preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip

More
04 Jun 2007 19:27 #146333 by Trebek
First time poster here.

I bought a 1978 kz650 two weeks ago and plan to take it on a 4000 mile trip. I know very little about the bikes history, it runs well, but the carbs need to be rebuilt ASAP. The bike has 29000 miles.
Could some of you write me a list of the first things you would check to ensure the bike is reliable on the trip?

i.e.:

1. rebuild carbs
2. replace back shocks
3.????
4.?????

Thank you,

Trebek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2007 19:44 #146344 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Tires
battery(how old is the battery and what volt reading do You get at the battery with a tester?)
Timing chain adjusted properly?
Oil change
Any loose spokes(if You have spoked rims)
Drive chain and sprockets...what condition?Much play in the chain?
Forks(oil...and any leaks at the seals?)
All cables lubricated?
Brakes?(pads)
Wheel bearings..any play in the front end?
Swing-arm bearings(bushings)
All light-bulbs working?
Spare headlight and all tools needed to replace one on the road?
All tools needed for a basic repair or adjustment?

Welcome to KZR!
B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
04 Jun 2007 19:48 #146348 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
i think sandy just about nailed it.
all i can add is to check the valve clearences since you just got it and you don't know when they were last checked.
maybe a extra set of plugs also.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
04 Jun 2007 20:02 #146351 by reborn650
Replied by reborn650 on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Don't overlook the ignition - plug wires, boots, plugs and points. Also, put in new air, oil and fuel line filters.

Check the brake pads for wear. A couple of high speed panic stops on worn pads can ruin your trip if they brakes aren't up to snuff.

Never hurts to carry a little tool box with extra fuses, electrical tape and bulbs.

Good luck.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
04 Jun 2007 20:10 #146352 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Welcome to KZr Trebek.

So, where does your trip start at and end at?

I'll add a few things to the list of "should haves":

A spare tube, or at least a can of "Seal-N-Air" to get you to where you can get the flat fixed properly, or the tire/tube replaced if damage is to extensive.

Spare tail light, rear and front turn signal bulbs - nothing like getting a "fix-it" ticket for a burnt out bulb to ruin an otherwise pleseant trip. :pinch:

The orignal style glass fuses are a pita to find anymore, so I'd suggest upgrading the fuse box to an ATO/AGC blade type fuse box (AND carry spare fuses) which can be found at just about any auto parts store.

Check all wiring and connections for potential shorts/damage so you won't get stranded out in the middle of B.F.E., and lube the connections with dielectric grease to help keep moisture out.

If you don't already have one, and it's within your budget, get yourself a AAA Premier membership that covers RV's and motorcycles. The wife and I have this membership, and it's paid for itself many times over already. :whistle:

Take a camera with you, because we're all going to want some pics when you get back. ;)

And last but not least, have fun and be safe! B)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
05 Jun 2007 00:15 #146414 by Capt. Quirk
Replied by Capt. Quirk on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
OEM points and condensor

What model is it? B,C,D

New Front tire.

More
05 Jun 2007 04:50 #146433 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
I think they have coverd just about everything, check it from front to back, top to bottom, and tes put together a tool /repair bag.
I would make a list and check it off along with results of the check off, it will be worth it after the trip when you can go back over it and see what has changed.

make sure to include chain lube in your bag

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
05 Jun 2007 07:10 #146471 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Everyones hit it pretty good. You need new tires before you go even if your old ones are good, they wont make it 4000 miles. Don't even bother going if you still have points, you need electronic ignition. Be sure and oil your chain every couple hundred miles or every time you hit rain, even for only a short duration. Bring battery filler and distilled water. Other things already mentioned pretty much. Bring 2 or 3 sets of heavy gloves. Yes it's almost Summer, hands still freeze in the rain and it takes a couple days for gloves to dry. I wouldn't bother rebuilding the carbs, just make sure they are clean and synced. Be aware KZ650 is not a Gold Wing on the road, your neck and rear will get tired and in windy conditions a KZ650 gets blown around and gets tiring on the long road trips.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
05 Jun 2007 07:29 #146477 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Anticipating every problem and replacing the part will make you broke before you leave. Tires and a tune up, and check everything over real good. then trust your mechanical ability to get you home. its a lonely feeling being 1000 miles from home with a bike that wont move and a rock for a hammer...proper planning as they say.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
05 Jun 2007 11:01 #146540 by Trebek
Replied by Trebek on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Thanks all,

Looks like you covered all the things I need to do. I plan to make a prioritized list and check it off. Fortunately I have until July 25th to complete everything. And if I don't get around to every last detail, I'll have that AAA membership just in case.

To answer a couple questions: I plan to go from Austin Tx. to Wyoming, travel around for about a week then return VIA Utah and where ever else the road takes me. The bike is a 78 KZ650 B. Bike already has new tires and electronic ignition but everything else needs looked at.

I was driving it today and noticed a reoccouring "CLUNK" in the rear suspension, and I don't think it was the rear shocks. Swingarm issues?

Trebek

More
05 Jun 2007 11:58 #146555 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
I don't know what the clunk in the rear is, could be the rear brakes. I would take off the rear wheel and go through the brakes, and while the wheel is off unhook the shock bottoms and grab the swingarm, twist it around good, if you get any play that can mean bad swingarm bearings. You said it's a 78? It should have the needle bearings in the swingarm.

You will need an iron butt to take a 650 that far. I came back from a 925 miler a few wekks ago. By lunchtime of day one I was tired, and we only did about 300 miles a day. Take plenty of breaks to walk around. I have a beaded seat pad and it helps, but I would not do it again on the 650.

Remember to take a pocket knife with you and duct tape. You'll find a way to use them.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
05 Jun 2007 13:49 #146566 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Since everyone has already pretty much covered everything I'd just like to add that if you don't know how old your brake pads/shoes are, replace them, no matter how they look. Kept 12yr old shoes in, because they still had plenty of pad left. After getting a few hundred miles on them the pad came off the shoe. Would not be a fun thing to have to fix, on the road. Good luck, a road trip is one of the greatest things, you can do, Wyo is absolutely magnificent.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades