ever come close to your breaking point? kind of long

More
02 Apr 2007 16:31 #125935 by kawsakiman
i know this topic has cove up before and i did do a search on it.
so, life was good for the k-man.
finally found my gauges and a new seat for the zn1100 on e-bay and low and behold!
it's a guy 1 hour from me in lancaster,ny.
he knows my builder and agreed to end the auction early because i'm a local buyer.
got there and seen all his toys (schwingg!)
he even threw in a bunch of misc parts for free.
then i asked him how much for the tank (remember mine had a small tear in in?)
he says $5!
deal!
went home all giddy and smiling the whole way.

got out of work today and installed gauges and seat.
fine.
decided to do all my spring tune up stuff and go for a short putt.
(after all, it was 60 in upstate ny today)
changed oil no problum.
went on to the plugs.................

the neverending curse that has aflicted me my entire bike riding carreer was evident on #3.
you guessed it.
the po had stripped # 3 and tried a save a thread on it.
god dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was so pissed off i came close to hurting something i love.
walked away and had a beer.
then had another.
still pissed.
the insert came out with the plug and the moron didn't even use the right lenth one.
god damm him!.
now, last time i tried this on my 650,i nicked a valve with the 5/8 drill bit.
screwed up almost all my summer.
(sob!)

i now, thanks to a lot of you, have the experiance to tear the head off and pull the valves so i do not do that again.

now, two questions.
is there a pernament fix to this?
every insert i did always came out with a plug change.

and second,
should i say screw it, flycut the 1261 pistons i got and install the big bore kit and cams in a shafty?
i have yet to get carbs for my project bike yet.

it would be a 1261 with cam motion cams but i would be running the factory exhaust and airbox with the 34 cv's

sounds kind of silly don't it?
waste of perfectlly good parts with little or no performance.
(btw, i do have anotherj-head but that was going for my big bike.)
i'm so screwed!
if i use the j-head for my project, i got to start collecting parts all over again.

sorry for the long rant but now i'm 4 beers into my little fit and starting to feel better.
still real pissed though.

so,
what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2007/04/02 19:33

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2007 16:34 #125936 by kawsakiman

Attachments:

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 16:41 #125938 by Pterosaur
Anybody that ain't been *there* still has a lot to a *LOT* to learn about motorcycles.

Count to 1,927 - by ones, have at least 8 more beers while doing it, and by then - to paraphrase Jim Stafford -

"..thins 'll get fuzzy, then things 'll get blurry, then everything 'll be gone."

I'd take my advice - - remember I'm pre-med.

- Senator John Blutarski ;)
Attachments:

• wireman
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 18:41 #125968 by wireman
get yourself a tap same diameter as thread sert and glob it full of grease to catch any metal shavings and clean the threads out .get yourself a good thread insert from napa and loc tite that puppy in there with some red loctite put a plug in there and ride the wheels off of it while you look for a spare head to use,youve got nothing to lose,might as well try your luck.you can put a piece of tape around the tap as a guide where to stop if youre worried about going too far ;) take it from the guy on pacemaker #2,it aint worth stressing over!:P

More
02 Apr 2007 21:30 #126024 by AR15Ron
I agree with the above post 100%
Locktite that bitch in there, ride it for the season while you look for an ebay head and forget it's even there :)
If you find you are having trouble forgetting start over with the counting and drinking until it looks good again.

More
02 Apr 2007 21:50 #126028 by bigbadwolf76
Replied by bigbadwolf76 on topic ever come close to your breaking point? kind of long
AR15Ron wrote:

I agree with the above post 100%
Locktite that bitch in there, ride it for the season while you look for an ebay head and forget it's even there :)
If you find you are having trouble forgetting start over with the counting and drinking until it looks good again.

A helicoil (aka thread insert) will fix it right up. You may be even to install one without having to re-tap the threads (after all, they are meant for damaged threads).

I feel your pain bud. The PO on my Honda CB350 installed a helicoil and re-tapped a bit too far... right into the valve seat! No wonder the compression was low and the valve was feather edged. So I bought another head and managed to crack one of the valve guides 5 minutes out of the box! UGH! If I had any hair, I would have pulled it out that day.

Anyway... worst case scenario, you drill it, ream it, re-tap it and install another helicoil.

Cheers...

More
02 Apr 2007 22:27 #126032 by 77KZ650
red locktight on a new helicoil and never-seize on the plug. you should really always use some sort of nickle anti seize compound on plugs. dissimilar metals corrode to each other

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
03 Apr 2007 16:26 #126251 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic ever come close to your breaking point? update
well we were a little slow at work today so the boss
asked who wanted to take off early.
well of course i had to go.
took the time to rip the head off and pull the valves on #3
will be dropping it off at the local machine shop tommorrow to have a insert done right.
figured now would also be a good time to go over it and replace the seals and valve springs.
got over my anger from last night and remembered i planned on checking the valve clearances anyway.

who knows? maybe i'll get really ambitious and re-ring it since i had to come this far.

oh well, guess it's time to bloody the knuckles again!

i'll put some pictures in the projects forum tommorrow. batteries went dead and i am a lazy,lazy man.

• wireman
  • Visitor
03 Apr 2007 16:30 #126254 by wireman
id say run a tap through through the other 3 while youre at it,and run a botteming tap through every other screw hole on head;)

More
04 Apr 2007 04:59 #126345 by BSKZ650
hey wireman, pace maker #2 ?? , did you get them to warranty the first one or did you go past the 100,000 mile limit?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
04 Apr 2007 05:26 #126347 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic ever come close to your breaking point? update
We use these on fighter jets: www.newmantools.com/key.htm
Once you screw them into the hole and pound the tangs into it, it ain't never coming out.

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Apr 2007 07:07 #126379 by wireman
BSKZ650 wrote:

hey wireman, pace maker #2 ?? , did you get them to warranty the first one or did you go past the 100,000 mile limit?

too many smokin burnouts and wheelies!:evil: :P im gonna be due for number 3 here before too long,got get it checked on the 24th;)