oil cooler fittings

More
09 Jul 2007 01:25 #155591 by robjonrik
Replied by robjonrik on topic oil cooler fittings
Looking at the housing for the oil pressure sender from the GPZ, it looks as if they either routed 100% flow through the oil cooler or caused the pressure differential between the inlet of the housing and the outlet of the housing by a restricting orifice. This is a better design than the oil cooler that was on my KZ when I got it. The KZ had a fitting on the oil pressure sender housing and on the far end of the lube rail (at the pressure test point which is using the lube rail as the resistance to induce flow.
GPZ design good
KZ design poor

The ideal situation would be if you could get the GPZ housing to fit the KZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2007 03:07 #155594 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic oil cooler fittings
StreetfighterKz wrote:

Hey,

Have you tried looking at www.americanclassix.com ?
www.americanclassix.com/kawa_improvements.html Look about 1/3 down the page. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, maybe you can atleast see what the difference is to a stock pressure sending unit and mod yours. Good luck!

Later, Doug

AWESOME!!

thanks, i had this site bookmarked but then my antispyware kicked in and deleted my bookmarks and its been lost since, i'v tried looking for the gpz setup on ebay but none have yet to appeare in the last week.

Thanks guys

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
09 Jul 2007 08:31 #155646 by tuxedotito
Replied by tuxedotito on topic oil cooler fittings
robjonrik wrote:

Logic: if you have flow, you have to have a pressure difference. To create a pressure difference, you have to bypass a frictional resistance greater than the resistance of the oil cooler.

If you have flow, you are bypassing a section of the lubrication system. Simple physics.

When you factor in the fact that you only have a 3 psi oil system, you do not have any flow to spare.

What are you smokin':whistle: :lol::silly:
Flow in of itself does not always require a difference in pressure...it requires simply force, a medium, and a path; as anyone who has studied Fluid Dynamics could tell you. A running, operational engine will at any given instant in time, be producing a measurable, relative, overall, lubricant flow rate and system pressure. Since you mentioned 'simple physics', I thought I would include a link to a brief summary of some fluid flow principles, mainly the "Fluid Continuity Equation" which will clearly illustrate what I mean by overall relative flow rate. If you follow along all the way to the end you can see the basic principles behind most, if not all, of the closed loop systems used for fluid flow in engines in production today.

Thanks to FIU for the info………

www.allstar.fiu.edu/AERO/Flow2.htm

In other words, water over the top of a water-fall(not to mention everything on the planet) feels the same 14.7 PSI(corrected for altitude) as does the water at the bottom of the falls. The 'flow' of the water down is a matter of weight(Gravity). The water doesn't know why it flows...it just does.

The oil pump produces a fixed pressure(within design tolerances)to overcome the forces of gravity. 100% of the pressurized oil from the pump follows the path through the cooler and then into the main oil galley. Various other minor galleys(pathways)lubricate various areas of the engine internals as designed. The overall pathway resistance will vary slightly as a function of temperature and the sum of the resistances of the cross-sectional volumetric areas of the pathway(s). Mass in must equal Mass out.

Now, if a person were to vary the cross-sectional dimensions of particular sections of the pathway(Hoses/Tubing/Cooler etc.), then Bernoulli's Principle will also come into play. Specific areas of the fluid path may increase or decrease in flow rate or pressure as diameters vary, however, as a whole the system will maintain an equilibrium proportional to the output of the oil pump.
The link and simulation below will clearly illustrate Bernoulli's principle.
home.earthlink.net/~mmc1919/venturi.html

Bottom line; oil cooler good...no oil cooler bad.

Not in any way trying to jump on anyone, and I am not saying that my opinions are the final word on anything; they are just my opinions. Basically I just felt like blabbing for a while. I promise not to blab any more. :whistle: :laugh: :blink: :S :) :P :lol: :sick:

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

More
09 Jul 2007 08:31 #155647 by tuxedotito

Post edited by: tuxedotito, at: 2007/07/09 11:41

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

More
09 Jul 2007 08:32 #155648 by tuxedotito
Sorry for the double post:sick:

Post edited by: tuxedotito, at: 2007/07/09 11:43

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

More
09 Jul 2007 13:56 #155720 by robjonrik
tuxedotito wrote:

Thanks to FIU for the info………

www.allstar.fiu.edu/AERO/Flow2.htm

In other words, water over the top of a water-fall(not to mention everything on the planet) feels the same 14.7 PSI(corrected for altitude) as does the water at the bottom of the falls. The 'flow' of the water down is a matter of weight(Gravity). The water doesn't know why it flows...it just does.

Now we have introduced the concept of an open system to the dilemma.

For the record, I stated that with the fitting that restricts the oil flow at the pressure sender, the oil cooler will work. However the Larkin kit that was installed on my KZ1000 did not do that. Instead it fed the oil back to the end of the lube rail causing it to bypass the engine. That is where my comment originated.

Now on to physics lessons.

Your example is that of an open hydraulic system. The force of gravity on tons of water upstream is what is inducing flow. Without the water up stream, you do not have flow. Any civil engineer can quantify that with specific numbers related to a dam, as the dam has to neutralize that pressure.

Now back to a closed system. Without a pressure difference greater than the static pressure plus system frictional resistance, you do not have flow.

If you think you have found free energy and found a way to move fluid through a pipe without the exertion of force/pressure let me know and we can patent it. It would be nice to have my pool filtered for free. Until then I will use a pump to induce a pressure difference to induce flow.

More
09 Jul 2007 17:08 #155759 by tuxedotito
I am pretty sure I mentioned something about an oil pump to overcome the force of gravity in a closed loop system, not some 'mystic force'. The waterfall was just for a visual example to anyone even halfway interested in maybe trying to learn something or spark an interest in someone's mind. Clearly there is no point in continued interaction or starting any flaming between each other on this topic. I did not claim in any way to be an expert, nor do I expect that you are an expert; I could be wrong and I really don't care.
I see it as a simple difference of interpretation, no personal harm intended from me, and leave it at that. Your response feels negative to me so save your "physics lessons" for someone that needs them.
I wish you no ill will, however, I don't bend over the loveseat for free.:laugh::blink::laugh:
I joined the forum to BS and have fun learning about how to make my bike the way I want it, not to stress.
Any flames will be referred to the MODS

Now when are those darn Patches getting here?????
:woohoo:

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

More
09 Jul 2007 17:08 #155760 by tuxedotito

Post edited by: tuxedotito, at: 2007/07/09 20:10

Ft. Lauderdale, FL

More
10 Jul 2007 07:19 #155898 by robjonrik
My apologies if you felt personally attacked. It was never the intent.

I never "flame" anyone.

Enjoy your day.
Rob

More
10 Jul 2007 07:50 #155903 by tuxedotito
Fair enough...no harm no foulB)

Ft. Lauderdale, FL