GPZ Head on KZ

More
17 Apr 2007 07:55 #131065 by chrismcd68
GPZ Head on KZ was created by chrismcd68
I have a couple of issues here. I bought this 1982 kz750 H3 LTD with a GPZ750 head on the KZ750. This brings up at least one problem, the Tach doesn't work. I was told that the GPZ head supports a digital tach and the KZ head a Mechanical Tach. I am not 100% sure what is meant by that but I assume that the GPZ tach is all "done" through the wireing harness. I bought a 1980 GPZ750 Tach off ebay (for $10) and am now wondering whether or not I should try to install it as a replacement for my KZ750 Tach...

The other issue is the head gasket. Am I correct in assuming that the head gasket for the GPZ750 is the same as the gasket for the KZ750 since the head was a "bolt on"? Should I get the GPZ gasket or the KZ gasket? It does leak and I'd like to get it finished before the summer gets here.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2007 08:19 #131070 by cottoncandyninja
Replied by cottoncandyninja on topic GPZ Head on KZ
how ironic, this is exactly the project im working on myself right now. im sure theres other out there too that will have input for you though. the gpz tacho will need to run off of one of the coil wires so it gets that pulse so it can represent the rpms on the gauge. the tricky part about this (i have the same model and year as you) is that there are three plugs coming off the original ltd gauge cluster whereas theres only one coming off the gpz. so now if you want to go the full distance with this, you need to obtain a wiring diagram from both the 82 750 (they are year specific so you must try to get the exact year and model for both diagrams) and whatever year gpz you got the gauge off of. from what i understand (as ive yet to do it) is you need to track each wire and see what each one does and plug them together accordingly. and yes the gaskets are the same due to the fact that the heads are identical except for the small differences about the tach worm gear hole and the mild porting job on the gpz heads. man, if steell reads this he'll be so proud...

More
17 Apr 2007 13:02 #131195 by steell
Replied by steell on topic GPZ Head on KZ
:P

KD9JUR

• Bdog
  • User
  • Sweep the leg johnny!!!
More
17 Apr 2007 13:41 #131211 by Bdog
Replied by Bdog on topic GPZ Head on KZ
Actually, I am not sure the 80-82 gpz's had the electric tach. The one that I run is from an 83-85 gpz. Not hard to hook up, but you will need the right part.
Check archives for wiring diagrams for this swap.

Bdog
B)

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/338400-a-little-bit-of-an-upgrade

'77 KZ650-C1 -- build
810 kit
GPZ cams and carbs
ZX6R front end
GSXR600 Rear
Kerker
Dyna
Accel
ContiMotion tires (120/60-17&170/60-17)

More
17 Apr 2007 13:50 #131216 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic GPZ Head on KZ
the other option is you can have the boss drilled so you can run a mechanical tach.
wish i can find a gpz750 head for $10!
the gpz cams also do not have the worm gear on them for a tach so you will either need to find somthing like kz700 cams or a nice set of aftermarket if you want a mechanical tach.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
17 Apr 2007 17:41 #131291 by steell
Replied by steell on topic GPZ Head on KZ
I'm pretty sure the electronic tach was first used on the Uni-Trak (83-85 GPz750) models, I believe the 81-82 was mechanical.

KD9JUR

More
17 Apr 2007 18:33 #131317 by chrismcd68
Replied by chrismcd68 on topic GPZ Head on KZ
I'm only going by what I was told by the PO. I can't find a spot on the GPZ head for a mechanical Tach. Or...it may have been sealed up...I'll have to strip the thing down and look more closely...

More
17 Apr 2007 19:29 #131332 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic GPZ Head on KZ
chrismcd68 wrote:

I'm only going by what I was told by the PO. I can't find a spot on the GPZ head for a mechanical Tach. Or...it may have been sealed up...I'll have to strip the thing down and look more closely...

I dont think you will find anything. I doubt the factory would go through the bother of machining a hole only to plug it because it wouldnt be used. that being said, you could drill it yourself and get different cams (ones with the worm gear) and run the mechanical tach, but I would just get an electronic tach. an aftermarket one at that. there have been some members here with them(with led displays and lots of cool features). I have been thininking about putting one on my 650 if the thing ever gets finished:P

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
18 Apr 2007 01:59 #131404 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic GPZ Head on KZ
The 1982 GPz750 used an electric tach, as does the 1982 Spectre 750 (KZ750-N1) and most likely the Spectre 1100.

Find a tach from a Spectre! It's the same size and shape as your stock tach, bolts right up and takes a signal from your coil.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"