What kind and size of thread?

More
13 Feb 2007 17:45 #112153 by Chris78LTD
What kind and size of thread? was created by Chris78LTD
I am looking to put a oil pressure gage on my 1978 KZ1000. On the right hand side of the motor there is a plug above the points cover. This is the place where most of the oil pressure gages go. Anyone have an idea of the thread side so I can order a chrome adapter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2007 05:23 #112251 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic What kind and size of thread?
This has been discussed before. I had thought this thread was NPT (national pipe thread) but someone mentioned it was metric. I do know that most autoparts stores that sell oil pressure gauges also sell "adapter kits" which contain a variety of adapter sleeves to adapt NPT to metric, etc. I have used oil pressure gauges on most of the bikes I have owned in the past but don't really feel it is a great idea on a KZ since the 903/1015cc KZ engine is low pressure. The gauge should read no more than 15 PSI else its scale will be meaningless... such as a 60 PSI Harley gauge. Since you will be under 5 PSI most of the time, it would hardly show on a Harley gauge. I used a 100 PSI gauge on the last Vulcan I owned as they are high pressure oilers. I think an oil temp gauge would be more useful on a KZ. If you do a search, you could probably find the old thread where the thread pitch is discussed.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/02/14 08:24

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Feb 2007 05:31 #112253 by Oznative
Replied by Oznative on topic What kind and size of thread?
wiredgeorge wrote:

This has been discussed before. I had thought this thread was NPT (national pipe thread) but someone mentioned it was metric. I do know that most autoparts stores that sell oil pressure gauges also sell "adapter kits" which contain a variety of adapter sleeves to adapt NPT to metric, etc. I have used oil pressure gauges on most of the bikes I have owned in the past but don't really feel it is a great idea on a KZ since the 903/1015cc KZ engine is low pressure. The gauge should read no more than 15 PSI else its scale will be meaningless... such as a 60 PSI Harley gauge. Since you will be under 5 PSI most of the time, it would hardly show on a Harley gauge. I used a 100 PSI gauge on the last Vulcan I owned as they are high pressure oilers. I think an oil temp gauge would be more useful on a KZ. If you do a search, you could probably find the old thread where the thread pitch is discussed.<br><br>Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/02/14 08:24

I have a question on this same subject. My bike a KZ1000 when I got it had a gauge already installed there. The plug was drilled and tapped for what looks like a 1/8"NPT. My problem is when I took the engine out of the frame I broke the gauge off at the plug and it also broke the flats on the plug off. Now I have a hole where the gauge and plug used to be. Other than grind the broken parts off and intall a 1/8"NPT plug in the hole can I buy a replacement OEM plug?

1977 KZ1000 A-1 Just north of Boston

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
14 Feb 2007 10:23 #112346 by Grantl
Replied by Grantl on topic What kind and size of thread?
Check a catalog such as McMaster-Carr or Grainger... They have all sorts of plumbing fixtures, plugs, nipples. Something they have should fit your need.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
15 Feb 2007 04:13 #112522 by Oznative
Thanks Grantl, I was interested in finding the flange type plug that was originaly in the block. My last resort would be to just plug it with a standard pipe plug.

More
15 Feb 2007 04:56 #112527 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic What kind and size of thread?
In San Antonio, there is a store that sells hydraulic hoses and fittings and they carry just about every type of fitting you can think of. I can't recall their name but suspect that most large towns have these places. In addition, any autoparts store that sells the adapter kits should have a fitting in the kit that will work and the kits are not expensive. If memory serves most of the adapter fittings are brass.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
15 Feb 2007 05:13 #112530 by Oznative
Thanks Wiredgeorge. By the way I will be dealing with you in the near future with a set of carbs to be gone over.:cheer:

More
15 Feb 2007 07:53 #112570 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic What kind and size of thread?
Chris78LTD wrote:

.... Anyone have an idea of the thread side so I can order a chrome adapter?

Hi Chris and welcome to KZR.
The fix for anything broken is tough without seeing it. That said, when you do get things cleaned up and are to the point where you need plugs or gauges, you can buy or borrow a thread pitch gauge which will fit into a hole for inside threads, and will of course measure outside threads as well.

More
15 Feb 2007 07:53 #112571 by JimatMilkyWay
Replied by JimatMilkyWay on topic What kind and size of thread?

Post edited by: JimatMilkyWay, at: 2007/02/15 10:54

More
07 Apr 2007 21:30 #127580 by tuxedotito
Replied by tuxedotito on topic What kind and size of thread?
Hello all,

VDO Electric Oil Temperature sender; 0-300 Degrees; VW Bug drain plug; M14X1.5; screws right into the oil galley like it was made for it. The inside end of the sender does not block the internal passage.

I bought mine on Ebay for 14.99 a couple of months ago. There are some on Ebay right now! They also are available in Porsche M18X1.5 which I believe will fit the KZ drain plug, but don't quote me on it.
Hope this helps!
Regards

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

More
07 Apr 2007 21:41 #127586 by 79MKII
Replied by 79MKII on topic What kind and size of thread?
Here's a link to a pretty informative thread on the topic:

Link To Older Post

Renobruce seems to have a good handle on what it takes to fit a gauge to the KZ's. (I think he sells the kits on eBay, but I don't think I'm allowed to mention that, so I won't ;) )

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

More
07 Apr 2007 21:48 #127587 by tuxedotito
Replied by tuxedotito on topic What kind and size of thread?
Let me rephrase. The sender unit fits into my J Model engine oil galley absolutely perfectly without even the slightest hint of slop or over-tightness. How it might fit for you or any other I could only guess.

1981 GPz1100, Wiseco 1170 Kit, BS34 carbs; #40 Pilot and #140 Main, UNI Filters, APE main and cylinder studs, DYNA S, DYNA Coils, and lots of hours. Working towards Megasquirt/Turbo one day!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL