What have my mods done?

More
12 Apr 2007 21:36 #129518 by ronjones
What have my mods done? was created by ronjones
So, y'all can see the mods I've done in my sig line. I'm going to go up to a 120 main jet. Now, to my understanding by putting pods on I've increased the air flow and have compensated by increasing the gas flow w/bigger jets. According to the kawasaki.com parts site, and my FSM, anything over a 115 main is considered "for racing only". I also understand that by going to a 2 to 1 exhaust system I've improved performance. Presumably "for racing only" would indicate that my performance has been enhanced. So I've "increased performance" because I'm now burning more gas which is being supported by more air. I'll also be adjusting the airfuel mixture screw to something other than the, inefficient, EPA mandated stock adjustment and have a "more efficient" exhaust system. Now my question is what have these mods actually done?:huh::blush:
I also guess I've done something to improve the performance by adjusting my valves? Manuel says stock puts out 55hp@7K rpm.

Post edited by: ronjones, at: 2007/04/13 00:56

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2007 21:39 #129520 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic What have my mods done?
I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, but the BS34's may be a bit much for a 750 . What does everyone else think?

More
12 Apr 2007 21:41 #129521 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic What have my mods done?
austin3119 wrote:

I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, but the BS34's may be a bit much for a 750 . What does everyone else think?

The 34's are stock, Austin.

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
12 Apr 2007 21:48 #129523 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic What have my mods done?
Now don't I feel like a moron. Haa.:) :blush:

More
12 Apr 2007 21:50 #129525 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic What have my mods done?
austin3119 wrote:

He!!, I'm the one that doesn't know what he's done to his own bike:laugh:

More
12 Apr 2007 22:25 #129530 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic What have my mods done?
ronjones wrote:

austin3119 wrote:

He!!, I'm the one that doesn't know what he's done to his own bike:laugh:

I understand you have done some performance mods, but you don't list the REAL performance mods? How much shiny stuff have you added? Have you painted anything? Did you put in any neon lights colored turn signals or blue tinted head lights?

Seriously though, I have no idea in terms of real HP what you gain but if you can feel a difference than it's significant. My personal theory is that you can't "feel" less than about a 10 HP difference :)

More
13 Apr 2007 03:56 #129554 by steell
Replied by steell on topic What have my mods done?
austin3119 wrote:

Then you "really" don't want to hear that the 76-80 750 twins had BS38's stock :D

As far as a performance gain goes, maybe 2-3 hp, but you need to keep a couple of things in mind.

55 hp was the factory rating, in other words a brand new motor in perfect tune under ideal conditions. A long time ago someone posted that they had put their 750 twin on a Dyno and it made 44-45 hp at the rear wheel.

Regarding not being able to detect anything less than a 10 hp increase, I think it is more a percentage increase than a fixed number. You would probably not notice a 10 hp increase on a 400 hp motor, but I'm sure you would notice a 10 hp increase on a 10 hp motor :)

KD9JUR

More
13 Apr 2007 04:07 #129555 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic What have my mods done?
steell wrote:

austin3119 wrote:

Regarding not being able to detect anything less than a 10 hp increase, I think it is more a percentage increase than a fixed number. You would probably not notice a 10 hp increase on a 400 hp motor, but I'm sure you would notice a 10 hp increase on a 10 hp motor :)

You know you make a good point, I'm still thinking in terms of cars where your starting out with HP measured in hundreds :) I'm not great at math but I think 3 HP would be like 18% which would be pretty significant.

More
13 Apr 2007 04:56 #129569 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic What have my mods done?
before you start changing jest and such, have you read your plugs?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
13 Apr 2007 05:42 #129573 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic What have my mods done?
AR15Ron wrote:

I'm not great at math but I think 3 HP would be like 18% which would be pretty significant.

OK, I am good at math, and 3 horses are 5.45% of 55 horses, and are 6.6% of 45 horses. To get an 18% increase on a 750 twin you would need about 8 more rear wheel horses, which would take, what, at least three more squirrels?:silly:

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
13 Apr 2007 05:56 #129579 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic What have my mods done?
The only way to have known for sure was a before and after dyno test. Otherwise you're just comparing the present performance to your memory. And since you're spending time and money, you'll subconsciously judge the present performance as improved even if it actually the same or a bit worse.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
13 Apr 2007 06:40 #129592 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic What have my mods done?
Mr. Ronjones,
I did comparable mods to my bike about a year ago. I have a 750-4cyl., but for the sake of discussion let's just say the mods are similar. Steell is probably pretty close to the mark on this. I had mine dyno'd after I'd fiddled with it and I think the results showed about 62HP. I remember being a little disappointed at the time, but after keeping an eye on other people's posts I've come to the conclusion that that's pretty respectable without any major engine work. As Steell said, we're dealing with 30 year old bikes here, and the factory manuals would have been optimistic anyway. Bottom line, if you can feel a difference after all your work, then you should be proud of yourself.
So to answer the question posited in the title of the post...spent some time, money, bloody knuckles, and energy making you feel good about doing something you enjoy!B) B) B)

Post edited by: Wirewulf, at: 2007/04/13 09:41