Low Compression?!

More
02 May 2007 04:55 #136383 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Low Compression?!
with that low amount of miles this thing must have been sitting for a long time,
and old trick used to free up rings was to pluu the plugs pour some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cyl, let it sit for a few days, then with the plugs out turn the engine over slow to pump the oil out of the cyl , may take some time to get the oil out, change the oil , install new plugs and fire it up let it run for a while to try to free up the rings

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2007 08:28 #136754 by Aulus
Replied by Aulus on topic Low Compression?!
Well, I followed the advice of some, not of all, and sprayed some PB Blaster into the cylinder via the spark plug holes, let it sit overnight, took off new pod filters, threw on old airbox+filter, used the $1.55 carb synch tool, and voila! it runs great. So, I'll be taking that compression gauge back to NAPA, buying some spare plugs in case these foul out, and riding into the sunset until I get the nerve to take out the stock airbox, buy a set of jets, and start tuning for the pod filters. Thanks for the help gang.

More
21 May 2007 10:06 #142008 by OldMan
Replied by OldMan on topic Low Compression?!
Hey I am new here, and am having similar issues to what you were. I missed the resolution ... PB what? Carb Synch Tool ... what is that? Could you possibly reply, and tell me where I can learn more about these things? Any help would be appreciated, cuz I, and the bike are dead in the water.

More
21 May 2007 11:40 #142030 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Low Compression?!
PB BLASTER is a pennitrating oil, you can get it at just about any parts store, carb sync tool, balances out the carbs so they are all pulling the same amount of vacum.
if you dont have one get a book for the bike, it will help tons

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 May 2007 12:19 #142045 by cuddies
Replied by cuddies on topic Low Compression?!
I did not see it mentioned on here, but when doing any compression check, the bike has to be at operating temperature, not cold. Also, the throttle needs to be wide open, but I see that you had that covered. Good to see that you got it fixed, but for future references..

More
21 May 2007 17:57 #142154 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Low Compression?!
During multiple tests, I found an average of 10 psi difference between hot and cold compression tests, so I don't think it matters all that much.

KD9JUR