starter noise

More
19 Apr 2007 04:44 #131771 by Booncha57
starter noise was created by Booncha57
my starter works fine but when i let go of the button it makes this pretty loud chirpy rubbing sound. does something need to be lubed up in there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2007 06:08 #131777 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic starter noise
You don't lube a starter and as for the noise, if its in the engine itself, its already in oil

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
19 Apr 2007 07:30 #131802 by Booncha57
Replied by Booncha57 on topic starter noise
yeah im not sure what is going on in there. it does it when it disengauges i think. almost like it doesnt disengauge right away. thats why i thought there might be something to lube, like its not resleasing fast enough or something.

More
19 Apr 2007 07:56 #131808 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic starter noise
You might want to pull it and give it a good cleaning.Check the brushes,and bushings while You have it apart.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
19 Apr 2007 08:07 #131810 by Fourtoes
Replied by Fourtoes on topic starter noise
Sounds like the starter motor to me!

More
19 Apr 2007 08:20 #131816 by Sandy
I would just pull it and inspect it.

The commutator(where the brushes make contact)gets full of carbon powder(in the grooves),and it can create a short...they NEED to be cleaned.
I JUST had Mine out,and it was full of deposits from the brushes.Never had a problem with it,but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have been much longer,and I would have had to pull it anyway.

I had the alternator cover off,so I thought I would pull the starter while I was in there...peace of mind.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
19 Apr 2007 08:23 #131817 by Sandy
It could also be the solenoid...or even the switch on the handlebars...but I'm guessing it's right at the starter.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
19 Apr 2007 12:46 #131909 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic starter noise
I would pull the starter and check it out, like others have sugested, but the sound you are hearing is most likely the starter clutch, which is deep inside the bowels of the engine on the 650/750 four cylinder engines. It may eventually fail, but my bike has been making this noise (sounds like an old car "aaooga" horn) for about 15,000 miles now, with no sign if it getting worse. If it does fail, there are a fair number of posts on this forum that talk about how to go about fixing it.

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
19 Apr 2007 19:37 #132054 by Booncha57
Replied by Booncha57 on topic starter noise
yeah its the aaoogga sound. my girl friends honda cl350 does the same thing. i wonder what it is. im fine with it as long as it doesnt fail on me. (my kick starter doesnt work)

More
20 Apr 2007 06:08 #132171 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic starter noise
Did you pull in the clutch when using the kick starter, cos that could be why your kick starter doesn't work either that or the teeth don't engage

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
20 Apr 2007 06:21 #132178 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic starter noise
More than likely it's the rear bushing in the starter. I have 3 starters and they all made that sound even if I was bench testing them. I haven't found a source yet for a new bushing or rear plate so I make it part of my annual winter clean up to pull the starter clean it good and put some never seize on the shafts as I put it together. Haven't had the noise since and the starter turns easier too.
Ride Safe,
Les

The old Chrysler gear reduction starter had this same problem. I used to really tic my boss off by just replacing the end plate on starters, it could be done without removing the starter, instead of the whole starter. Customers appreciated it but he was pissed everytime I did it,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post edited by: The Milkman, at: 2007/04/20 09:50

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

More
20 Apr 2007 06:44 #132184 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic starter noise
I read an article in a "Classic Motorcycle Mechanic" magazine several months ago that talked about this problem. I was interested 'cause my bike will "uuagh" if I hold the starter button down too long.

The starter clutch they were describing had three sets of rollers and springs. The "uuagh" sound comes from the rollers wearing flat spots after a while and begin sliding instead of rolling and the springs wear and don't hold the rollers in piece hard enough when they engage the rotor (causing the flat spots).

On some of the on-line parts sites I've even seen replacement kits for the roller and springs....can't remember where but I could try and find it if you're interested.

Another possibility. Milkman's explanation seems logical too.