Who's using Engine Guards?

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
26 May 2007 17:24 #143746 by Sandy
Who's using Engine Guards? was created by Sandy
I bought a pair a long time ago,on the bay,and I just yesterday put them on.I need them for more than just engine guards...I need to install some pegs for long trips.I seriously can NOT do the longer rides.Sure,I can do the twisties no problem,and for the most part,I can ride all day,BUT...longer hauls kill My ass and hips.
I would only mount the pegs when I need them.
Anyway...I can see that they are going to touch down in the sharp corners,I can see where they are lower than My footpegs,and I HAVE touched down with those.The footpags aren't factory btw.
I remember last season,Tony complained about His,and on one ride,He touched down,and sure as hell,it was the engine guard.
So now I'm thinking about it,and I'm not too sure I want to.
Ya,sure...they'll protect the engine,BUT crash guards making You crash?:pinch:
Anyone have any horror-stories or warnings? :whistle:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2007 17:41 #143751 by GPz750KS
Replied by GPz750KS on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
Yes. I have a story about crash guards... During the impact of my crash, It was the crash guard that broke the engine case. The impact folded the tubing, but never moved the mounting tabs or location of them. They just folded up. They might be good for a low speed lowside, but definately not barbwire/road sign proof.

Just my experience..

Richard Z.

More
26 May 2007 18:02 #143763 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
Once when I was younger and more nutty, if that's possible :P I was always riding the KZ650 like a roadracer with engine guards, dragging them in the curves ect. One day my Dad told me if I kept riding like that I was going to crash. Of course like 1 day later I took a turn, hit oil and slid along the road. First thing to do in a crash is jump up and get the heck out of there before the cops can "help" or spectators can make you feel like a damn iddiot. The engine guard lined up just perfect with one of the oil gallery 17mm hex head caps and broke off the cap. I rode like 2 blocks and saw my oil light on because I had no oil in the engine. So much for leaving the scene, so walk home.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
26 May 2007 18:43 #143770 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
I've been down a few times, and the Engine Guards saved my engine.
One time was at low speed on the main drag in the city. Just crossing from the left side of a lane to the right and I hit an oil slick in the middle. Went down with tons of people walking by, and picked her up right away. It must not have looked bad, because no one offered any assistance. I had to push her around the corner to check for damage. Everything seemed OK, started her up and off I went.

Another time, I started to get a wobble on a highway on ramp. I was moving at about 80 KPH when it started, and slowed down but that made it worse. It got so bad I went down. I remember sliding along the ground and seeing my bike sliding before me on the right side, then the wheels grabbed and she flipped over to the left side. As soon as I stopped, I ran over to the bike and picked her up and pushed her to the side of the highway. The engine guards did their job that day. My left hand was road rashed to the bone in a few spots. The car behind me stopped and offered me a ride to the Hospital, which I took.
In the Hospital, the nurse scrubbing the wounds clean of road gravel was the worse part. :pinch:
Called my Dad, and he came over. We went and picked up my bike right when I got out.
My tank still has a dent from that experience, and my guards have some scratches, but my engine was intact.

There have been a few other instances as well, so I'm a firm believer in the usfulness of Engine Guards.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 May 2007 19:19 #143794 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
oh sandy,where did we go wrong?:ohmy: :blink: :unsure: :S :dry: :huh: :blush: :P

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
26 May 2007 22:06 #143848 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
wireman wrote:

oh sandy,where did we go wrong?:ohmy: :blink: :unsure: :S :dry: :huh: :blush: :P

It's all good...don't blame Yourself...it's all My own doing.:laugh:

Interesting stories...thanks Men!B)

It's just that position,that kills Me.And I even have a new Corbin seat,but it doesn't help much.Don't get Me wrong...the seat is nice,and comfy,but it's just My butt!I know that if I could just get My legs out for a stretch while riding,I wouldn't have to stop so often.

I might have to test them out...maybe tomorrow even,and see how I like them.One more peg to modify before I can mount it to the bar.
I never thought I'd have cruizin-pegs,but Ya know...it's not ALL about looks...IS IT?
:laugh:
Thanks again Guys.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
26 May 2007 22:16 #143854 by Bob_79KZ
Replied by Bob_79KZ on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
I've got them on my kz1000ST but I'm taking them off because they are ugly!!! They might be practical, but yuck...too ugly. IMHO

Bob

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
26 May 2007 22:29 #143861 by Sandy
Can You post a pic of them,Bob?
I'm curious...

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
26 May 2007 22:37 #143862 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
I dropped my 650 3 times Sandy and without those engine guards I would be looking for a new engine or a new bike. The guard on the points side is a little bent, but what if the guard wasn't there. I hit and oil slick once and I was still on the bike when it went down, and the guards gave me a clearance that I could still have my legs between the bike and the road and I got to tell you, that bike did a 180 on the ground. When I picked it up it was facing oncoming traffic. Use them if you got them!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Sandy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
More
26 May 2007 23:46 #143873 by Sandy
Right on Wolf...thanks for that,Bud...good to know.
I had a pair on My last 1000,but that was SO long ago,and here We are,20 years later...wow.
And also...just installed a new dynamo cover and a new points cover for that reason alone(damaged from tip-overs),SO...pretty sure they'll stay on.
I'll get the other peg on there tomorrow and post a pic of what they look like,and get Your Guy's opinion.
Thanks again.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
27 May 2007 04:24 #143886 by bemoore
Replied by bemoore on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
Just an FYI. On my 650C1, the pegs drag before the guards. I've never had the guards drag. Of course, once the pegs drag, I slow down.

77 KZ650C1 w/Kerker 4-1

More
27 May 2007 05:16 #143890 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Who's using Engine Guards?
Bought my GPz750 w/case savers already installed. Both savers were bent and road-rashed but the actual cases were in great shape...I figure that alone allowed the PO to sell the bike to me:) Rephrased, if the bike would have hit the concrete w/out the savers, it would have been parted out, not sold whole (to me):)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A