440 Turbo ?

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
03 Jan 2007 13:26 #103207 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic 440 Turbo ?
Ron, you just have to be smarter than what you're working with, and by that I mean you need to know something about what you're adding to the system, how it works, why it works and what to expect. If your turbo didn't add boost until 9000 RPM, I suspect it wasn't set up right or it was way too big and not the correct unit for the application.

My Seca Turbo had a little bit of lag which amounted to not having much low end power. Once you hit 6000 RPM, though... LOOK OUT! You'd better have it pointed the way you want to go, because you'll arrive there in a hurry! Before the turbo spooled up the bike was overweight and underpowered. Once it started making boost it was a totally different story. The bike's downfall (sometimes literally) was its handling. The combination of a flexible frame, skinny tires, shaft drive, and the turbo suddenly doubling the power made for some hair raising experiences when I first got it. I learned how to manipulate the power band pretty quickly. I had to either learn how to control it or die!

If you really think changing things on our bikes is just dumb, you should get to know this fellow named Lorcan...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2007 13:45 #103216 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 440 Turbo ?
Lorcan wrote:

RonKZ650 wrote:

I always laugh at these sunday morning car and truck shows where they add this crap and it works. Wonder how?

Perhaps they know what they are doing, and you don't.

The reason I laugh is I know none of that crap works without major fabrication to make it right. All those shows are just being paid to advertise companys add on parts. I'll bet it takes 30 hrs work to do what they make it look like takes 10 minutes on every product they try to pawn off on the public. 29 plus hours sanding, grinding, finding the right way to make the piece of junk look like it's a bolt on. Everythings a simple bolt on if you happen to have a machine shop with a cnc cutter, lathe ect to make the junk right. I don't, so I won't use the crap.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
04 Jan 2007 14:49 #103387 by JAILBAIT
Replied by JAILBAIT on topic 440 Turbo ?
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-SR20det-S...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the turbo you want. And 2 cv carbs to blow through

More
04 Jan 2007 15:25 #103394 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic 440 Turbo ?

More
04 Jan 2007 15:51 #103399 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic 440 Turbo ?
JAILBAIT wrote:

No that's a cheap chinese copy. I'm not sure what it's a copy of exactly as it claims to be both a Garrett (T25/T28) and a Mitsubishi (TD04) but it's a copy and you can bet it won't last 5 minutes. A genuine Garrett GT12 from an authorised dealer like Turbometrics would be ideal for your needs.

Post edited by: Lorcan, at: 2007/01/04 18:52

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

More
05 Jan 2007 05:08 #103478 by 50 bucks
Replied by 50 bucks on topic 440 Turbo ?
Wow Guys!:woohoo:
Thanks for the replies, opinions, and info!
I have it penciled in my head to use fuel injection and an oxygen sensor to control the fuel management. Carbs were last century. I will probably use the items I removed from my Toyota Motorhome Turbo upgrade to plug into this thing. I have the old injectors, oxygen sensor, and the fuel ratio meter. Want to, at this stage, to build a Megasquirt unit to keep things more or less organized. Will probably use low boost to keep the OL' 50 Bucker together. 4 psi. max, probably. It's more fun for me to think of something like this and make it work, than to push it to the max , so to speak.After all, I never did get the chance the drop two straight eight Buicks in the box of a pickup.:cheer:

More
05 Jan 2007 07:13 #103498 by JAILBAIT
Sorry I was just refering to the size. Yeah I agree don't by the chinese one.

More
05 Jan 2007 09:23 #103514 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic 440 Turbo ?
Just as a question, the turbobygarrett.com site describes this as a water&oil cooled turbo. How would that be plumbd onto the air cooled kz440?

Sam

Lorcan wrote:

JAILBAIT wrote:

No that's a cheap chinese copy. I'm not sure what it's a copy of exactly as it claims to be both a Garrett (T25/T28) and a Mitsubishi (TD04) but it's a copy and you can bet it won't last 5 minutes. A genuine Garrett GT12 from an authorised dealer like Turbometrics would be ideal for your needs.<br><br>Post edited by: Lorcan, at: 2007/01/04 18:52

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
05 Jan 2007 10:31 #103531 by JAILBAIT
Samwell wrote:

Just as a question, the turbobygarrett.com site describes this as a water&oil cooled turbo. How would that be plumbd onto the air cooled kz440?

Sam

Lorcan wrote:

JAILBAIT wrote:

No that's a cheap chinese copy. I'm not sure what it's a copy of exactly as it claims to be both a Garrett (T25/T28) and a Mitsubishi (TD04) but it's a copy and you can bet it won't last 5 minutes. A genuine Garrett GT12 from an authorised dealer like Turbometrics would be ideal for your needs.<br><br>Post edited by: Lorcan, at: 2007/01/04 18:52

I was just giving a link to a good size turbo for that size motor. As for the exact one, you will need to find one that is oil cooled. I would also recommend you look for one that has a bilt in wastegate. That is unless you are planning on runnin lots and lots of boost.

Do you want to run draw through or blow through?

More
05 Jan 2007 10:35 #103533 by JAILBAIT
Also water/oil cooled turbos don't have to have the water lines connected. This is just to runthe turbo cooler. The big problem with putting a turbo on a kz is the low oil pressure. You can get the instructions for the mr turbo setup and tap in off the oil sending unit. Or you can go the hard way and modify the oil pump to run at a higher pressure like myself and wireman did.

More
05 Jan 2007 17:51 #103635 by duncan
Replied by duncan on topic 440 Turbo ?
amazon.com has a book on turbocharging motorcycles, by joe haile:

www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Turbocharging-...-Oxide/dp/1884313078

the very first book review reads as follows:

"I followed Joe Haile's advice but the vendors he recommended to me took my money and after many years of holding (and misusing) my motorcycle and money they did not deliver the goods and services they promised. I had to sue the listed vendors Luftmeister, RB Racing, Matt Capri, & Bob Behn for fraud and it cost me thousands of dollars and my motorcycle does not run right after many years of their supposed help. I bought this book and called Joe Haile many times and his advice cost me thousands of dollars of pain."

since i'm interested in motorcycles and turbocharging , i've spend several hours on the net researching t/c a mid-size air cooled m/c, and have only found challenges, rather success stories.

turbocharing a litre bike might be a different story.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
05 Jan 2007 21:44 #103675 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic 440 Turbo ?
"thousands of dollars of pain"?

So pain is literally measured in dollars now?
Sounds like litigious douche bag to me.
This is one reason why I do all my own work. If I break it I have no one to blame but myself, and I'm too poor to file a lawsuit against me, and I know that I won't get any money out of me anyway.

As for engine size, it's just a matter of scale. The physics are pretty much constant with some variation for things like economies of scale. You could turbo charge your lawnmower or even your weed eater if you could find a turbo unit small enough.

Nitrous would be easier, though...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"