Starting a 77 kz1000 engine-what is needed?

• wireman
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 22:11 #127595 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Starting a 77 kz1000 engine-what is needed?
mount your engine where it needs to be then find a convenient spot for electrical stuff like your coils and regulator and battery and that kind of stuff and wire up what you are going to use.i wouldnt worry about trying to use your stock harness,for the fewwires you will actually need it would be easier to make a new wiring harness to fit.get your motor mounted and make a nice neat panel to mount your electrical stuff and we will guide you through hooking it up;) you need to decide what you are running 1st though so we have something to go byB)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2007 23:20 #127606 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Starting a 77 kz1000 engine-what is needed?
kirmit77 wrote:

ok im a little dumb on this subject but, when you say connect the dots, what exactly do you mean? how will i get spark to the engine?

Ok, it appears you are not a gearhead and will need some specifics.

Two coils, with two towers for spark plug wire connection on each coil.

Two sets of points under right front cover on motor sidecover, someone else will have to tell you which set of points to wire to which coil.

Each coil must have 12 volts going to one of the small terminals (it don't matter which one)
The other terminal on each coil goes to one of the two sets of points (I don't know which points for which cylinders, someone else will chime in here)

each coil has two spark plug wires, one coil feeds #1 and #4 spark plugs, the other feeds #2 and #3 spark plugs.

The cylinders are numbered 1 2 3 4 starting from the left when facing the side with the carbs.

It would be a good idea to have an on/off switch on the two 12 volt wires feeding the coils so you can shut it off :)

That should give you a rough idea of how to wire up the ignition side, we can add the details as needed, then get to the starting and charging circuits.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/04/08 02:21

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.