What have my mods done?

More
13 Apr 2007 11:52 #129696 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic What have my mods done?
Thanks for the replies, everyone:)I hope I did these quote boxes right:huh:

AR15Ron wrote:

...I understand you have done some performance mods, but you don't list the REAL performance mods? How much shiny stuff have you added? Have you painted anything? Did you put in any neon lights colored turn signals or blue tinted head lights? ...quote]

Although I have done a little paintin' and polishin', Ron, I thought I'd leave those heavy "performance upgrades" for a time when I loose the few remaining brain cells I have left:)...Unless upgrading to an H4 headlight counts:)

BSKZ650 wrote:

before you start changing jest and such, have you read your plugs?

BSKZ650, the bike had been setting for quite awhile and the original jets were shot, so I replaced them all. I haven't been able to get a really good ride on it since getting it rerunning but I'm getting some backfire through the exhaust, w/the 117.5 mains, on the little test drives I've made. No adjustment on the needle, except a washer.

steell wrote:

...As far as a performance gain goes, maybe 2-3 hp, but you need to keep a couple of things in mind.

55 hp was the factory rating, in other words a brand new motor in perfect tune under ideal conditions. A long time ago someone posted that they had put their 750 twin on a Dyno and it made 44-45 hp at the rear wheel....quote]

N0NB wrote:

The only way to have known for sure was a before and after dyno test. Otherwise you're just comparing the present performance to your memory. And since you're spending time and money, you'll subconsciously judge the present performance as improved even if it actually the same or a bit worse.

Nate and Steell, I'd never heard of dyno testing until hanging out here. Awhile back I was in a local shop, for something else, and asked about another problem I was having and he mentioned dyno testing and if I heard him right he's talking $250. I don't think that's gonna' happin':pinch: As far as my memory of how it performed, 12yrs ago, the only thing I remember was that it had good power on the low end, great acceleration, but seemed to labor on the high end. I doubt that I'm gonna be doin' any racin'. I was just curious for information sake.

Wirewulf wrote:

Mr. Ronjones,

So...what's w/the Mr?:huh::blink:

I did comparable mods to my bike about a year ago. I have a 750-4cyl., but for the sake of discussion let's just say the mods are similar. Steell is probably pretty close to the mark on this. I had mine dyno'd after I'd fiddled with it and I think the results showed about 62HP. I remember being a little disappointed at the time, but after keeping an eye on other people's posts I've come to the conclusion that that's pretty respectable without any major engine work. As Steell said, we're dealing with 30 year old bikes here, and the factory manuals would have been optimistic anyway.

Cool info, Wirewulf, between you and Steell, I now have an idea of where I'm at. Like I said above, I doubt I'm gonn be doing any racing and I even got a couple of more horses out of my tinkering I'll be pretty happy. Just don't want to be left behind if I'm riding w/a group. Especially by my step-daughter on her new 883 hardley:):evil:

[/quote] Bottom line, if you can feel a difference after all your work, then you should be proud of yourself.
So to answer the question posited in the title of the post...spent some time, money, bloody knuckles, and energy making you feel good about doing something you enjoy!B) B) B)<br><br>Post edited by: Wirewulf, at: 2007/04/13 09:41[/quote]

And this is exactly why I did it...just knowing that I've got a few hidden improvements adds a little icing on the cake...maybe getting some extra bragging rights:)

Thanks again, for all the responses, guys. I really appriciate it:)
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.