Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

a moment of silence part four. 26 Jun 2009 16:14 #302311

• kawsakiman
  • kawsakiman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
i wrote a longer one last year about my father.
i guess i'm just keeping with Tradition.
for all the new members we Acquired in the last year here is the paraphrased version.

my father wrecked his virago on june 26th, 1986. he was 47 years old. i was 16.
it took me years to overcome my fear of bikes and buy one.

as i'm sure i will ad to this later as the beers get flowing a little more, i'll ask everyone again.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND WEAR A HELMET!

as i speak from experiance, i know first hand that a helmet is the difference between a open or shut casket.

i know some of you have the choice but please think of the one's you leave behind.
and slow down for christ's sake!
life will still be there for you if your running late, trust me.
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

a moment of silence part four. 08 Jul 2009 22:52 #305567

• danielmoore
  • User
  • single owner 1980 KZ650LTD.
  • Thank you received: 0
Words of wisdom. I laid down my 80 650LTD June 27 09. 60mph, 20 miles from the nearest hospital. My best friend (who's a nurse) was with me on his 80 1000LTD. Helmet saved my life.

a moment of silence part four. 09 Jul 2009 07:00 #305623

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
Two weeks ago tomorrow, a good friend was side-swiped on his Triumph Scrambler on his way home from work by a 19 year old who was turning left into a car dealer (car type unknown).

Mark was thrown about 30ft - his bike was totalled. He was unconcious and the cop rode with him in the ambulance because they didn't think he would make it. He had a broken left tibia, fibula, and thigh, collar bone, sternum and right wrist. He has had three surgeries since then to repair his bones and wrist - he is expected to make a full recovery and TODAY is being moved to rehab! He is in good spirits, looking forward to riding again, and is determined to go to Mid-Ohio "even if I go in a wheelchair".

He will honestly tell you that if he hadn't been wearing protective gear - including a mesh jacket and helmet, he would be dead. He had very little "road rash"!

If you see him at Mid-Ohio, stop by and say "hello".

Please, please, please, ALWAYS wear the proper gear, and a helmet - it will save your life!
Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

Last edit: by Limey.

a moment of silence part four. 09 Jul 2009 09:08 #305639

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
It was the end of September 03 when I and my bike were totaled. Young girl turned left in front of me. I landed on my head 30 feet past the car and came to in the hospital. I had a crushed vertebra [T5],4 broken ribs 2 on each side that ended up behind my sternum, a shattered left wrist [18 pins], a broken right thumb [4 pins], a broken knee cap and a toe. I'm doing fine and ride all the time, weather permitting. I'm glad i had a full face helmet and jacket on.

Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

a moment of silence part four. 09 Jul 2009 10:00 #305646

• KawiConvert
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Second the full gear and helmet. Also, if you are wearing a helmet, use the full face. It seems like a waste to use one and only cover 1/2-3/4 of your head. Lots of serious damage that can happen to the areas left exposed. I've not had this with a streetbike, but in wrecks on my dirtbike I've had the chin bar hit my handlebars hard enough to turn my goggles part way around. Without the chin bar I'd likely have broke my jaw a few times.
1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

a moment of silence part four. 14 Jul 2009 13:14 #307003

• Limey
  • User
Visited Mark in hospital on Sunday morning! He is making a remarkable recovery, is in amazing spirits, and is expected to go home on Thursday! He is able to take care of everything himself - except put his left sock on! The ONLY road-rash he sustained was an area about 3" diameter on his right knee.

I took him his tickets for Mid-Ohio, and he is now more determined than ever to be there - if only to tell everyone he meets to wear their gear! His biggest problem now - which Triumph to get to replace his scrambler! (I'm pushing for a Thruxton!)
Eric
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

a moment of silence part four. 14 Jul 2009 13:37 #307008

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Thanks Kawasaki Man for sharing. Wishing you still had your Father. Mine was almost taken from me back in 69. And, thanks to everyone else for sharing your stories. Yes, wear your gear everytime

Limey, way to go keeping your buddy's spirits up. Hope he enjoyes Mid Ohio to its fullest.
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Last edit: by Forrest.

a moment of silence part four. 14 Jul 2009 15:53 #307034

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
I've heard that 75% of riders that are thrown from thier bikes inpact on the chin-lower face.

