Slipping Clutch high rpm

More
01 Apr 2007 15:52 #125627 by Wizzard
Slipping Clutch high rpm was created by Wizzard
I have a 1977 KZ 1000 Just put the bottom end back together (replaced 2nd gear) now the clutch slips at high rpm in the higher gears. It will grab great in first won't slip do brake tork even pull the front end up. In say 4th at 5-7 grand the clutch will slip when I try to gun the gas. I try to look it up in the shopmanual but doesn't help at all for adjusting the clutch. Any help would be great gotta have it ready for Friday the 13th run.:S

1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2007 18:33 #125681 by ABR
Replied by ABR on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
The type of slipping you talk about is same as you get in a car when the clutch is worn and ready to be replaced -- the low gears are fine, but you notice it when going into 4th or 5th and trying to accelerate. Don't know why this is but it's probably the same on a motorcycle.

More
01 Apr 2007 19:03 #125692 by TMOS34
Replied by TMOS34 on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
I am going to guess and say u are running a stock clutch, I would put some stiffer springs in it. It sounds like your clutch springs are going bad. I would try replacen the springs first.

Good luck !!!!!!!!

Post edited by: TMOS34, at: 2007/04/01 22:04

More
01 Apr 2007 20:04 #125713 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
All the other guys jumped to expensive conclusions before doing the small things first. On you sprocket cover there is a small rectangular cover, take off that cover and there is a adjusting screw in there. loose the nut and turn the screw out, then screw it in till you feel a little tension. I have had to clutch problems recently and if you looked at your clutches and the friction plates and metal disks are ok, then it would be one of the probs I had. My bike sat for like 4 months and all the oil drained out of them and I had some slipping for awhile till they became saturated again. the other prob I had was when I put a new front long screw in the sprocket cover after riding it for so long without the 2 screws for the front of the sprocket cover. When I put the screw in it changed the clutch adjustment only allowing contact of the clutch to like 4000rpm then slipping above that. Good luck I have said too much

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
01 Apr 2007 20:10 #125717 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
Remove this small cover and there will be a screw locked by a nut under it. This is part of my 650 but they are all designed the same

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

More
02 Apr 2007 11:49 #125849 by Wizzard
Replied by Wizzard on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
Yep an A1 not A2 was tired last night :side: As far as I know its a stock clutch so springs make sence. I think I'll try the adjustment first with everything apart maby somthing moved?? Any more ideas let me know Thanks Guys B)

1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

• wireman
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 12:14 #125858 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
Wizzard wrote:

Yep an A1 not A2 was tired last night :side: As far as I know its a stock clutch so springs make sence. I think I'll try the adjustment first with everything apart maby somthing moved?? Any more ideas let me know Thanks Guys B)

yeah id definately go with the adjustment 1st.when i was younger and wilder i thought heavy duty clutches and springs were a must now id say check your stock clutch plates if they are too far gone id swap them out for an extra clutch plate kit as far as springs go id measure the stock ones and reuse if they are within spec;)

More
02 Apr 2007 12:17 #125860 by peachc
Replied by peachc on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
Wizzard wrote:

I am happy your brought this up, I just found my KZ1000 starting to do that last night too. So I willdefinately be following the advice you get here:whistle:

More
02 Apr 2007 12:32 #125864 by Wizzard
Replied by Wizzard on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
I'll be try the stuff they say too lets hope the chepest thing is the right one to help us out.:unsure:

1977 KZ 1000
4-1 Headder
K&N filter
530 Chain & Sprokets
Rear Air Shocks

More
02 Apr 2007 22:27 #126033 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
Never slip your clutch again;)

kzzone.com/clutches.html

Jay

More
03 Apr 2007 00:50 #126050 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
APE Jay wrote:

Never slip your clutch again;)

kzzone.com/clutches.html

Jay

Got me interested, Jay. My problem is that even adjusted as it should the clutch will seize open as the 3 ballbearings get out of their places (Z1000R2 ´83 and sorry for my poor english). If clutch lever is adjusted correctly it will most definately do that. So I have to leave pretty much loose on the cable to avoid too long play on the clutch pusher. I have the APE Heavy Duty platekit in and it tends to stick a bit and therefore would like to get just a little more leverplay. Does #KCB900 work in my bike?

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
03 Apr 2007 03:14 #126056 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Slipping Clutch high rpm
TMOS34 wrote:

I am going to guess and say u are running a stock clutch, I would put some stiffer springs in it. It sounds like your clutch springs are going bad. I would try replacen the springs first.

Good luck !!!!!!!!<br><br>Post edited by: TMOS34, at: 2007/04/01 22:04

I always wondered, does stiffer clutch springs = harder to pull clutch lever?

Ron