440 Turbo ?

More
06 Jan 2007 11:50 #103737 by martijn
Replied by martijn on topic 440 Turbo ?
JAILBAIT wrote:

. Or you can go the hard way and modify the oil pump to run at a higher pressure like myself and wireman did.

How do I modify the oilpump in case of a kz900/1000??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2007 15:39 #103789 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic 440 Turbo ?
sanding or milling a little off the mating surface of pump halves to tighten up clearances between gears and housing is easiest way to do it;)

More
07 Jan 2007 11:12 #103965 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic 440 Turbo ?
the problems with turbocharging a small engine seem to be lubrication (discuused above) and cooling (the small garrett GT12 needs water, as well as oil).

as well, the intake cycles of a four cylinder are continuous enough to handle the continuous pressure from the t/c, but the intake cycles of a two cylinder are too lumpy, and require a surge tank to smooth out the pulsing....from an old 1984 article on turbochargin a motorcycle:

img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo06qo7.jpg

img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo07vt2.jpg

img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo08ht4.jpg

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
07 Jan 2007 12:03 #103981 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic 440 Turbo ?
A surge tank shouldn't be that hard to fabricate. I'm thinking of something like a piece of aluminum or copper pipe, say 3 or 4 inches in diameter, maybe a foot long, with a couple pipes welded onto the side to mount to the head and a cap on one end and the pressurized inlet on the other end.

As for the lubrication problem, I wonder who makes a tiny turbo unit with roller bearings instead of oil film bearings...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

More
07 Jan 2007 13:27 #103996 by djnubz
Replied by djnubz on topic 440 Turbo ?
I have been thinking about how to go about this myself for a while but I won't be able to get to it for some time due to me being at school. The way I would go about this would be to first modify the bike to work off of a Mega Squirt 2 setup. With this you will have complete control over the fuel and spark, which you need in a turbo application. From there I would use a very small turbo, they make some for go cart motor if you can find them.

More
07 Jan 2007 18:38 #104046 by 50 bucks
Replied by 50 bucks on topic 440 Turbo ?
Man, The things I'm findin' with the search on this idea are really gittin' wierd ! Came across a guy on a site askin' about superchargin' a Briggs lawn mower engine. Another guy suggested usin' a smog pump from a 350 Chevy.Connect it to the engine with a chain or belt. I must be gettin' punchy, but at first thought, it sounds like that would work

More
07 Jan 2007 19:24 #104070 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 440 Turbo ?
50 bucks wrote:

Man, The things I'm findin' with the search on this idea are really gittin' wierd ! Came across a guy on a site askin' about superchargin' a Briggs lawn mower engine. Another guy suggested usin' a smog pump from a 350 Chevy.Connect it to the engine with a chain or belt. I must be gettin' punchy, but at first thought, it sounds like that would work

Oh yeah, supercharging a Briggs with a smog pump works, the motor don't last very long though :D :D

There is also at least one guy that has fuel injected a Briggs using a MegaSquirt :)

KD9JUR

More
07 Jan 2007 19:42 #104080 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic 440 Turbo ?
JAILBAIT wrote:

Also water/oil cooled turbos don't have to have the water lines connected. This is just to runthe turbo cooler.

Anyone else like to comment of this point? would running oil through the water lines it help or hinder it? and with a water cooled bike, do you just connect to the rad?
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
08 Jan 2007 00:58 #104116 by GPzephyr
Replied by GPzephyr on topic 440 Turbo ?
77KZ650 wrote:

JAILBAIT wrote:

Also water/oil cooled turbos don't have to have the water lines connected. This is just to runthe turbo cooler.

Anyone else like to comment of this point? would running oil through the water lines it help or hinder it? and with a water cooled bike, do you just connect to the rad?
Scott

I wouldn't go down the oil route but if you really wanted to use the cooler on the turbo then rig up an independent water supply.
Get a small radiator off a scooter or something small, maybe another oil cooler would do and run it using an electric pump connected via a thermostat. Job done!

1991, Zephyr 750. GPz750 turbo engine, 810cc, Garrett T25 turbo, GPz1100 throttle bodies, 310cc injectors, Power commander, Dyna coils, Lots more as well...

KB Saturn fitted with a stock GPz750 turbo engine. Loads to do on this project.

More
08 Jan 2007 06:34 #104133 by JAILBAIT
Replied by JAILBAIT on topic 440 Turbo ?
i will try to answer some of the questions if I can.

don't worry about the water side of the turbo, and if all possible find a turbo that doesn't have both water and oil cooling. with the size turbo you are most likely going to use you don't need both anyways.

I have been thinking about how to go about this myself for a while but I won't be able to get to it for some time due to me being at school. The way I would go about this would be to first modify the bike to work off of a Mega Squirt 2 setup. With this you will have complete control over the fuel and spark, which you need in a turbo application. From there I would use a very small turbo, they make some for go cart motor if you can find them.

there is no reason on a bike like this you would need to go to the hasle of putting a stand alone EFI system. You can easily modify a carb to blow through that will work with a lot less headache.

As for keeping things safe and cool methanol injection is the easiest. There are companys out there that make full kits or there are ways to get around putting all that electrical stuff on your bike and jjust making it machanical.

Just remember that easy part is buying all the parts. its the fabing of the exhaust manifold, intake manifold, etc, etc.

More
08 Jan 2007 06:39 #104135 by JAILBAIT
Replied by JAILBAIT on topic 440 Turbo ?

the problems with turbocharging a small engine seem to be lubrication (discuused above) and cooling (the small garrett GT12 needs water, as well as oil).

as well, the intake cycles of a four cylinder are continuous enough to handle the continuous pressure from the t/c, but the intake cycles of a two cylinder are too lumpy, and require a surge tank to smooth out the pulsing....from an old 1984 article on turbochargin a motorcycle:

img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo06qo7.jpg

img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo07vt2.jpg

img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kzturbo08ht4.jpg

using a simple surge valve from like a procharger supercharger kit will work just fine. this valve is not the same as a bov, it is constintly open under normal riding, then as soon as boost comes on the valve shuts and whoa power time.

Post edited by: JAILBAIT, at: 2007/01/08 09:40

More
08 Jan 2007 14:07 #104250 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic 440 Turbo ?
You don't need to connect the water lines to anything. They are only there for when the turbo is used on a car - i.e. under a hood where it gets very hot. Out in the breeze on a bike you don't need any water cooling connected.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com