Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 23 Aug 2016 06:49 #739602

• Rockranch
  • Rockranch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 23
Latest ride vids of Sunrise Highway (S-1) from I-8 to Julian in 3 segments. Cam is GoPro Hero 3 with the handlebar mount. I changed mounts and added a rubber strip as a buffer to test video quality with little to no improvement. Vid quality still has noticeable vibration (distant fuzziness). Helmet cam is better in that regard but more bouncy. There is a periodical waviness and I don't know what causes it.I know better cams exist for this type of filming. However it is what I have to work with ( and it was a bday prezzie a cpl years ago). The fisheye lens of the GoPros seem to restrict wide angle and distance detail qualities. If anyone else has riding vidis using GoPro cams with better quality, it wld be cool to share vids and tips-n-tricks on quality improvement.

However the main purpose in sharing these vids is they give a glimpse of the scenery of this ride, and anyone who ventures nearby should not miss the opportunity to ride this route. The distant horizon views are quite amazing and scenic turnouts are numerous with elevation ranging from 3,000-6000ft and distant views of perhaps 100 miles or more. It's also a very popular hiking/biking destination, especially for motorcycle owners in the nearby deserts looking to cool off. I call Julian a 'little Sturgis' and on any given day 100's of bikes come and go for all directions for a rest/lunch stop, and you're seldom without fellow riders to chat and share stories with.

one of the many overlooks along this route.

Attachment IMG_2403.JPG not found

Julian, CA...'little Sturgis'

Attachment IMG_2396.JPG not found

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shabba

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rockranch.

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 23 Aug 2016 07:28 #739606

• Shabba
  • User
  • Thank you received: 47
Beautiful. Thank you for that.
-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 23 Aug 2016 07:31 #739607

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Cool. B) I miss the trees. Clips of the village? I'll have to take a ride up that way soon. ;)
Steve

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 23 Aug 2016 08:39 #739623

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Nice ..... for years I've always tryed to plan at least one trip to Wisconsin for the forests, lakes and rock formations..... Starved rock in Ill is nice too....... smooth sounding bike and sharp looking vids too.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 25 Aug 2016 04:12 #739859

• Rockranch
  • User

KZB2 650 wrote: Nice ..... for years I've always tryed to plan at least one trip to Wisconsin for the forests, lakes and rock formations..... Starved rock in Ill is nice too....... smooth sounding bike and sharp looking vids too.

Yeah always cool to see riders post scenic ride vids from various places. I can't wait for my next trip back to Montana and make vids of the ride up the switchbacks and plateau of Beartooth Highway from Red Lodge Mt to Cooke City toward Yellowstone. ..................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!
(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Last edit: by Rockranch.

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 25 Aug 2016 04:37 #739860

• Rockranch
  • User

swest wrote: Cool. B) I miss the trees. Clips of the village? I'll have to take a ride up that way soon. ;)
Steve

If you mean Julian, I do have a short clip of Main Street. A small touristy town mostly famous for it's apple pies.

No clue what the rattle is. I had a rattle sound like that before that was noticeable in the vid audio and I traced it to my tire gauge rattling loosely inside my tail piece tray. The sound from handlebar mounted cams can sound kinda funky and completely different than sitting on the bike or listening from nearby. Dangling keychains can be heard too. I compare it to holding a screwdriver to your ear like a stethoscope listening to internal engine sounds. Another ride on my bucket list is Pacific Coast Highway. I have another vid from the sidewalk of a previous visit and the horse buggy that gives tours of town. Maybe I can find it. .....................................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!
(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 25 Aug 2016 07:02 #739875

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2599
Cool. B) I parked next to a couple's HD dresser and they were mad as if I broke some kind of law or something. :dry:
It's starting to cool off a bit so maybe I can get out to some of these places. :woohoo:
Steve

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 12 Sep 2016 03:40 #741931

• Rockranch
  • User
A new vid of a short ride down the mountain and back. My original quality improved with new handlebar mount bracket buffering for my GoPro, however quite disappointed with how the youtube upload turned out. Much more blurred than the basic transfer to my vid files on my PC. And watching on my flatscreen HD TV via the HDMI port is much much better and quite an awesome view. No idea why the youtube upload turned out so blurred. Perhaps it has to do with internet speed...MP4 format of the GoPro...who knows. But quite a fun ride nonetheless.

Vroom-vroom!!!........................................Mike
(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Last edit: by Rockranch. Reason: unf

Ride vids of Sunrise Highway in SoCal... 30 Sep 2016 22:17 #744092

• Hawkeyenfo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey man, I live in La Mesa, it would be cool catching up with some KZ bubbas in The SD area. Just rode sunrise a few weeks ago.
Fly Navy !!!!!

1997 ATK 605
1990 DR250S - Sold
1983 YZ 250 - Sold
1982 CR 480R
1980 PE 175 - Sold
1978.5 RM 250C2
1977 KZ1000-B1
1977 FXE
2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

• Page: