Best exhaust for z1?

More
06 Jun 2007 11:35 #146894 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic 1975 Z1B
My personal fav' would be the original 4 into 4. What is the status of the quality issues mentioned a few months ago by Jeff at Z1, regarding the aftermarket 4 into 4's? Anyone know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2007 13:26 #146926 by tjettim
Replied by tjettim on topic 1975 Z1B
My father worked at the Kawasaki shop
here in Kalamazoo and they put alot
of headers on bikes.On the KZ1000s the
'Racer One' pipes worked the best.They
did not have a dyno but the owners son
and I ran several pipes at the strip.
Yosh. and few others were slower than stock.
With K&Ns and a Racer One pipe we usualy
ran 2-3 tenths quicker than stock.The wieght
savings alone helped some I"m sure.The R.C.
and Kerker pipes were good too but louder
and the mounts were cheezier.The early Dencos
were Left exit and good but later Denco switched
to the right side and the quality deteriorated.
We tried Bub,Winning,and Super TRapp.All pretty
good but back then cost more than the Racer One.

More
06 Jun 2007 14:49 #146938 by brich
Replied by brich on topic 1975 Z1B
LOL .. I got hosed on that pipe. Cause unless Denco has markings on the baffle that say H.B.E, it ain't a Denco. I would still love to know what H.B.E. stands for. Actually, the guy I bought it from labeled it as "Denco??? Pipe". So not sure it is the same auction your mentioning. Eh took a chance .. things happen.

I think I may throw it on and see how it sounds and runs. If it is any good I'll clean it up and get it coated.

Thanks everyone for the replies and I appreciate the advice. I am really glad I found this site. It is awesome!!

- brian

1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

More
06 Jun 2007 14:54 #146941 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1975 Z1B
Z1Boise wrote:

I've got the Kerker 4 to 1, right side, and yes, to change the oil filter you have to take off the header....

May be a tight fit and require some manipulating, but should be able to remove and replace oil filter without loosening or removing any part of Kerker 4 into 1 exhaust system. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
06 Jun 2007 19:01 #147004 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic 1975 Z1B
if its too loud your too old

i'm going to run my V&H off the header with a turndown just to beat the harleys at annoyance loudness

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
07 Jun 2007 07:15 #147138 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic 1975 Z1B
I'll give it another look, cuz taking off the headers to change oil just doesn't make sense.

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2007 09:48 #147167 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 1975 Z1B
ive always had to remove the kerker to remove filter,of course i always used it as an excuse to clean the header up and paint it:P

More
07 Jun 2007 12:56 #147215 by Patton
Am mystified because something doesn't add up about having to remove Kerker header to replace oil filter. I do it every 2000 miles on KZ900LTD fitted with Kerker 4 into 1, and without drama, forcing, scraping or scratching. :)

Is the header requiring removal definitely a genuine Kerker system?

Not saying that reading some sales pitch will make it happen, but here's a sample from the numerous 4/1 Kerker ads on the web ---

SuperTrapp and Kerker, two of the most renowned names in streetbike exhaust. The Kerker name has meant quality, style and performance for over 30 years. From the classic megaphone exhausts to the new Performance Series, Kerker means perfect fit, finish, and championship winning performance. With championships in Superbike and Endurance racing, Kerker exhausts are race proven, but street wise. SuperTrapp brought tunability to streetbike exhausts for the first time. Through uncompromising attention to detail, SuperTrapp streetbike exhausts raised the level of excellence that streetbike owners expect from an aftermarket exhaust. The original goals of exact fit, ease of access to convenience features (oil filter and drain plug access, and no centerstand removal required), and the great power (whether stock or modified) still ring true today. Whether you choose a Kerker or SuperTrapp exhaust for your streetbike, you can rest assured that you are getting the best value that money can buy.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
07 Jun 2007 14:29 #147239 by Patton
Here's some Kerker 4/1 header info from Dennis Kirk site --

Chrome 4-into-1 Megaphone Exhaust System
Dennis Kirk Part #: 4339
Manufacturer Part #: 12861001

The original and still the best choice for 70s to 80s in-line fours
Increased cornering clearance and horsepower coupled with a lighter system results in unbelievable performance
Retains centerstand, oil filter and drain access
Electrostatically applied Ceramicoat 2500
Includes street type baffle
Some carburetor re-jetting may be required

Part 4339 fits the following machines:

Kawasaki - KZ1000A 1977
Kawasaki - KZ1000A 1978
Kawasaki - KZ1000A MKII 1979
Kawasaki - KZ1000A MKII 1980
Kawasaki - KZ1000B Ltd 1977
Kawasaki - KZ1000B Ltd 1978
Kawasaki - KZ1000B Ltd 1979
Kawasaki - KZ1000B Ltd 1980
Kawasaki - KZ900A 1976
Kawasaki - Z1 900 1973
Kawasaki - Z1 900 1974
Kawasaki - Z1 900 1975

:huh: KZ900LTD isn't in the list. :ohmy: :laugh:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2007 18:03 #147284 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 1975 Z1B
Patton wrote:

Am mystified because something doesn't add up about having to remove Kerker header to replace oil filter. I do it every 2000 miles on KZ900LTD fitted with Kerker 4 into 1, and without drama, forcing, scraping or scratching. :)

Is the header requiring removal definitely a genuine Kerker system?

Not saying that reading some sales pitch will make it happen, but here's a sample from the numerous 4/1 Kerker ads on the web ---

SuperTrapp and Kerker, two of the most renowned names in streetbike exhaust. The Kerker name has meant quality, style and performance for over 30 years. From the classic megaphone exhausts to the new Performance Series, Kerker means perfect fit, finish, and championship winning performance. With championships in Superbike and Endurance racing, Kerker exhausts are race proven, but street wise. SuperTrapp brought tunability to streetbike exhausts for the first time. Through uncompromising attention to detail, SuperTrapp streetbike exhausts raised the level of excellence that streetbike owners expect from an aftermarket exhaust. The original goals of exact fit, ease of access to convenience features (oil filter and drain plug access, and no centerstand removal required), and the great power (whether stock or modified) still ring true today. Whether you choose a Kerker or SuperTrapp exhaust for your streetbike, you can rest assured that you are getting the best value that money can buy.

yep
Attachments: