750 cam chain.

More
08 Feb 2007 18:36 #111081 by tnutz
Replied by tnutz on topic 750 cam chain.
well, it just had a tune up last spring. and nothing ha s been touched, so they should be good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2007 19:35 #111089 by JR
Replied by JR on topic 750 cam chain.
baldy110 wrote:

Just a thought but are your carbs synched? If your carbs are not synched the primary chain will rattle at idle. Depending on how far off the carbs are the rattle can get very loud.

Excellent point baldy 110

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
12 Feb 2007 06:52 #111803 by whizzer
Replied by whizzer on topic 750 cam chain.
My '80 Z750 does this too, there's been one or two other threads about it. Definitely the primary chain (great big thing that attaches the crank to the transmission). They stretch over time but very rarely break, so people generally just tend to leave them unless the noise is bugging them. It's a long job to replace it! Ill-tuned carbs exacerbate the problem.

More
12 Feb 2007 09:08 #111827 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic 750 cam chain.
engine noise can be caused by a few things:
carbs out of sync
tensioner needs adjusted
spring inside of tensioner has lost a bit of it's strength
primary chain to the clutch basket lash

these bikes also make noise in the clutch basket from excessive mechanical lash.. pull in clutch lever at idle and listen for change of noise you may determine cam chain or primary chain
either way it is a noise that shouldn't scare you. it just is there all the time. lots of guys sell these bikes thinking there is a problem when there is no problem at all. I've gotten some sweet deals with that noise happening--- negoating for a bike that someone thinks is going to blow up is fun then you go sync the carbs and manually adjust the cam chain tensioner and ride the hell out of it laughing all the way

More
12 Feb 2007 17:56 #111952 by tnutz
Replied by tnutz on topic 750 cam chain.
well, i did the stethoscope method, it's down low left side of the bike. (if your sitting on it) and is less worse when it warms up. Sounds exactly like the primary chain threads i have read. no change in noise if you pull in clutch or anything. only goes away more or less when you speed the rpms up a bit. so i will get the carbies synched to see if i can make it go away.

thanks for the help.