Tell Mark he can rest and recline in my area. There will be plenty of chairs and shade. You are welcome too.

Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

a moment of silence part four. 16 Jul 2009 05:56 #307344

• Limey
  • User
Roy - thanks for the offer. I passed it on to Mark and we may well take you up on it. Perhaps you lot can convince him to buy an old Kaw instead of one of those new fangled Triumph things ;)

News on Mark - he is going home today! Considering his injuries, and that the accident was only 3 weeks ago, he has made amazing progress. He was interviewed on Monday by one of the local TV stations for an article about nerve damage, and the importance of wearing protective gear. It will probably air in the next week or so!
Eric
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

a moment of silence part four. 26 Jul 2009 17:42 #309459

• MikeinN.H.KZ1Kst
  • User
I haven't lost anyone in an accident but it's either been a combination of good reflexes, alot of prayers & GOD above that I'm still here. Kind of a case of I'm still alive in spite of myself. It's also a good thing KZs stop almost as quickly as they accelerate. I got foolish one day leaving a stop light & went 0-60 in no time in a 40mph zone & someone cut in front of me. CLOSE CALL. I've had a few close calls that were'nt my fault as well. It amazes me how many people today don't use turn signals or even LOOK when they change lanes. Even when I've been in my 06 Quad cab I've almost been run into so it's not just when I'm on my bike. I guess it's probably just as well the KZs been off the road til I can rebuild the engine. When I do ride the Z I always wear my full faced modular helmet & 1st Gear jacket W/armor pads, pants & boots. Never any shorts or even sneakers(never mind sandals).

a moment of silence part four. 29 Jul 2009 14:08 #310141

• kzr750r1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I had my last big incident real close to Marks. I over reacted and locked up the front brake when a bag of pillows dropped from a pickup on the freeway. All of the cars looked at the bag and slammed on their brakes. So did I, wumphhh... I was rolling through the fast lane and bike landed on it's left side. Crazy part is one of the pillows landed under the tank and saved it from destruction. Not even a scratch.

The truck behind me pulled over to help me pick up the bike and roll off to the side of the freeway. All the while exclaiming, "I almost ran you over!"

Bike ran but the left bar mount was bent, bikini faring wasted and the charging cover is now an ashtray/reminder. Helmet received some deep scratches and lost the left hinge cover.

Once I realized the bike would start I was out of there...
Rode back to the house. Walked into the house all tore up and let the wife know I was going to the emergency room for some xrays. The hospital staff looked at me like a ghost, as they never had anyone go home and drive themselves to their care.

This was the beginning of October 2004...I was out on the last day of daddy leave from work after my daughter was born. She's five now and glad to have to opportunity to see her through thus far. Riding gear was minimal jeans and canvas jacket. Picked up a jacket with armor after this one. Never ride without.
KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

a moment of silence part four. 29 Jul 2009 16:43 #310173

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
  • Thank you received: 1
Condolences Limey. i came close to losing my dad in a bad car wreck. 1 month coma all busted up, i was 9 at the time.

Just yesterday, i was crusing to school about 7:30 am doing 50. i look down at my speed cause i was approaching a known speed trap, i look back up and im about 20 feet away from a 250lb white tail that jumped out of the bushes to my right.

I had just egnough time to lock up the brakes, i think the screeching from the rear tire made him move a little quicker, i came within 10 feet, but after that i had to pull over and sit a second. Man that was a scare.

I wear a leather jacket and a full face, i have fortunally avoided any kind of accident so far on my street bike. But im only 18, i got alot more ridin to do.
82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

• Page: