'81 GPz 550 oil leak at head gasket

More
02 Jan 2007 16:16 #103007 by cpgpz
My '81 GPz 550 has developed an oil leak that seems to be coming from the head gasket. It hasn't lost any performance and compression is still good. Do I need to replace the head gasket? To my knowledge the gasket is the original.

While I'm working on the engine, I figure that I might as well get the valves done. Also what about the Wiseco (sp?) 615 kit? Has anybody installed this on their 550? Would I have to re-jet my carbs?

Any advice and/or comments will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2007 16:22 #103010 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic '81 GPz 550 oil leak at head gasket
You do not mention how much it is leaking.... it's a major job and oosts significant dollars to do a big-bore kit.

My 82 KZ1000 LTD just developed an oil leak on the right side of the cylinder head. It leaked enough to show oil, and sprayed back just a little on my chaps. I retorqued the cylinder head and it stopped.

If you try this, the engine must be cold. My engine torque spec is 31 poinds. I had one or two that moved a little bit. You do not want to loosen anything - just try and tighten them to specs. I used a clicker-type torque wrench.

Good luck

FloridaMBA

More
02 Jan 2007 18:37 #103056 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic '81 GPz 550 oil leak at head gasket
I second Floridamba's cure for that. the same thing happened to me and I torgued the head and it was cured for sure. don't worry about a tear down!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
18 Jan 2009 10:39 #258590 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic '81 GPz 550 oil leak at head gasket
If it's leaking from the sides, it's the o-rings. If it's leaking from the base, then it's more involved, and rings, and cylinder honing should be in the plans too. Yes 615cc kits have been installed, just depends on what your wallet can handle. Pod filters rejetting, and a good 4-1 exhaust would be the recommended first step.

Oil leak might slow down with head retorque, but on a 28 year old engine, and 17 ft lbs recommended torque, once it starts...

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
18 Jan 2009 11:04 #258594 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic '81 GPz 550 oil leak at head gasket
Escaping oil usually migrates, so the exact source is difficult to identify. And sometimes the head gasket is incorrectly blamed. But certainly won't hurt to re-torque when cold, as already suggested.

Would then look for:
Valve cover leaks (gasket and half-moons);
Loose exhaust clamp (or poor gasket seal);
Tach fitting leak (o-ring between case and head, inner seal around shaft, seal at knurled fitting connection where tach cable attaches).

Easiest if engine is first cleaned and blow-dried. Then crank it up and sit there real close with a flashlight -- you know, like CSI. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD