Low Compression?!

More
01 May 2007 14:02 #136164 by Aulus
Low Compression?! was created by Aulus
Greetings All,

Ok, I recently acquired a KZ440 '82 with about 3,000 original owner miles. The thing is cherry but dusty. I have a Clymer Manual and have purchased all of the tools listed for a Full Tune-up. While going through the tune-up, i checked piston compression (cold engine) after adjusting the valve clearance (first time ever carrying out such a procedure). What I found was disturbing... ~30 psi!!! I went through the forum's posts and tried putting 1/4 tablespoon of oil into the spark plug holes, then remeasuring compression. No change. Which leads me to believe it is the valve clearances. My understanding of valve clearances leads me to believe that the valves are not fully closing.

I AM a novice wrencher, and that was my first time going through valve-tappet clearance adjustments, but I know that I left a gap between the tappets and the valve/head. Any advice or hunches? This afternoon I'll be checking the valve clearances again, just to make sure there is still a gap.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2007 14:04 #136165 by Aulus
Replied by Aulus on topic Low Compression?!
In addition, I've fouled two sets of plugs and they looked black and wet. Couldn't distinguish between oil or gas smells at the time, but will definately do a full sniff comparison with a can of oil and the gas tank.

More
01 May 2007 14:30 #136168 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Low Compression?!
When you did the compression test, you did hold the throttle wide open, right?

I don't think the motor would even run with only 30 psi of compression.

KD9JUR

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
01 May 2007 14:30 #136169 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Low Compression?!
I think a leak-down test is in order. This will tell you where you are loosing compression--intake valves, exhaust valves, or past the pistons.

There is a document in the filebase that describes how to do this, and how to build your own tester.

It can be found here .

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/05/01 17:31

West Linn, OR

More
01 May 2007 14:49 #136177 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Low Compression?!
with compression that low and with mileage that low i would suspect that a valve or valves are stuck open, probably from some old goo in the engine. i would start by pulling the tappet caps and seeing if you have a crap load of clearance = valve stuck, or none at all = clearance too tight.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
01 May 2007 14:50 #136180 by Aulus
steell wrote:

When you did the compression test, you did hold the throttle wide open, right?

I don't think the motor would even run with only 30 psi of compression.

Throttle was wide open. Made sure of it.

The strange thing is the motor does run while the thing is choked, but even half-way off choke it dies. A complicating factor with that situation may be the addition of new emgo pod filters and haven't gotten to adjusting the idle mixture/idle speed, and hadn't considered rejetting the carbs until today.

More
01 May 2007 14:55 #136181 by Aulus
flht1997 wrote:

with compression that low and with mileage that low i would suspect that a valve or valves are stuck open, probably from some old goo in the engine. i would start by pulling the tappet caps and seeing if you have a crap load of clearance = valve stuck, or none at all = clearance too tight.

Now that you mention it, I did not have this problem before I used some SeaFoam in the gas tank. Perhaps the sea foam mobilized some gunk from the carbs and got stuck in the intake valve?

I'll take off the top of the engine and get a better look at the camshaft/valves tonight.

More
01 May 2007 15:05 #136183 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Low Compression?!
perhaps some stuck rings also?
also it seems unlikely that an engine would run with 30psi of compression, are you sure you have an accurate compression tester?

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
01 May 2007 15:14 #136185 by Aulus
flht1997 wrote:

are you sure you have an accurate compression tester?

Ha. Well, no...in my professional scientific opinion. I have not calibrated this compression tester and I picked it up for $40 from NAPA. I followed t he directions in the box and in the clymer manual. ::shugs::

More
01 May 2007 15:15 #136186 by Aulus
that was supposed to be : : shrugs : :

More
01 May 2007 15:18 #136187 by Aulus
flht1997 wrote:

perhaps some stuck rings also?

So the crankcase breather puffs quite a bit when I have it running with the choke full-on. I took a good look at the oil level and its above the top-mark.

so I feel

1. Either the rings are bad/stuck and engine compression is being lost to the crankcase

or

2. having too much oil is hard on the engine...which somehow results in puffing?

More
01 May 2007 21:59 #136343 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Low Compression?!
OK , Dont go crazy here ........

I dont know all that much about 440s but I KNOW BIKES.

If you have to much oil in it ,change it .

If you just put new air filters on the bike , take them OFF,you dont need them to test anything .

Gas tank in your way take it off.

Old gas in the bike ? dump it ,rinse it out and put in 1/2 a tank of fresh,when you are ready to run it .

THEN , check your valves ,leave them loose for this , you dont want to go for a ride now , your just trying to find out whats going on inside without taking it apart.

1974 Z1a, still 903