How to make exhaust shoot flames??

More
09 Jan 2007 11:36 #104471 by Nelson
How to make exhaust shoot flames?? was created by Nelson
I'd love to flip a switch that causes a big, red flame to blast out my exhaust pipe! I can think of various ways to make this happen, but not sure of the best.

any ideas?

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2007 11:48 #104475 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic How to make exhaust shoot flames??
You was a former mechanic and can't figure it out.I have a idea but its shabby right now. Instead of your bike having 4 sparkplugs,it would have 6 right?. 4 for the engine and 2 in the exhaust and have some gas blowby in the exhaust and have the sparkplug spark the gas blowby. O r you can go on google to check

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
09 Jan 2007 12:12 #104479 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic How to make exhaust shoot flames??
kzwolfsr wrote:

4 for the engine and 2 in the exhaust and have some gas blowby in the exhaust and have the sparkplug spark the gas blowby.

bingo

More
09 Jan 2007 12:42 #104484 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic How to make exhaust shoot flames??
yes, I've thought of this method of course. Just wondering if anyone has tried it or something similar.

I've heard of propane injection, different ways to ignite other than a spark plug, etc.

how to get the extra gas in the pipe? I don't wanna affect how the engine runs, so the gas (or other fuel) needs to go in to the pipe somehow. Should have handlebar on/off control. Maybe an injector from an EFI system is the ticket...

I'll probably never do it, but sounds fun anyway.

Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
09 Jan 2007 12:42 #104485 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic How to make exhaust shoot flames??
in the automotive designs I have seen, the system used a flammable compressed gas such as propane which is piped into the exhaust and is turned on or off by pressing a button (great use for your horn button if you want it hidden) a spark plug is put further down the pipe (close to the end) and is connected to one of your coils by splicing off of a plug wire. its always sparking, and when you hit the button, presto, fire out the pipe:evil:
I think you can use different gasses or special additives for different colours of flame
a gas (pump gas)version would probably work to. hook up a fuel pump and an injector that sprays when you hit the button. that way you wouldnt need an extra tank and you dont need to get it filled at a special place, just fill up as usual(only more often if you are fire happy:evil: )
damn, now I want to do this....its kinda funny in a way, carbed bike with EFI exhaust system. Getting the right injector would be key, Im not sure if normal ones (besides desiel) can hold up to the heat......
Scott

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2007/01/09 15:52

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
09 Jan 2007 12:56 #104488 by 900cows
Replied by 900cows on topic How to make exhaust shoot flames??
Hi Nelson,not to change the subject,but do you have a picture or pictures of that BIKE below your name on this site anywhere? Love the tail section! Dragbars to. Color is awsome also.THANKS

More
09 Jan 2007 13:09 #104492 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic How to make exhaust shoot flames??
Google this subject and you will find kits made for bikes that shoot out flames quite far. I had a few pictures of them once, pretty impressive, it's a good way to get tailgaters off your ass.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
09 Jan 2007 13:16 #104496 by Nelson
good answer Scott, thanks. now i find that you can actually buy a kit for this. here's one:
www.axdo.net/dual_exhaust_flamethrower.asp

I wonder what the control box does. seems like all you need is the coil and a switch.

the photo of my bike is a Photoshop mockup of the project bike I am building. So the real bike is not quite like that yet, but I'm working on it.

More
09 Jan 2007 14:51 #104522 by 77KZ650
so the site with the kit is saying that theres enough gas in the exhaust to burn with no added fuel. if thats the case the only thing you really need to do is splice a coil wire and run one back to a spark plug you put in the pipe(with an inline switch routed to the bars of course...my choice would be the horn button). no need for a "kit". as long as you have a strong spark, it wont hurt normal engine performance, if you have a weak spark allready, it may misfire a bit. I bet 99% of everybody here could make this work with parts they have in their garage allready, if of course the site is correct on the unburnt gas.
Scott

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2007/01/09 17:53

01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
09 Jan 2007 15:00 #104528 by Nelson
hmmm... yes I'm thinking along the same lines now. I think I even have an extra coil and wires somewhere. A stinky old bike with an unmuffled 4-1 drag pipe like mine should be ideal... noisy and flaming! nasty.

More
09 Jan 2007 15:17 #104531 by 77KZ650
you could argue that the mod is environmentally friendly as its making the bike burn more of the gas its using. (complete combustion has 2 waste products, CO2 and O2, and incomplete combustion has lots of poisonus waste gasses). just whip that comment out the next time some tree hugger type person is giving you a hard time over your fire breathin machine:evil:

More
09 Jan 2007 16:39 #104549 by Nelson
of course! cleaning up my bikes emissions was the first thing on my mind! sarcasm :woohoo: