exactly what was done?

That's it from me for now.