Problems

More
05 Mar 2007 14:26 #117525 by 77_650B1
Problems was created by 77_650B1
Hey guys, still 4 feet of snow on the ground here, but i was up to the garage that time to run the bike for a bit, and she's still got the same problems i put her away with. She still starts easily enough, thanks to my dyna s, but not the best, and it almost seems like on 3 cylinders. I havent tested anythign yet, but preliminary shows much less pressure coming out of the right bank than the left. i know this could mean just running shittily, but i wanted to run a couple things by you guys.

Do you think its my best bet to put the timing light on her in the spring, then sync the carbs. I've got a new dyna s that hasn't been properly timed besides the current test, and carbs havent been synced in like 3 years.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2007 14:51 #117531 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Problems
4 feet of snow in my backyard too, due to drifts!

When you first start her up, feel the exhaust headers to feel which cylinders are firing. If she's only firing on 3, and one header is cold, then you must have a bad connection from the coil to the spark plug, or a bad spark plug or cap.
If only 2 cylinders are firing, say 1&4, then there's a bad connection on the 2&3 coil or elec circuit, or vice versa if it's 2&3 getting warm and 1&4 staying cold.

Check all connections to the coils and to the plugs. You can even swap the 2&3 plug caps to see it the non firing cylinder switches (only if either 2 or 3 is not firing) or swapping 1&4, but usually the wires to 1&4 are not long enough to swap.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
05 Mar 2007 14:58 #117533 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic Problems
Ok, will do. I'll be back later with results.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
05 Mar 2007 15:27 #117538 by 77_650B1
Ok update. I went up, started bike, far left cylinder (#1 or 4?) cold when others hot. smoke also coming from right muffler, looks white. Theres a lot of it, and this is the side with the weak pulse, but not the side with the cold header. I switched #1 and 4 wires on coil, you're right, they wont reach to switch on plug. Header got warm, not very hot, but couldn't hold my hand there for more than say ten seconds. The smoke stayed.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
05 Mar 2007 16:24 #117549 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Problems
When sitting on the bike, the cylinders are counted left to right 1-4. Which ever one was cold is not firing. It will get warm after a while as the engine warms up, warming the cold header etc.
Try switching the spark plugs themselves.
Also check for spark from the plugs while you have them out. Pull each one out, connect them to their cap and lay them on the engine, making sure the metal bottom of the plug contacts the engine. Turn the engine over with the Ign. and kill switch ON, while watching the plugs for spark. In a dimly lit area,the spark will be easier to see.
If you have no spark, you'll have to figure out why. Either your spark plug is bad, or the cap, or the spark plug wire. If the second plug is firing that shares the same coil, then you're coil is OK. If both plugs are not sparking, then either your coil is bad, or the connections from the Dyna to the coil has a bad connection.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
05 Mar 2007 16:43 #117555 by 77_650B1
Yeah i thought so about the numbering, I don't know where the hell my manual is right now, gotta dig it out before i do anything else.

Alrighty, i'm gonna have to do all that, what fun eh? But it sucks, because i know i have carb trouble too, fouled spark plugs all around as of right now. And thats not easily sorted out at all, i've been trying to figure out these carbs for four years, and cant seem to get a handle on them.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
05 Mar 2007 17:00 #117560 by Steve M
Replied by Steve M on topic Problems
Hey, If you can't find any problems with the coils or the Dyna you might want to check the carb intake boots for leaks. Mine stoped firing on one cylinder when I frist go it and I found a big crack in the boot that was sucking air. If you need any help I just moved to Concepation Bay South and havn't found a job yet so I have pleanty of time on my hands. Pluse I have a Carb Synchronizer and other tools if you might need them.

More
05 Mar 2007 17:24 #117565 by 77_650B1
oh yeah? That might be my next problem then. I actually drove her to town from Dunville(where I am now) with only one bolt in one of the boots without realizing it. could i have damaged her a whole lot? I know I could have created a lean condition and burned a hole in a piston, but every now and then when i run at high revs for a while I'll still get full power like I used to, so I doubt it. The old clamps might be an issue too, i dont remember any cracks when i last had the carbs off (August). If you're still willing when the roads aren't so snowy i can drop in and we can take a look at syncing, I'm not so good with carbs, as I said. I don't have much free time unfortunately, as I'm out in Come by Chance on a work term.

Post edited by: 77_650B1, at: 2007/03/05 20:28

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
05 Mar 2007 20:19 #117611 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Problems
If you have the money, the easiest thing to do is send the carbs to wiredgeorge, might take you a couple of weeks from the time you send them (shipping time and all), but at least you'll know they are right.

He has a thread in Chit Chat about his new website, prices are probably listed on his site.

KD9JUR

More
06 Mar 2007 05:30 #117657 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Problems
KZ650 owners can take advantage of special deals offered through the KZ650 site run by Tazzman. wgcarbs.com is an official partner with that site. Read more about it at:

forums.kz650.info/index.php?board=42.0

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
06 Mar 2007 14:50 #117832 by 77_650B1
Holy not bad batman, I'll definitely keep you in mind. Its been floating at the back of my head for a couple months anyways.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels

More
06 Mar 2007 18:40 #117894 by Steve M
Replied by Steve M on topic Problems
Hey again, I'm always willing to help. Just send me a PM if there is anything I can do. I read over some of your other posts and it sounds like you have had carb problems for a wile. Have they ever held a good tune since you got the bike? If so then a good cleaning and set them back up might do the trick. As long as you never made any mods to the air intake or exhaust. I Don't think the Dyna would cause you to run rich as long as you have a good spark so you might want to check out everything on that side first and make sure it's all working right. If it is then check for leaks around your boots. Did you get that bolt back in? Then check into your carbs. Your manual as you most likely already know walks you through the cleaning steps and as long as you take your time it's not that hard. Just be thorough and try not to miss anything. If you still can't get a handle on them or she never held a good tune in the past and you don't feel like playing with them until you get it right then wiredgeorge is your best bet. From what I hear he does really good work. Once again if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Oh ya while i'm here do you have any pics?