Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?

More
29 Apr 2007 06:34 #135199 by 13thlevel
Supposed to have 2 throttle cables? was created by 13thlevel
I have a 1976 kz900 with a 1000 engine. I noticed there is only one throttle cable but the manual says there should be two. The engine is from a 1977. Did this engine not have 2 throttle cables? Why would someone remove the second one.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2007 06:39 #135200 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
one push and one pull (for safety or backup i would assume) in a pinch i have taken one off when the other one broke, used it on the other side and drove it this way for quite a while.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2007 07:57 #135212 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
arobsum wrote:

one push and one pull (for safety or backup i would assume) in a pinch i have taken one off when the other one broke, used it on the other side and drove it this way for quite a while.

What he said.

Having that second cable has saved me on the side of the road a long way from the barn a couple of times as well. ;)

The earlier Z/KZ vintage throttle setups seem to be tough on cables - I've snapped 4 out on the street over the years to memory - aside from the ones I've spotted in the nick of time. I've lubed, taken down hard edges on the twist-pulley with a dremel, all that stuff, and the cables still fray over time. Good idea to have that second cable and make a visual inspection part of the yearly inspection.

Sad to say, but throttle cables are waiting to go off on these birds...
Attachments:

More
29 Apr 2007 08:52 #135233 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
Interesting, I've never had to replace a throttle cable in all these years, but I have had a lot of trouble with the push/pull setup using low bars. For some reason with low bars on both the KZ1000 and KZ650 there was no way in the world to adjust the cables so they didn't cause the throttle to stick, so I opted to remove the push cable to regain non-sticky throttle operation. Maybe this is why you only have the one cable? With stock bars, never a problem so now I'm back to dual cables with stock bars.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2007 09:11 #135242 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
yeah ive broken a lot of the pull cables and swapped the push cable to pull position.i normally dont run all the extra crap on my handlebars so i just use the single cable dirtbike throttles without all the crap on them.ive snapped a lot of clutch cables over the years also;)

More
29 Apr 2007 09:41 #135256 by arobsum
i've went thru a couple clutch cables also...must be a weak point on these bikes.:)

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
29 Apr 2007 09:50 #135261 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
I have drag bars (0 rise and barely any pullback) and still have what appear to be the original dual cables on my bike and haven't had one break or any probs with my throttle sticking at all.
I guess-timate I've got around 40K with this setup, and frequently inspect/lube the inner cables and barrel ends. Perhaps your cables were routed to where it caused them to bind, Ron?

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
29 Apr 2007 10:03 #135266 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
I ahve nevr broke either cables, lots of clutch, oddly enough I am replacing both of them on the 1000

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• wireman
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2007 10:12 #135272 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
you guys just arent trying hard enough!!!!!:P i suppose lubing the cables does help,i should try that some time!:P i used to eat a lot of tach cables also,but they are a lot easier to oil than throttle cables;)

More
29 Apr 2007 14:46 #135337 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
i'v gone thru 3 clutch cables in 3,200 miles, one plastic throttle grip, and when replacing that i noticed my throttle cable was frayed but i drove it anyways, i however have a new cable waiting to go on.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

More
29 Apr 2007 16:00 #135358 by arobsum
wireman wrote:

you guys just arent trying hard enough!!!!!:P i suppose lubing the cables does help,i should try that some time!:P i used to eat a lot of tach cables also,but they are a lot easier to oil than throttle cables;)

its been the speedo with me, for some reason my bike has went thru 2 so far.:)

More
01 May 2007 06:06 #135939 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Supposed to have 2 throttle cables?
27 years and 49,000 miles and I'm still on original throttle cables (have never lubed them). Went thru 2 tach cables and one spedo. Clutch was ok but changed it just for the hell of it.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!