Torque

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
05 Jul 2007 20:53 #154987 by mark1122
Torque was created by mark1122
I was wondering what kind of torque u guys are getting from your motors?I just talked on line with a guy with an 1170 kit and he says he can stand his kz up with a twist of the wrist.now im not doughting him at all,i just cant do that even a bit with mine.I just want to know what u guys have for torque.Am i missing some torque is realy what i need to know.I ride with a guy with an 02 929r and he makes me feel really slow.The 929 will list the front at eas.mine dosnt even feel light when i crack it.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2007 21:27 #154994 by modprod
Replied by modprod on topic Torque
With the RC400 cams you will not be starting to "come on the cam" until 5500-6000. So your torque will not be there below that anyway.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
05 Jul 2007 21:38 #154997 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Torque
Remember this. Torque is what pulls you out of the corners, and horsepower will get you to the end of the straight. You can't have all of one without losing a little of the other.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• mark1122
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Jul 2007 00:43 #155002 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Torque
So can i get there with new cams or do i need more cc"s as well?

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
06 Jul 2007 03:35 #155007 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Torque
Close ratio road race transmissions have a very tall first gear,I believe this is your problem.At 5000 rpm,
where the bike will pull hard,you are probably going too fast to get a good torque pull for a wheelstand.
Almost like a stock tranny in second.

More
06 Jul 2007 03:47 #155010 by playswithnitro
Replied by playswithnitro on topic Torque
Mark, one word...

GEARING.

More
06 Jul 2007 04:17 #155012 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Torque
Mark - Please fix the LONGGGGGGG link you have in your signature. It messes up every thread you post to... very hard to read end of lines. Thanks

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
06 Jul 2007 06:06 #155050 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Torque
Yes gearing would make you pull wheelies all day if you had a 14 engine and a 50 rear:evil: , BUT he wants a little sped too.

My sugestion is to lighten the chain 15 engine and 39 wheel those gears are 2.6 ratio and it shortens the chain at the same time. Yes a bigger bore will get you bigger torque nubers. Also the bigger the engine the more it wants to breath so the stock cams might not suply it the air it wants, grant it with stock cams you will be fine but your gear ratios in the trans will only restrict you to a certain speed you also need revs to get the speed. In other words more cubes more torque, more rpm more horse power. Torque times rpm = horse power. More horsepower more heat.

There is a lot more to it then that I'm sure. New bikes rev as high as 17,500 (yamaha 6) and are lighter and stiffer in the frame. Also new bike engines push 120 horses easy and are water cooled. Lets not forget the square swingarm so it doesnt flex as much as round swing arm (dancing on highway).

You might keep up with him at 0-100 but after that he will pull away from you.

More
06 Jul 2007 06:16 #155056 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic Torque
After reading your signature reads like your already almost there. :) Bigger cams will move your power higher in the rpm .

I'm wondering what your cranking compression is?? If it is under 160psi I sugest upping it a little. With todays low qulity gas and your bike being a oil cooled engine tends to run a little more hot, so keep compression around 170 to a max of 180. Reads like you have a good combination on your engine right now. With the bigger cams you have right now it probobly lowered your cranking compression.

Changing compression ratio by one point changes cranking cylinder psi by about 20-25psi.
Also If you advance your cams you will up the cranking compression by closing the intake valve earlier.
What is the specs on your cam????

New bikes run a compression of 12:1 up to 15:1, but still have a cranking compression around 195 due to the cam closing the intake valve later. Thats how they can run a 15:1 compression on pump fuel. Lets not forget again that it is water cooled.

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2007/07/06 10:24

More
06 Jul 2007 09:07 #155094 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Torque
Wheelie medicine-the little blue bottle.

More
06 Jul 2007 10:47 #155121 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Torque
Torque at the rear wheel is only one part of a wheelie. Far more important is the geometry. If the wheel base is short enough, and the center of gravity is high enough, anything can wheelie. A stock moped can wheelie if you lean back or have a passenger and they are not exactly known for their torque.

More
06 Jul 2007 11:11 #155126 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Torque
my bike has a 15 front and 35 rear and stock tranny. It comes up fast and hard and will flip right over if i'm not careful. I can pull it up in second with some leaning. In first gear if i wack on the throttle it stands straight up at virtually any speed. I can advance the timing (points) and it starts coming up at 5mph. I can retard the timing to the point it starts lifting at 20 or 30. With the cams I have, the compression is 150. It is NOT all about compression. I've had 220psi and it does not help due to breathing. Course I had stock cams then but there was no diff. from 180 to 220. It must be your tall gear.