white smoke..

More
07 Apr 2007 13:12 #127428 by brianrae33
white smoke.. was created by brianrae33
have an earlier post about cylinder bores..just wondering..white smoke out the header would be fuel related right??sorry to harp on this but i have a ton of money tied up in this top end and just need a little piece of mind..thought there was also oil dripping out the end but much to thin so i'm thinking fuel as well..my machinist bored the cylinders and replaced the chamfer..got rings in with a little difficulty but once in turned over very smooth...

1982 kz1000ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 13:34 #127434 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic white smoke..
brianrae33 wrote:

have an earlier post about cylinder bores..just wondering..white smoke out the header would be fuel related right??sorry to harp on this but i have a ton of money tied up in this top end and just need a little piece of mind..thought there was also oil dripping out the end but much to thin so i'm thinking fuel as well..my machinist bored the cylinders and replaced the chamfer..got rings in with a little difficulty but once in turned over very smooth...

..white smoke out the header would be fuel related right?? ...thought there was also oil dripping out the end but much to thin so i'm thinking fuel as well..

Possibly - seen similar situations.

Another clue being the *color* of the smoke and how fast it dissipates after it exits the muffler; blue and thick smoke that hangs around awhile is oil - white that evaporates almost immediately is fuel.

Might be time for a compression check and if that's not totally out of whatck, check the valve clearances - I'm blue in the face with repeating Wired George's mantra.... ;)

There's potential carb issues as well; you might just be running as rich as Bill Gates - hard to tell with the details available.... :P

More
07 Apr 2007 13:38 #127436 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic white smoke..
vavlve clearence is dead on...fresh bore job that hasn't been ridden yet..just started and idled...was having a problem with it only running on 3 and 4 cylinders but have since sorted that out...i know it needs to be rode..but has a shitload of compression as compared to before...really have to jump on it to start it..sorry..probably just being paranoid:blink:

1982 kz1000ltd

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
07 Apr 2007 13:49 #127438 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic white smoke..
brianrae33 wrote:

vavlve clearence is dead on...fresh bore job that hasn't been ridden yet..just started and idled...was having a problem with it only running on 3 and 4 cylinders but have since sorted that out...i know it needs to be rode..but has a shitload of compression as compared to before...really have to jump on it to start it..sorry..probably just being paranoid:blink:

...probably just being paranoid :blink:

Yep. ;)

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay premature to tell much of anything, since those rings are not seated yet and the #'a 1&2 cylinders have only just started pulling their fair share of the load.

No need to freak out just yet. :laugh: :laugh: B)

More
07 Apr 2007 14:23 #127446 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic white smoke..
Just another thought. If it's only been started a few times you might be burning off something from the machine shop? Oil smoke usually has a blue tinge to it, white smoke can be a number of things from fuel to water. If you are using fuel that has been sitting in the tank for a long time it could be bad. If your exhaust has water in it you would have white smoke until it burns off. Just a thought, before you panic :) I had no fire in 3+4 for about 4 attempts of running the bike. Once I finally had it straightened out it smoked for about 5 minutes burning off all the crap in those 2 cylanders from them not firing all that time. I had kind of blackish smoke from mine.

Ron