newbie: I might buy this bike, please advise

More
23 Mar 2007 16:48 #122915 by Herby
Hello everyone. I'm might join the ranks of KZ owners with this 1978 650 SR that's for sale locally. The price is reasonable (under $1000) and it's cosmetically in incredible condition. However it does spew a little grey/blue smoke while it's running. Is this a definite sign that I'll need to have the top end rebuilt? Could it be something else? Local shops have quoted me over $1000 to rebuild the top end on this bike.

Please advise: is this bike a good investment?

I'm a new rider, and I'm looking for a bike to learn on and travel with camping equipment. I want a fun classic bike but I don't won't to be constantly working on it. How have your experiences been?

Thanks!

Post edited by: Herby, at: 2007/03/23 20:44
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2007 16:52 #122916 by Herby
Mileage is 34,000. It's always been kept indoors. New tires. Fairing and bags are custom add-ons.

More
23 Mar 2007 17:10 #122918 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Ok Herby, I have a SR also but too learn how to ride that I woud take off the bags and the trunk to make it lighter and easier. The grey smoke may just be a rich fuel mixture, but to be sure just pull out your spark plugs and see what they look like. Don't be in a hurry to go to some bike shop when you can do it your self when you wouldn't even need to have it fixed, the grey smoke may clear once its warmed up

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
23 Mar 2007 17:24 #122922 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Herby wrote:

for sale...under $1000 cosmetically incredible condition...does spew a little grey/blue smoke...need to have the top end rebuilt something else? Local shops have quoted me over $1000 to rebuild the top end on this bike... good investment? ...new rider...looking for a bike to learn on and travel with camping equipment...want a fun classic bike... don't won't to be constantly working on it....

Beautiful bike and perfectly fits your needs. If decide against it, please forward seller's address to me. Top end job is worse case scenerio and not a deal killer (but a good negotiating tool). 34,000 miles is nothing;
new tires is great; always kept indoors is pampered.

These are graet motorcycles, and pristine examples just don't come along all that often. Believe opportunity knocks -- I'd say Buy it!

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
23 Mar 2007 17:30 - 26 Aug 2009 11:35 #122923 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2009 11:35 by KZ250LTD.

More
23 Mar 2007 18:00 #122930 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Well, if you have a manual, you can do a top end rebuild yourself and save the labor costs which make up the bulk of the $1000. A top end rebuild is about a two day affair for an experienced hand. A good manual (Clymer or Factory Service Manual) will take you through step by step. The main obstacle most first timers run into is they don't have a feel for basic hand tools and end up chewing up nuts and bolts. If you have handled a wrench in the past, a top end rebuild isn't all that difficult and and doing it would be satisfied.

The likely reasons for the smoke are hardened valve stem oil seals or possibly rings. A top end gasket set, some basic measuring tools and a set of rings might be all that are needed. If you have an experienced KZRider member near you, they could likely lend some support and help. That is a sweet looking 650... I might be tempted to remove the extra bodywork till I learned to ride decently.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
23 Mar 2007 18:02 #122931 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Go for it.....assuming it runs good and YOU feel good and comfy on it.
The smoke problem......well.....when you get it home and the plugs yanked out.....lotsa folks here can and will walk you thru stuff like that. And welcome aboard whether ya buy it or not.;) :P

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
23 Mar 2007 18:37 #122945 by beardog63
Replied by beardog63 on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
give it a go these guys can help you through anything

More
23 Mar 2007 19:50 #122964 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
It's not original paint so impossible to say why it was repainted. To me repaint=wrecked or otherwise abused. Others don't care. I've caught heck here for my attitude, but there's no reason in the world a motorcycle would ever be repainted except for a temporary bandaid, and it shows me it's had owner(s) that.
A. Didn't care and let their bike deteriorate out in the weather.
B. Cared but wrecked one or twice or 20 times.
C. Didn't like the color scheme. (beyond me but happens).
Any of these are not a sign of overly great care and are an instant red flag to move on, but to each his own.
There are some great repaints, I've seen a few and they are few and far between. This one is not one of the greats, but if the price is right and you don't mind, they are a great motorcycle.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
23 Mar 2007 20:25 #122968 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
I plan on painting my tank Ron on the 1000 and possibly the side covers. I think his bike was probably just poorly maintained like mine with scratches and just decided to paint it a different color

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
23 Mar 2007 20:43 #122971 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Didn't these bikes come in like 2 colors? Unless you like green or red, neither of which I thought were all that attractive, you're repainting the bike. I don't see anything suspicious about that on something that old. You can nitpick the minor details all day, bottom line, price is right go for it. If you want a museum show piece that no one ever turned a bolt on or painted you probably arent looking in that price range :)

Ron

More
23 Mar 2007 21:07 #122986 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic newbie: I might by this bike, please advise
Huh??? What?? Somebody say re-paint????

:woohoo: :lol: ;) :P :whistle:

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!