preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip

More
05 Jun 2007 14:05 #146570 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
just had another thought, do a search of kawi dealers and a few bike repair shops, may even make a few phone calls, just incase of a break down you will have an established person to help.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2007 20:50 #146734 by old650
Replied by old650 on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Trebek wrote:

First time poster here.

I bought a 1978 kz650 two weeks ago and plan to take it on a 4000 mile trip. I know very little about the bikes history, it runs well, but the carbs need to be rebuilt ASAP. The bike has 29000 miles.
Could some of you write me a list of the first things you would check to ensure the bike is reliable on the trip?

i.e.:

1. rebuild carbs
2. replace back shocks
3.????
4.?????

Thank you,

Trebek

Buddy, the best thing that you can do for yourself is get a Factory Service Manual off ebay. Go through all the tune up procedures. You'll have to know how to maintain your bike anyway. The F.S.M. and the archives here at KZR will help you to clean/adjust/set up your carbs.

I think that most adjustments/procedures/parts have already been mentioned except possibly...adjusting your cam chain tensioner.

Don't get discouraged. If you enjoy turning wrenches this stuff can be quite enjoyable and the feeling you get after a full tune up and taking her out for a rip is fantastic.

More
05 Jun 2007 21:29 #146747 by Trebek
Replied by Trebek on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
Yeah, I got a Hanes manual. All the repairs should be possible with it. I just really needed some ideas as to where to begin, and the importance of each step in a sequencial order. I believe I now have a working idea as to what I must accomplish before I leave. Such good sound advice here so far!

BTW: Just got the AAA membership, and recieved the new back shox. Tomorrow I'll remove back wheel, check out the wheel bearings, swingarm, replace back disk pads, and any other practical advice I get before now and then...

Cheers,

Trebek

More
07 Jun 2007 04:21 #147106 by Cactus
Replied by Cactus on topic preparation of a kz650 for long roadtrip
I bought mine à 45 000kms and the next week I rode it 2000kms from Bordeaux in France to London and back. The exhaust pipe fell off (rusted thro') about 20 mins before I made it home.

When I serviced it one of the carbs was way out. It was perhaps the best trip of my life.

After that I'd check the basics. Brakes, pads, fluid adjustment, balance carbs, tighten cam chain, check drive chain, clean gap plugs, good oil, clean air filter, take a few spare bulbs, fuses, the important tools

theses bikes are tanks, if you have good compression and the basics are ok you should be able to roll all day. Check out some of the bike travel blogs etc they have good tips on touring too, and have FUN...

Take some good wet weather stuff, scotch tape, bungee cords and that two compound glue that is like play dough fixes almost everything...