newbie: I might buy this bike, please advise

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2007 21:32 #122993 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Herby wrote:

...and it's cosmetically in incredible condition.

Maybe it's just me and the English language, but the way I read it he's satisfied with the paint.

To which O.E.M. Jonez wrote:

Here we go again. :whistle:

Soapboxing hopefully overwith, none of which has utterly anything to do with the man's question and only serves to confuse the issue.

Herby wrote:

...However it does spew a little grey/blue smoke while it's running. Is this a definite sign that I'll need to have the top end rebuilt?

Pretty much.

If you have any friends or aquaintences that are sufficiently experienced, might be a good idea to have them look it over/listen for any other signs something mechanical could be amiss.

...Could it be something else? Local shops have quoted me over $1000 to rebuild the top end on this bike.

As mentioned by others above, the issues are likely to be valve related, probably guide seals - very common in older bikes. If you're modestly capable with basic tools, a lot of experience is available at your screen to significantly reduce that bill.

Please advise: is this bike a good investment?

Never owned one myself, but the people hereabouts seem to love them better than some of their own children, and the design was mechanically solid.

Seeing that all the touring goodies you're interested in are already in place, and given that aside from the valve issues the motor is in good shape, go for it. ;)

Addendum:

WiredOOd, in the next post down makes a good point. Depending on some specifics of the problem and how much a "little grey/blue smoke" is, it's entirely possible that motor could be ridden as is through this season without incurring any damage and the top end job could become next winter's project.

Just keep the oil level in the proper range.

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/03/24 01:20
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2007 21:58 #122998 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
id say it pretty much comes down to what you like,you gotta pay for it and you gotta ride it!;) if its smoking just a little id say ride it till you have to rebuild it,maybe get a season out of it that way before you have to dump a lot of money into it!;)

More
23 Mar 2007 22:54 #123010 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Looks like a deal to me. Like said the smoke may clear up. As far as the re-paint, don't worry I repainted my new 650 less than a year after I got it. Check it out it there's no sign of it being wrecked he just wanted his own color.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
24 Mar 2007 03:01 #123020 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
That bike needs a compression test pronto. The rings may be broken the guide seals may be shot, the thing could have been overheated or run low on oil. Yeah! They run on oil! At 34,000 the cam rollers are shot! the bores are sloppy, and the SMOKE is just a smoke bomb forgotten from a fourth of July joke. Come on guys, help this guy out. I know you all mean well, but your just not thinking right now. These things are bullet proof and if it smokes, there's a problem. And it may be that it's more than one. Top end only? Ok. But if there is more, then where the heck does what you all said come in to play as far as help? There is oil in the smoke. Cool. Take the readings, take off the top end, check the rollers. Check the whole damn thing out! What did he get? Ten answers to smoke and 34000 miles all saying what? Nothing. I wouln't pay more than 4 to 6 for that thing. I would say to the seller as a fair man, let's tear down the top end and see what's the matter and nogo the price from there. If the sellers says not, compression test the darn thing. Numbers speak over assumptions. Loudly. There is no reason not to get what your paying for, especially with the help of all the members of this forum.

More
24 Mar 2007 07:12 #123061 by HENRYJ
Replied by HENRYJ on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
I took all of the paint off of my bike just to spite RonKZ650....:laugh:
Can't hide any damage with no paint!

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2007 08:10 #123076 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
two round things in a paper bag that obviously ain't eyes.com wrote:

...compression test pronto.

Peachy idea.

[Rant deleted]
....Check the whole damn thing out! What did he get? Ten answers to smoke and 34000 miles all saying what? Nothing.

Horseshit.

The likely reasons for the smoke are hardened valve stem oil seals or possibly rings. A top end gasket set, some basic measuring tools and a set of rings might be all that are needed.

If you have any friends or aquaintences that are sufficiently experienced, might be a good idea to have them look it over/listen for any other signs something mechanical could be amiss.

...and given that aside from the valve issues the motor is in good shape...

Depending on some specifics of the problem and how much a "little grey/blue smoke" is...

See a pattern?

We're engaging a dialogue - that means talking to - a newcomer to the scene - not writing a Clymer manual in one evening.

I would say to the seller as a fair man, let's tear down the top end and see what's the matter and nogo the price from there.

Numbers speak over assumptions. Loudly.

And pulling the round thingies out of the sack and using them to read what's been written speaks over making horseshit assumptions about what's been said. Loudly.

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2007/03/24 22:29
Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2007 20:51 #123215 by Herby
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice.

I decided to go for it. I'm sure I'll be seeking plenty of advice from all you folks once I get to turning wrenches. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
25 Mar 2007 14:52 #123362 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic newbie: I might buy this bike, please advise
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I've bought many a bike that had been sitting and smoked when you first started them. I changed the oil and filer then rode them for a awhile and the smoking went away. Could be as simple as stuck or gummed up piston rings.
Even a simple oil change can fix a smoking engine. By the way that bike is a very nice looking example.

Post edited by: baldy110, at: 2007/03/25 17:53

More
25 Mar 2007 15:03 - 26 Aug 2009 11:36 #123365 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic newbie: I might buy this bike, please advise

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2009 11:36 by KZ250LTD.

More
25 Mar 2007 16:39 #123396 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Let's just say "most" bikes under 1 large are gonna need a little work and tlc to get up to snuff or safety. That SR looks really clean, and I wouldn't let a little smoke scare me away unless it was smoking badly or knocking hard or something. It looks to be exactly what you're looking for Herbie so...more power to you and I'm sure you will enjoy touring with it and just scootin' around an a nice Sunday morning. Glad you got it and welcome aboard.

ps: did you tear down the motor with the seller and have a look inside? :huh: :S :pinch: :( :blink: ;) ;) :)

More
25 Mar 2007 17:29 #123409 by WharfRat
Replied by WharfRat on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
:woohoo: Yep-Nice score. But if I was sellin' it to you-I'd pull the top end to show you any sort of time bomb.
Horse tradin'
And it don't look like a nag to me.

Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

More
25 Mar 2007 21:50 #123501 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
neilage66 wrote:

Let's just say "most" bikes under 1 large are gonna need a little work and tlc to get up to snuff or safety. That SR looks really clean, and I wouldn't let a little smoke scare me away unless it was smoking badly or knocking hard or something. It looks to be exactly what you're looking for Herbie so...more power to you and I'm sure you will enjoy touring with it and just scootin' around an a nice Sunday morning. Glad you got it and welcome aboard.

ps: did you tear down the motor with the seller and have a look inside? :huh: :S :pinch: :( :blink: ;) ;) :)

I agree, nice bike I wouldnt let the smoke stop me either. A compression test isnt going to tell you much either and may stop you from buying something just because it needs the vavle shims adjusted. I just learned this first hand. I had good compression 3 cylanders and 32 PSI on one cylander. By the compression test logic I would throw the bike away thinking it needed an engine. I discovered after re-shimming the compression is great now, total cost for tools and shims $17 plus $6 shipping. Thanks again Z-1 :)