Crankshaft rebuild

More
26 Jan 2007 12:51 #108340 by gobert
Crankshaft rebuild was created by gobert
Hello.
I've got KZ1000 Police 1995 year, after 60000 miles.
Ther is a problem with the crankshaft.
3th and 4th rod has detectable radial clearance on the main bearings.
Is this possible to rebuild it in the workshop?
If is, how to do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2007 16:01 #108365 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Crankshaft rebuild
Not unless you have a super deluxe workshop complete with a "Big" hydraulic press :)
Rebuilding KZ roller bearing cranks is a job best left to the experts in the field.
In the US that would be Falicon (in Florida).
You might check with APE also, they may offer the service.
In Europe I think Klasmo.
Anywhere else I haven't a clue.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/01/26 19:10

KD9JUR

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
26 Jan 2007 16:18 #108370 by Duck
Replied by Duck on topic Crankshaft rebuild
Keep your eyes open. You should be able to pick up a low miles 'J' crank with rods for under $100 on ebay or from someone here on KZR. The KZR classifieds may work, but I'd be surprised if anyone would complain over a 'J CRANK WANTED' chit-chat post.
-Duck

More
26 Jan 2007 23:35 #108473 by gobert
Replied by gobert on topic Crankshaft rebuild
The new one costs 1060$+shiping costs to Poland(I'm from Poland) on the Bike Bandit.com.
I check ebay regularly, but for me it's a risk to buy a used one. It'll come to me and then I would see that this is only piece of steel, the same or worse that I actually have.
So, I'm looking for a workshop.
I've got one, and I rebuilded two crankshafts for the boxer engin and the two stroke twin.
Maybe problem is only in my mind, but when I look on the Kawasaki crankshaft I can see only trouble.
That's why I'm asking.
If anyone have experience with this, please tell me.

More
27 Jan 2007 05:43 #108484 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Crankshaft rebuild
The problem is that the KZ900/1000/1100 crank is a roller bearing crank, and it's pressed together (multiple pieces). The KZ twins (and I think the boxers) are plain bearing cranks that use bearing shells and are one piece.

If you have access to a large hydraulic press to separate and assemble a roller bearing crank, and the ability to build a fixture to maintain alignment while it is being pressed together, and you are willing and capable of applying the required extreme attention to detail needed, then you very well may be able to do this yourself. It's certainly not going to be easy though.

I have a friend that did a crank himself, but he was a machinist and had free access to a very well equipped toolroom at a large General Motors manufacturing plant.

You have to separate the crankshaft to replace the roller rod bearings, unlike a plain bearing crank where you simply unbolt the rod cap.

It would be really nice if APE Jay would post pics of the equipment and process used to rebuild a roller bearing crankshaft.

Klasmo is in Germany I think, and that should be doable for you (for crankshaft rebuilding).

Post edited by: steell, at: 2007/01/27 08:49

KD9JUR

More
31 Jan 2007 00:01 #109316 by gobert
Replied by gobert on topic Crankshaft rebuild
Do You know where I can buy connecting rod kit?
I found something like this:
www.sudco.com/engine.html#crank

I send question if they have something to Kz1000.