KZ 650 Problem (stumbles off idle)

More
11 Jul 2007 16:07 #156232 by drotti2004
Replied by drotti2004 on topic KZ 650 Problem (stumbles off idle)
if your valve shims are incorrect your bike will idle
arraticly because some valves are opening to much or closing to soon causing air fluctuating.
forgive my spelling.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2007 18:02 #156255 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic KZ 650 Problem (stumbles off idle)
I believe you have more than one problem,they
are masking eachother.Save up and get a Dyna-S
ignition,points are a constant headache,I ditched
mine in 1978.An exhaust leak can make a bike run
crappy,try to fix it.If you turn your choke to the
off position and the RPM goes to 6,000 RPM you
have some serious carb problems.Your entire enrichening
circuit needs to be rebuilt.It will never run right untill you do,been there-done that.Ain't old bikes fun?

More
11 Jul 2007 19:07 #156263 by onuLine57
Replied by onuLine57 on topic KZ 650 Problem (stumbles off idle)
Thanks for the help everyone. The valves are al within spec. I think I have narrowed it down to the points. I cleaned them today and it ran great for about 15 min then it got bad again. I looked at them and they have white marks aon them and they look like they did before i cleaned them. The 1/4 point looks worse which could be why the 1/4 plugs get really dark. Could the accell coils on the bike be causing the points problem or should they be compatible with each other? I will order the dyna s soon and maybe the dyna coils when Z1 gets them in stock.

1978 KZ650 B2A

Cincinnati, OH

More
12 Jul 2007 04:59 #156315 by Snakebyte
Replied by Snakebyte on topic KZ 650 Problem (stumbles off idle)
YOur coils need to be matched with your pick up for better efficiency. For instance if you have a 1.ohm pickup and 1.ohm coils you will have a good ignition system. If you have a 1.ohm pickup and 3.ohm coils it will run but wont be as efficient with a matched set. wont last as long too. The coil ohms can be higher then the pickup, but the pickup cannot be higher then the coils. For instance if you have a 2.0 pickup and 1.5 ohmcoils it will not run good and you will have comstant problems. This is were most people say that dynas suck and nothing but problems:) .
I have green dynas 3.ohm with a 2.5 pickup off a 81 550a1. Still runs good every once and a while it will stop to fire 2 cylinders:pinch: . But this is with 12 years old dyna coils that whent through a few ignition upgrades with some crossing of wires with the battery hooked up.:blush: :pinch: . First I changed the coils, then the points to electronic. I going to get the set from Z1 when I have the $. For now I will keep running the bike.

More
12 Jul 2007 05:12 #156318 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic KZ 650 Problem
cnyl wrote:

I'm trying to figure out the Pilot mixture screw thing too. Are you guys saying that by turning out the Pilot screw you're adding more air and making it leaner?

:unsure:

onuLine57's carbs have a pilot screw on the engine side of the carb. By turning it in you are cutting off the fuel, leaning the mix, turning out richens the mix. When the screws are on the airbox side of the carb then the screw controls the amount of air, and turning it in cuts down the air making the mix richer, turning out adds more air , leaning it..

Post edited by: OKC_Kent, at: 2007/07/12 08:13

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
12 Jul 2007 05:31 #156327 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic KZ 650 Problem
Thanks OKC_Kent;)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill