Numbers Don't Match? What bike is the Engine from?

• germanpickle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2007 14:28 #146243 by germanpickle
Hi,

It appears that the engine and frame on my bike don't match. It's something I didn't notice when I bought the bike. Here's the story: I bought the bike over the winter and just recently took it to the Gov't Safety inspection required by law over here to get the bike registered. They told me I needed a new chain and sprockets. they ordered me the standard sized 630 15 tooth front and 33 tooth rear. When I took the bike home with parts in hand, I noticed that on the bike was a 530 not a 630 chain. the 630 countershaft sprocket wouldn't even fit properly. the shop will not refund me my sprocket and chain, despite they had the bike in their possession when they ordered the parts. I went down one size on the countershaft sprocket (they had a gently used on in stock) Now I want to know what bike my engine originally belonged to. I don't mind the heaver chain, so long I can get a smaller rear sprocket. Furthermore when I buy parts I need to know so that I buy proper parts.

My Bike is a 1980 KZ750LTD K2750H004457 but my engine's a KZ750EE7948 ... I looked at the KZ750E models, and from what I can tell they used 630 chains too for a few years.

the engine has the clutch release on the left
Any help in identifying what bike (year and trim)was the engine donor would be most appreciated. Maybe then I can find what Chain sizes I should be using. With my gearing I'm running 5500RPM at 100KM/h (60mph) I have a feeling that's too high.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2007 14:33 #146244 by wireman
i dont see how they can tell you what chain and sprockets to use:angry: what state are you in ?

• germanpickle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2007 14:44 #146245 by germanpickle
Replied by germanpickle on topic Numbers Don't Match? What bike is the Engine from?
Oh no, they didn't tell me what to use. They told me I needed a new chain and sprocket and then when they were ordered they ordered the wrong one. Now that I have the parts, no refunds.

More
04 Jun 2007 14:46 #146247 by ltdrider
I'm guessing that you mean that you had your bike inspected at a bike shop, and they said you needed a new chain and sprocket. Not the gov't.
It's not unusual for the engine number to be different from the frame number on the bike. But I don't know 750s, so I can't tell you if your motor is original or not.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
04 Jun 2007 14:47 #146248 by steell
My guess is that you are in Germany and are describing the results of a TUV inspection. And for those that are unfamiliar with the TUV inspections, they even inspect for the proper size tires and their speed rating, and don't even think about showing up with a speck of rust on a hydraulic brake line :woohoo:

Yeah, they're that tough :D

Regarding the original subject, all the KZ750 fours were originally equipped with 630 chain and sprockets, and the engine numbers "Never" matched the frame numbers.

When I was stationed in Germany, I made a ton of money prepping cars belonging to Americans for the TUV inspection :)

KD9JUR

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2007 14:49 #146249 by wireman
ah,my bad!:blush: welcome to z-jungleB)

• germanpickle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jun 2007 16:31 #146281 by germanpickle
Replied by germanpickle on topic Numbers Don't Match? What bike is the Engine from?
I live in Manitoba, Canada, and here we have mandatory Vehicle inspections when a vehicle changes hands. It's similar to a TUV, but not nearly as strict.

It's interesting to know that the frame and engine numbers don't always match. I guessed that from the KZ750EE designation on the motor that perhaps it was an engine from a KZ750E rather than the LTD. Good to know.

More
04 Jun 2007 23:21 #146394 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Numbers Don't Match? What bike is the Engine from?
germanpickle wrote:

I live in Manitoba, Canada, and here we have mandatory Vehicle inspections when a vehicle changes hands. It's similar to a TUV, but not nearly as strict.

It's interesting to know that the frame and engine numbers don't always match. I guessed that from the KZ750EE designation on the motor that perhaps it was an engine from a KZ750E rather than the LTD. Good to know.

After 25 years of owning kz's I have never seen a "matching number" KZ. I have heard of a few that were close but never matching. The registration was always done with the frame number. I'm not even sure why they even put a number on the motor. Maybe it was a Govt. thing.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
05 Jun 2007 00:30 #146416 by Mcdroid
germanpickle wrote:

The motors on various 750(4) (LTD, standard, GPz) styles were all powered by the same motor series...for example, I have a 1982 GPz750 and its' motor VIN is KZ750EE0XXXXX. One can tell the model of a 750 bike from the frame VIN but since the motors all come from the same VIN series, you cannot tell which model the motors went into.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
06 Jun 2007 00:02 #146775 by Capt. Quirk
Replied by Capt. Quirk on topic Numbers Don't Match? What bike is the Engine from?
What year and month does your frame tag say? and is it a 4 cylinder?

More
06 Jun 2007 05:04 #146794 by steell
Capt. Quirk wrote:

What year and month does your frame tag say? and is it a 4 cylinder?

My Bike is a 1980 KZ750LTD K2750H004457 but my engine's a KZ750EE7948

KZ750H004457 (that second letter is a Z not a 2) means that it is a four cylinder 750 LTD, (KZ750H), if it was a 1980 750 twin then it would be KZ750GXXXXXX.

My guess is that it was manufactured between 09/79 and 11/79 due to the 4457 serial number.

KD9JUR

• germanpickle
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jun 2007 07:18 #146829 by germanpickle
Funny. When I registered the bike, I told the insurance company the VIN was KZ but they said Can't be, it must be K2. Shows ya. A rider knows best. :-)