oil cooler fittings

More
06 Jul 2007 21:59 #155247 by themachine
oil cooler fittings was created by themachine
i posted this in bike related when it should have been here :blush:

where do you go for fittings?

i have a 1100gpz oil cooler and need fittings for a 1000J engine relitively cheap, anyone ever modify their J fittings to run a cooler?

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2007 12:45 #155468 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic oil cooler fittings
Hey,

Have you tried looking at www.americanclassix.com ?
www.americanclassix.com/kawa_improvements.html Look about 1/3 down the page. If you don't want to spend that kind of money, maybe you can atleast see what the difference is to a stock pressure sending unit and mod yours. Good luck!

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
08 Jul 2007 13:53 #155481 by robjonrik
Replied by robjonrik on topic oil cooler fittings
My question would be, why in today's world of high temp synthetic oils would you risk damaging your engine by bypassing even a little bit of your precious 3 PSI of oil pressure through an add on oil cooler? You realize that any oil you take it off of the pressure sender housing and return it to the sump has bypassed the engine.

My suggestion:
Switch to Mobil1 15w-50 and don't worry about the oil temp.

Rob
88KZ1000P in 90°F - 100°F ambient most times stuck in beach traffic on A-1-A.

More
08 Jul 2007 14:16 #155485 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic oil cooler fittings
The oil doesn't bypass the engine and return to the sump. It simply takes a detour from one side of the sending unit through the oil cooler to the second half of the sending unit. Nothing is lost in the system just heat.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

More
08 Jul 2007 16:12 #155504 by tuxedotito
Replied by tuxedotito on topic oil cooler fittings
themachine wrote:

i posted this in bike related when it should have been here :blush:

where do you go for fittings?

i have a 1100gpz oil cooler and need fittings for a 1000J engine relitively cheap, anyone ever modify their J fittings to run a cooler?

Find a used, stock, oil cooler bypass from an early model GPz1100 or 1000R; it will fit. I will post a pic. This is a stock unit for an '81 GPz1100(modified a little):lol: and will fit "J" model cases.

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2007 16:14 #155505 by tuxedotito
Mounted on "J" cases.

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2007 16:31 #155508 by tuxedotito
Last one...your stock cooler hoses should bolt up; if not, there is plenty of material to tap for 3/8" NPT threads.

StreetfighterKz is right-on. Check the pics; the engine oil comes up and out of the left side from the pump, travels through the cooler and then back into the main oil galley through the right side. Once running/riding, the engine will maintain an overall relative flow rate and pressure.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2007 20:26 #155559 by robjonrik
Logic: if you have flow, you have to have a pressure difference. To create a pressure difference, you have to bypass a frictional resistance greater than the resistance of the oil cooler.

If you have flow, you are bypassing a section of the lubrication system. Simple physics.

When you factor in the fact that you only have a 3 psi oil system, you do not have any flow to spare.

More
08 Jul 2007 22:08 #155573 by darmahsd
Replied by darmahsd on topic oil cooler fittings
Your logic is convincing. I understand the lower oil pressure difference of the big block roller bearing motors. I use Mobil 1 too.
BUT, why would the factory fit the oil cooler stock on my '84 GPZ if it's so risky? I am the original owner and I see no compromise in the oiling system by having it. It certainly isn't a marketing ploy. It's bigger displacement warrants it. As they increased displacement and compression, old suberbike racers and drag bikes had even bigger radiators. The PSI was still maintained to the rollers. I never heard of the longevity being cut by using a cooler in a big block KZ.
If you increase the displacement on your cop bike and sat on A1A, you would understand why your argument is dead.

More
09 Jul 2007 00:35 #155586 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic oil cooler fittings
The pump will still push the same pressure no matter if you have a cooler or not. It's also going the same route, just up throught he oil cooler and back down to where it would go anyway.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
09 Jul 2007 01:02 #155588 by robjonrik
darmahsd wrote:

Your logic is convincing. I understand the lower oil pressure difference of the big block roller bearing motors. I use Mobil 1 too.
BUT, why would the factory fit the oil cooler stock on my '84 GPZ if it's so risky? I am the original owner and I see no compromise in the oiling system by having it. It certainly isn't a marketing ploy. It's bigger displacement warrants it. As they increased displacement and compression, old suberbike racers and drag bikes had even bigger radiators. The PSI was still maintained to the rollers. I never heard of the longevity being cut by using a cooler in a big block KZ.
If you increase the displacement on your cop bike and sat on A1A, you would understand why your argument is dead.

Not being familiar with the GPZ engine I have to ask, what else did they do to your GPZ to accommodate the oil cooler? Higher pressure/more capacity pump? Change the oil path?
I am certain they did not create a parallel-path system as the KZ oil cooler does.
I am well aware of the toll that punching out a kz engine has on its thermal rejection. Way back when, I had a KZ900 punched and pushed as a drag bike that used to win more than its share of races in the late 70's at ATCO speedway and Philly's infamous Front Street on occasion. I am a lot older and just a little wiser now than to try to break 150 mph in a quarter mile leaning head first.

More
09 Jul 2007 01:10 #155590 by robjonrik
donthekawguy wrote:

The pump will still push the same pressure no matter if you have a cooler or not. It's also going the same route, just up throught he oil cooler and back down to where it would go anyway.

Then what induces the flow. There has to be a resistance between the two points that you connect the oil cooler to induce flow. That resistance is the system or at least part of the system that you are supposed to be lubricating.

If you were not bypassing at least part of the system you could not get any flow through the cooler. It is a poor design.