\"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?

More
31 May 2007 11:42 #145242 by DinOwnSu
I have a 1977 KZ650 Custom and went to a Kawasaki dealership yesterday for some random parts. The guy there mentioned a buddy of his that swears by Sea Foam. That he uses it in his bike frequently.

I wanted to see if any of you use this stuff and if it helps when you mix with gas and/or oil? Also, what is the best way to add this stuff?

Thanks,
Dino

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2007 12:05 #145250 by speedadict
Replied by speedadict on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
Yes I use it and it works well. Fill the tank with fresh gas, and dump in a whole can! If the bike still runs crappy, its time for a full fledged carb cleaning.

More
31 May 2007 12:07 #145251 by DinOwnSu
Replied by DinOwnSu on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
A full can, really? Can I harm anything by doing this?

More
31 May 2007 12:10 #145257 by speedadict
Replied by speedadict on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
I never had any problems doing it. I have done this to bikes, and outboard motors both.

More
31 May 2007 12:11 #145259 by DinOwnSu
Replied by DinOwnSu on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
Alrighty then, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

More
31 May 2007 12:27 #145262 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
If you do a search here, you'll see that the benifits of sea foam has been discussed many many times before.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
31 May 2007 15:15 #145297 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
I don't know why you would dump a whole can in your tank, it says to use 1 oz per gallon of gas. The whole can is what 12 or 16 oz's?

I use a 1/2 oz per gallon and my engine runs very smooth, mileage goes up 2-3 mpg just from that.

They say to dump a lot in the oil just before an oil change and it will keep the motor cleaner.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
31 May 2007 15:36 #145303 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
I just started using it but (following directions on can) can already see cleaner looking piston tops. I have heard nothing but great things about the stuff!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2007 05:45 #145446 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
I have posted previously about using Seafoam to clean my carbs and prevent the bowl needle valves from sticking (causing the carbs to overflow and piss everywhere). I am VERY happy with this product.

I would NOT dump the whole can in your gas tank. I ran 2oz for the first gallon only then 1oz per gallon after that. I used it last Spring and every few thousand miles since.

1oz per gallon is what the can says.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
01 Jun 2007 22:53 #145632 by Grebnaws Inc.
Replied by Grebnaws Inc. on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
In addition to running it periodically through the tank I have added a few ounces to the crank case and let it idle for a few minutes before changing the oil.

I wouldn't run the bike over idle with seafoam in the case but when I did this to my Honda 900f *gasp*:ohmy: I felt some gritty black stuff drain out during the change. I'd hate to dislodge a bunch of gunk that could hurt the engine but I'd rather "flush" it periodically with seafoam than have buildup.

More
02 Jun 2007 07:02 #145658 by kawtoy
Seafoam rocks. I use it in every engine I have.. bikes, mowers, cars and trucks. The Chevy truck forum guys posted a trick to help de-carbon the engine. Take the vaccum hose off the master cylinder and then pour in the Seafoam as fast as you can until the truck stalls. Let it sit for about an hour then start it up. It smokes like crazy, I mean a embarrassing amount of white smoke but the truck runs much better now. No more pinging when under a load at low RPMs, smoother idle and no more sticky pedal. MPG should go up a bit as well. You can see the crap that came out of the engine laying on the driveway. I am sure we could do the same with the vaccum ports in the carb boots. I may give it a try and see what happens.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
09 Jun 2007 19:14 #147885 by roystaylor
Replied by roystaylor on topic \"Sea Foam\", anyone else use this?
I sucked the stuff into the vacuum ports on my old KZ650, then started burning around the neighborhood. You should have seen the smoke!! Better than any mosquito fogger! Looked like the smoke screens that warships send out...that was fun.
The stuff does loosen and burn the carbon....