Best exhaust for z1?

More
05 Jun 2007 17:11 #146641 by brich
Best exhaust for z1? was created by brich
Hey all .. im new so sorry if this has been asked.

I am building my 900 and am ready to buy my exhaust. I am running a 1075 kit with Mikuni 28mm smoothbores and Web Cams hot street cams. I am wondering what some of yall would recommend for the exhaust?

I don't want anything too loud. I thought I bought a Denco left-exit pipe on eBay but when it showed up the only markings on it said H.B.E. (never heard of it) and it was a right exit. Still have it but it needs to be cleaned and painted/chromed to run as everything on the bike is pretty much new. I figure for what that costs I can probably pick up something new.

I was assuming I would go with the V&H or more expensive Kerker/Supertrapp setup. Any suggestions? Anyone have anything nice they are looking to sell?

Thanks
Brian

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2007 19:09 #146684 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Best exhaust for z1?
If you ask what the best exhaust is you will many different answers. We all have our favorites. I don't think there are any bad exhausts as long as it is a name brand. Many people say the Murry X pipe is great for the old Z. Never had one so I can't say. What carbs are you using? did you mean to say 29mm smoothbores? I have never heard of 28mm smoothies.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
05 Jun 2007 19:38 #146700 by brich
Replied by brich on topic Best exhaust for z1?
Oooops .. my fault on the carbs, i knew it was one of those 2. Murry X huh, I'll have to take a look at those and check out their pricing. Got a link to one by any chance?

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
06 Jun 2007 03:27 #146781 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic Best exhaust for z1?
It will be hard to beat the VHR pipe on pricing.
The X-pipes show up on ebay,just do a search,I
think one is there right now,new.Several VHR pipes
too.Left side pipes are hard to find,have your
denco stripped and ceramic coated if you want one.

i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/39/c2/18_1_b.JPG

Post edited by: tjettim, at: 2007/06/06 06:31

More
06 Jun 2007 04:01 #146784 by beardog63
Replied by beardog63 on topic Best exhaust for z1?
1've got a vance on my 75 and love it great performance fantastic sound and unbeatable price plus it looks good on the bike !

More
06 Jun 2007 04:15 #146786 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Best exhaust for z1?
I think, based on availability, you'll end up with either V&H or Kerker...if cost is an option, then V&H or MAC...personal taste plays a huge role in selecting an exhaust system...don't know much about the MurrayX other than they claim an awful lot but don't supply any data to back up those claims.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
06 Jun 2007 06:57 #146815 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Best exhaust for z1?
Seem to recall a previous thread on X-pipes (do a search) and maybe that removal is required to change oil and filter. Would double-check that feature if important to you. Also recall the X-pipe hooplah was just that (all hat and no cattle). :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Jun 2007 08:43 #146858 by smithgpz
Replied by smithgpz on topic Best exhaust for z1?
i have owned a murry x and a murry 4 into 1.they were the best pipes i ever owned.the x pipe is a good torque pipe.plus with their design you get great ground clearance.the only other pipe i like for the street is a denco tricone.left exit if you can find one.:S good luck on your project it sounds like it will be nice.;)

More
06 Jun 2007 09:02 #146863 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Best exhaust for z1?
Here's one of the previous X-pipe threads (if this is the particular style in question). :)

x-pipe thread

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Jun 2007 09:31 #146869 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic 1975 Z1B
I've got the Kerker 4 to 1, right side, and yes, to change the oil filter you have to take off the header.

On a related note, my Kerker is a bit loud. A guy told me I could wrap insulation around the baffle to quiet it down a bit. Theoretically that shouldn't reduce the exhaust flow, since the center of the baffle is as large as the opening. That is, the exhaust doesn't need to flow through the openings in the baffle.

What do you all think? And if I can wrap it with some type of insulation, what type and where do I get it?

More
06 Jun 2007 09:57 #146872 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic 1975 Z1B
You can buy baffle insulation at most online store like www.denniskirk.com or other similar places. It is pretty cheap as well so if it doesn't work out then it's no big loss

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
06 Jun 2007 10:52 #146888 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic 1975 Z1B
Sounds like you bought the "left exit" Denco pipe - I emailed the seller a photo ad from back in the day and he admitted it didn't look like what he had...

Let me add my vote for Murray pipes, X, sidewinder or spyder drag stuff, his stuff is the best made with personal service from the maker himself.Vance & Hines used to run a Murray X pipe on the 1st. Suzuki Prostock, doubt if Byron messed with stuff that didn't work.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B