Fuel consumption of Z1000?

More
26 Feb 2007 12:38 #115602 by jeffreygp
Fuel consumption of Z1000? was created by jeffreygp
Hello, what would be the normal fuel consumption of a KZ1000 in traffic,30-40mph stop n go? I,m doing around 20 mpg on a 10mile stretch,going to and back from the office. Is this accetable? I,m doing around 35-40 mpg cruising at 60mph. I would appreciate any info you could share.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2007 13:43 #115610 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
sounds close to what i get on the highway with my kz1000. somewhere between 35-40 mpg. (unless i romp on it...:) )
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
26 Feb 2007 18:35 #115677 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
I get about 30 - 40 MPG depending on how hard I ride....I have a kz1000 G1 with EFI.

Full tank of gas lasts me about 90 miles.:)

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
27 Feb 2007 04:54 #115729 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
your getting better milage than I ma on my 1000, only getting about 28-32 max, one thing to keep in mind is the gas we have to use, this 10% crap drops the fuel mpg some, I really notice it in my truck

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
27 Feb 2007 07:23 #115757 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
man did I have a problem a few years ago.I had a 78 ltd 1000 and my worst was 68 miles on a TANK of fuel.
I had the 26 mechanical non pump style stg 3 dyna kit and individual pod filters. proper float levels and all seemed fine. no way!! I thought I could tune these into decent economy- after the Vance and Hines pipe install. I have a shop and have been in the m/c business for quite some time. I did everything I could imagine to get my bike to run over 100 miles on a whole tank(3.5 gal) but I think the older carbs are part of the problem, now they are on my shelf and still appear to be fine carbs... AND it is NOT the GAS

what I did- CV carbs from a newer kz 750 dyna stg 3 kit also individual filters. I get 42-45 mpg with smooth acceleration and great power. no detonation and good color on the plugs so I do not have a overly lean set up
I suggest CV carbs for anyone that is having the same problems ( after tune up and ignition modifications)
from 17-25 MPG to 40 ++ mpg modern carbs

More
27 Feb 2007 07:42 #115763 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
My 900 has the 26mm carbs, and I get close to 40 mpg on the highway, which is mostly where I ride. The LTD model has that little peanut gas tank and it goes on reserve after you burn 3 gallons. But that still gives me about a 120-mile range, if I take it easy at the lights.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
27 Feb 2007 09:15 #115794 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
Mine is abysmal! Like 50-60 miles to the tank!!! I'm slowly working on it by adjusting air screws out a little at a time and I've seen some improvement...closer to the 60 miles to a tank. I'm running a 750-4 with the smaller LTD tank, but I have Keihin CR special 29s on there with pods and 4-1 header. My plugs are looking pretty clean, but I can smell unburned gas from the tailpipe:ohmy: Now none of my ranting really answers your question Jeffreygp, but I thought I'd try to show that with thirty year old bikes that may or may not have been modded, there are a lot of variables to consider. At roughly 20 miles to the gallon, I think mine could definitely use some attention. But considering you have a bigger bike, I don't think your fuel consumption is too far off. The cruising MPG is where you'd want it and there seems to be a big difference between that and stop and go. Just a thought here, but leaning out your idle circuit just a hair might make a significant difference in stop-n-go traffic.

More
27 Feb 2007 10:16 #115812 by jeffreygp
Replied by jeffreygp on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
Thanks guys. I have tried carb adjustments to improve mileage in traffic,but nothing seem to work. leaned out the slow circuit and it pops off thru carbs and gets hot riding slow, and my spark plugs are always sooty, even cruisin at hiway speeds. But I noticed that mileage improves as speed increases. :)

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
27 Feb 2007 10:36 #115817 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
I was wondering why my bike didn't seem to get very good gas mileage, but now it seems mine isn't that far off from what you guys have been getting.
Grant.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
27 Feb 2007 10:46 #115819 by pyxen
Replied by pyxen on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
...I'm glad I ride a 550 B) :evil:

84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

More
28 Feb 2007 15:34 #116174 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
jeffreygp wrote:

Thanks guys. I have tried carb adjustments to improve mileage in traffic,but nothing seem to work. leaned out the slow circuit and it pops off thru carbs and gets hot riding slow, and my spark plugs are always sooty, even cruisin at hiway speeds. But I noticed that mileage improves as speed increases. :)

Overrich midrange can cause poor fuel economy. Recall fuel from bowl travels through main jet up bleed pipe to needle jet where tapered needle moves up and down.
Air from main air jet also enters bleed pipe, so be sure all tiny bleed pipe holes are open and clear. Should see daylight through each hole. Insufficient air here gives overrich mixture, so also check/clean opening in main air jet and air passage from main air jet to bleed pipe, as any blockage could cause excessively rich operation.

Usually are 5 groves in top of jet needle - normal position is #3 in the middle. Higher grove lowers needle and leans mixture. Lower grove raises needle and richens mixture.

Excessive wear of tapered needle or jet can allow excessive fuel mixture into combustion chamber.

Raising the clip a notch will lean the mixture and may help offset any wear (allows thicker section of tapered needle down into the jet).

An overly large main jet size may also contribute to an overly rich running condition at highway speeds. But best not downsized until need confirmed by max acceleration plug chop test.

Full tank on my KZ900LTD hits reserve at slightly over 100 miles. Reserve allows easing along for another 20-30 miles (slightly further jumping on pegs sloshing last remaing drops to rear of tank :P)

Just might discover your needle clips set too low. Hope the poor fuel mileage is resulting from something that simple. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Feb 2007 19:11 #116240 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Fuel consumption of Z1000?
i get about 25-30mpg because of the larger jets and the way i drive my bike.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!