Jumping Time?

More
15 Jan 2007 06:28 #105757 by cnyl
Jumping Time? was created by cnyl
Hey guys,
I seem to be having a timing issue on my 1980 Kz550A1...Here's what's happening...I'll align all of my timing marks...count the pins on the timing chain put everything back together and start the bike...the bike will start and run...come back a couple days later and try to start the bike and do some carb work and it's hard to start...it seems like if I crank it over for too long it jumps time and I get the popping in the exhaust...and the "moaning" sound..I pull the cover off and sure enough it's off one tooth!! The cam sprockets look OK but the bike has 87000 miles on it. Do you think I need to replace JUST the cam chain??? I really don't want to have to split the case. Oh I also rebulit the cam chain tensioner so I wouldn't think that would be the issue...I've followed all procedures in the service manual and I'm stumped...any ideas????

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2007 07:51 #105772 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Jumping Time?
I don't know the 550's,but don't You have a front tensioner/idler on the engine,down at the base of the cylinders?
I know on the liter bikes,that tensioner can and will fail over time.A lot of Guys here have found them in pieces when They get inside the engine.
Have You had the belly-pan off?Any pieces of anything lying in there?:whistle:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
15 Jan 2007 14:05 #105865 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic Jumping Time?
Thanks Sandy, I didn't find anything in the oilpan. I'll check for that tensioner you speak of when I get home.

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
15 Jan 2007 18:39 #105953 by cnyl
I checked for the tensioner at the base of the cylinders in front. I didn't see one.
Can I assume by replacing the cam chain, it will solve my prblem?

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
15 Jan 2007 18:56 #105958 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Jumping Time?
First of all is there any slackness in the chain when you check it? If you can pull the chain off the sprocket the tensioner might not be working. Is the tensioner assembled properly. What to check is when you put on the tensioner and adjust it to tighten the chain, pull off the tensioner and check how much more extension of the arm you have, and if it is at the end of its extension you need a new chain, but be sure to lock the arm first before removing the tensioner. On my 650, if the washer under the screw isn't removed and the screw screwed back in , the tensioner doesnt lock on the extender

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
16 Jan 2007 07:46 #106053 by GPzephyr
Replied by GPzephyr on topic Jumping Time?
cnyl wrote:

I checked for the tensioner at the base of the cylinders in front. I didn't see one.
Can I assume by replacing the cam chain, it will solve my prblem?

Under the carbs ;)

1991, Zephyr 750. GPz750 turbo engine, 810cc, Garrett T25 turbo, GPz1100 throttle bodies, 310cc injectors, Power commander, Dyna coils, Lots more as well...

KB Saturn fitted with a stock GPz750 turbo engine. Loads to do on this project.

More
16 Jan 2007 09:29 #106061 by kawadruida
Replied by kawadruida on topic Jumping Time?
The 550 has only one automatic cam chain tensioner, at the base of the cylinder in the rear, under the carbs. Be careful to align correctly both pushrods (see pic attached) when assembling it back to ensure correct functioning. Springs and chain guide must be in top condition, if not sure, replace them with new items.

Good luck!

Post edited by: kawadruida, at: 2007/01/16 12:30
Attachments:

More
16 Jan 2007 13:49 #106123 by cnyl
kawadruida wrote:

The 550 has only one automatic cam chain tensioner, at the base of the cylinder in the rear, under the carbs. Be careful to align correctly both pushrods (see pic attached) when assembling it back to ensure correct functioning. Springs and chain guide must be in top condition, if not sure, replace them with new items.

Good luck!

<br><br>Post edited by: kawadruida, at: 2007/01/16 12:30

kawadruida,
The number 9 pin on the diagram only goes in one way because of the pin correct?
And number 10 gets put in with the flat side facing up? I'm pretty sure that's the way I have it. I read somewhere in the service manual where it says that you have to put the cam cover on before you put the tensioner in. I may have that backwards...:whistle:
What difference does that make?

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
17 Jan 2007 11:30 #106335 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Jumping Time?
Alot of difference. The cam cover has a tensioner in it as well, so when you put the tensioner on before the cover you most likely would have the chain too tight. But when you put the cover on first that puts the chain in position then you can work on the tensioner. Ok will someone help me here, I don't know if I am clear enough.

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Jan 2007 16:45 #106459 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Jumping Time?
cnyl wrote:

Hey guys,
I seem to be having a timing issue on my 1980 Kz550A1...The cam sprockets look OK but the bike has 87000 miles on it. quote]

Is that a correct number 87000 Miles?

If it is, I think the bike has earned it's right to a rebuild....top - bottom...that's a lot of high revving air cooled miles...

JMO

More
18 Jan 2007 06:11 #106575 by cnyl

Is that a correct number 87000 Miles?

If it is, I think the bike has earned it's right to a rebuild....top - bottom...that's a lot of high revving air cooled miles...

JMO

The cylinders have been bored 1 size over.I did a hone job and put new rings in.:P

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
18 Jan 2007 06:22 #106576 by cnyl
kzwolfsr wrote:

Alot of difference. The cam cover has a tensioner in it as well, so when you put the tensioner on before the cover you most likely would have the chain too tight. But when you put the cover on first that puts the chain in position then you can work on the tensioner. Ok will someone help me here, I don't know if I am clear enough.

Thanks kzwolfsr, That makes sense to me.. I'm going to re time and put the cover on first then the tensioner. I actually put the tensioner on first... Maybe it will solve my problem. Thanks again.

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill