Can you use Restore when u change oil?

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
18 Apr 2007 22:56 #131743 by oldkaws4ever
Can you use Restore when u change oil? was created by oldkaws4ever
i was at autozone today getting oil for the z1 900, i seen a lubricant by the oil called restore( i have used this in cars in the past), is this product safe to use in the motorcycle? if anybody knows let me know

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2007 23:04 #131746 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
I have heard of/seen it, it might affect the clutch:unsure: cars don't have to worry about using "possibly contaminated" engine oil for their clutch.

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
18 Apr 2007 23:43 #131752 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
Yeah I wouldnt try it. Manual says to never use oil additives because of the "wet" clutch. I bet if you put duralube in there the bike wouldnt move anymore! Not sure what ill effects restore could have, I've used it in cars too but I wouldnt take any chances!

• oldkaws4ever
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
18 Apr 2007 23:49 #131753 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
thanks alot ar15ron, that saved me alot of agervation, and posibally alot of money;)

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
19 Apr 2007 06:10 #131778 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
A whole lot

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 06:38 #131789 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
Saw the guts of a guy's bike that had dumped a bobble of "Slick 50" in with an oil change.

Teflon-goo don't do a clutch much good.

Don't know anything about "Restore" in particular, but I think the only thing stuff like "Marvel Mystery Oil" does is *restore* profits to miracle-cure peddlers from the pockets of people hoping for a quick-fix.

Nothing beats good oil and a good filter. ;)
Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2007 06:52 #131790 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
Over the years I've used Slick 50, STP oil treatment and the like and had the horrendous experience of
Nothing
Clutch worked exactly as before, oil consumption was exactly the same as before.
I still wouldn't use it though, mostly because of the nothing part.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
19 Apr 2007 07:08 #131795 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
I've never put anything in my bike, and never will. I have however used duralube for years in my cars. I swear that stuff actually works. It is seriously slippery stuff. I use some in an oil can to break things free that cannot be broken free by any other means. I'm not a chemist but it does seem to have some magical properties. I'd put money on it making a KZ unable to move under its own power if you put it in there! Don't think duralube makes any claims to restoring scored cylanders or any of that ridiculousness. They do claim it reduces friction and tends to stay on the cylander walls long after the regular oil has drained away, thats the only reason I use it. I sometimes don't start my truck for 6-8 months so any little bit helps. I've had bad experiences with slick50 and CD-2 and major engine sludge build up etc. I think most of that is magic snake oil :) Nothing like clogging up the oil passages to put the fork in a motor.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 07:13 #131797 by Pterosaur
RonKZ650 wrote:

Over the years I've used Slick 50, STP oil treatment and the like and had the horrendous experience of

Nothing
Clutch worked exactly as before, oil consumption was exactly the same as before.
I still wouldn't use it though, mostly because of the nothing part.

That's probably because you changed your oil at least once a decade. ;)

And you're probaby not an every red light *Hole Shot Andy Warhol*, either.

A slight omission in my previous was that after dumping in the Slick, the owner of the aforementioned POS thought his oil-changing days were over - as well as most other forms of maintenence.

Aside from the teflon dropping out of suspension and making some very pretty sludge around the oil pump pickup, the clutch plates were an ice skater's dream.

So yeah, I could see where the Slick wouldn't overtly screw up a decent motor operated decently - but the overwhelming majority of people that go for Miracle Cures (tm) have already thrashed a motor into a state that'd qualify as crimes against engineering anyways.

Saw a Ford Van motor with 300,000 on the clock fried alive in its own oil when a guy bought it from a fleet operation and dumped Sick 50 in it - teflon merged with the sludge in the journals and pretty prevented oil from getting anywhere it was designed to go.

So go ahead and run it. I'll pass.
Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2007 08:35 #131821 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
wow.. glad you asked this question, cause I've got a can of restore sitting at home waiting to go in my car. I was gonna toss a bit in the bike when I was done. I hadn't thought about the clutch..so yeah, good save. :)

Thanks!

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
19 Apr 2007 11:02 #131874 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Can you use Restore when u change oil?
It's kind of hard to imagine Slick50 doing any harm. It's been a long time but wasn't Slick50 basically 95% oil and 5% additives some of which was teflon? This mixed 1 quart in an oil change of 5 quarts would net about a 1% total teflon in the system or so at the most.
The wet clutch and additives thing is mostly just a liability thing and the fact companys don't care to test the products with a wet clutch since it's not a major market for them.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 11:26 #131881 by Pterosaur
RonKZ650 wrote:

It's kind of hard to imagine Slick50 doing any harm. It's been a long time but wasn't Slick50 basically 95% oil and 5% additives some of which was teflon? This mixed 1 quart in an oil change of 5 quarts would net about a 1% total teflon in the system or so at the most.

Well, as I said before, the nightmares I've seen it cause were in older motors where some genius figured he'd get a $19.95 overhaul-in-a-can.

ANY inert partiulate you cram into a sludged-up motor is gonna add to its problems.

The wet clutch and additives thing is mostly just a liability thing and the fact companys don't care to test the products with a wet clutch since it's not a major market for them.

I'd suppose that's true.

But what I'm more worried about is *you* - you feeling okay? For such a normally dyed-in-the-wool OEM kinda guy, you're sure taking an *aftermarket* stand on things...
Attachments: