Open Header question

More
26 May 2007 19:59 #143812 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Open Header question
Put rings in dry? Was that the April issue by chance?

I rebuilt a lawn mower back in high school and did so dry. It promptly seized. We knocked it loose and it mowed for a number of years. :evil:

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2007 20:03 #143815 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Open Header question
wireman wrote:

:P thats gonna cost me!:woohoo:

Not anymore. Note what's under the frog. :S

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 May 2007 20:14 #143821 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Open Header question
hes still got connections!:blink: :P

More
28 May 2007 17:51 #144361 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic Open Header question
Probably as many different break in procedures out there as there are engine builders, and most of them will be okay.
I build drag motors and I usually don't have the time, or the engery, to run a motor 500 miles before it hits the track (most of them wouldn't lart 500 miles anyway!)

As far as the open header theory goes it really doesn't matter so make it easy on yourself.
Here is a break-in procedure that I've used for over 20 years and have had excellent result.

Assemble the pistons dry, prelube the cams and cam followers with a quality assemble lube and prelube the cam follower bores with the same engine oil you'll be using at startup.

Start the fresh engine and bring the RPM up to 3000 and hold it steady for three minutes (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COOLING FAN BLOWING ON THE ENGINE).
Let the engine cool to stone cold (at least four to five hours)and re-torque the head nuts to the recommended specs.

Repeat the above procedure two more times for a total of three cycles. The engine is now ready for the abuse you're going to give it....

REMEMBER: In order for the rings to seat you must have a straight bore and a good hone pattern so prep the cylinders correctly and make sure you're carefull when installing the pistons into the sleeves....

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
28 May 2007 18:20 #144367 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Open Header question
rings seat when they seat. sometimes that's before the motor is started. sometimes not at all.

More
28 May 2007 18:46 #144375 by katjbus
Replied by katjbus on topic Open Header question
I also have assemblled rings dry for years but DO NOT put the valve train together dry, only takes a second and you have big trouble, have not heard about open headers, I don't think it will make any diff. one way or the other

More
28 May 2007 19:09 #144391 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Open Header question
I've never heard of this open header trick and can't see the reason for it. Re: oil, I assemble engines with rings and lands lubed and spin the engine without plugs to circulate oil before start up. After the first hour or so of running time, I change the oil and filter to be sure there's nothing circulating that could cause wear or damage.