Bad Gas???

More
02 Apr 2007 17:21 #125947 by BSKZ650
Bad Gas??? was created by BSKZ650
the bad bike gremlins have got me, I rode about 250 on sunday, good ride, got on it tonight, spits through the carbs, pops in the exhaust, surges at riding speed ( 30-45 mph ), man this is odd, the last thing I did was to fill up at a local Exxon, does this sound like bad gas or has something else happened??

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 17:31 #125950 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Bad Gas???
Could be crap gas - it's happened before.

Another possibilty, without having an intimate knowledge of what the inside of your gas tank looks like - is foreign junk - rust, what-have-you congregating on the nylon standpipe filter in your tank and blocking glow to the petcock...

It's also possible that an air leak developed in a carb/head boot between the time you shut down, the motor cooled off and you went to re-start tonight.

Those are the cheap-o possibilities to fix - things get more complicated/expensive from there.

I'd try draining the tank first and re-filling with known good gas, then working down the list if things don't improve... ;)

More
02 Apr 2007 17:39 #125955 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Bad Gas???
the tank is pretty clean, I always keep it full of gas to prevent rust,
it just seems strange that this started after I parked it for the night.
I am going to drain the tank and see if anything changes

76 kz900, just waiting

More
02 Apr 2007 17:41 #125956 by BSKZ650
Bad me the bike is the 77 ltd 1000, sorry

76 kz900, just waiting

More
03 Apr 2007 05:51 #126068 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bad Gas???
If you have an inline fuel filter on the bike, I would swap that out as well... even a fairly new filter can clog up with crud in the gas which you may have picked up when you filled up and cause the bike to act this way. It HAS happened to me several times.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
05 Apr 2007 06:21 #126650 by BSKZ650
well this is going from bad to worse, drained the tank, put new fuel in, go to start it, nothing, dead battery, hmmm.

charge the battery, no good it is shorted out inside, go buy new one, charge it, no fire to the plugs.

It does have a dyna ignition on it, so now I need to trouble shoot this problem, guess its possible for the battery going bad to kill the ignition

76 kz900, just waiting

More
06 Apr 2007 07:03 #126994 by BSKZ650
update: found the problem with the no fire, some knuckle head pulled the power wire loose when he was changing the battery, I will be nice and not mention my name.
bike is still running like crap, pulled the carbs, full of crap in the bowls, not sure how it got past the fuel filter, which did have some dirt in it.
new fuel filter and did a quick clean of the carbs, still not running just right but better, going to pull them again and go thru them with a fine tooth comb, this should fix things, I hope

I did call the guy I was riding with he is having issues also, I think we got some crap gas

76 kz900, just waiting

More
06 Apr 2007 08:20 #127014 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Bad Gas???
I am sure you are aware but if the battery discharged, it won't run right till the battery is fully charged again. It is hard to ride the bike to charge the battery if it runs poorly. I had this happen a few weeks ago when I left the key on and the battery discharged. I was forced to put the battery on the trickle charger for 12 hours before the bike would run right again due to ignition issues caused by the discharged battery.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
06 Apr 2007 09:07 #127031 by BSKZ650
I think the battery going bad was just one of those things that happened at the same time I got crap gas. I did put a new fully charged battery in, 2amp charge over night,

I did do some of the standard checks prior to pulling the carbs, compression 120 in all cyl, seemed a bit low but they are all the same, checked the timing when I was able to get it up and running, figured the valves had to be pretty close since the compression was holding at 120.

hopefully things will slow down at the office so I can fully disasmble the carbs and clean them, going to sync them in also

76 kz900, just waiting