Changing tires

• sf4t7
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 May 2024 20:36 #900067 by sf4t7
Changing tires was created by sf4t7
Mounted new tires and tubes on the Z1 the other day.  Turns out I haven't forgotten how to pinch a tube with the tire irons...    

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2024 00:32 #900069 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Changing tires

Mounted new tires and tubes on the Z1 the other day.  Turns out I haven't forgotten how to pinch a tube with the tire irons...    
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

More
01 Jun 2024 02:20 - 01 Jun 2024 02:21 #900071 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Changing tires
Bike tyres can be tricky but the secret is to never let the tyre iron go further than 90deg to the rim. Use three irons, first one to hold the start seat then just go round with the other two leap fogging each other in no more than two inch bites remembering to ensure none of the three irons go no more than 90 deg.

The tube will only get nipped if the iron goes past 90 deg and springs flat against the tyre wall. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: 01 Jun 2024 02:21 by Warren3200gt.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
01 Jun 2024 06:46 #900081 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Changing tires

My first try at swapping a tire I pinched the tube, patched it, and pinched it again, and then went to the bike shop to get a new tube.  As I'm walking out this old guy asked me if I wanted advice about installing the tube I was holding.  I sure as heck did!  He was standing by his late 60s BMW with over 250,000 miles on it, all ridden by him.  He said he had gone all the way down to South America and back.  I figured he was worth listening to.

He said the trick is to partially inflate the tube after you install it inside the tire, before you start going at it with the tire irons.  Inflating it pushes the tube up into the tire carcass and doesn't leave any tube flaps down near the bead.  It worked for me anyway.  

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Nessism, sf4t7, SWest, Wookie58

More
01 Jun 2024 07:20 #900083 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Changing tires

He said the trick is to partially inflate the tube after you install it inside the tire, before you start going at it with the tire irons.  Inflating it pushes the tube up into the tire carcass and doesn't leave any tube flaps down near the bead.  It worked for me anyway.  

I concur with this advice.  It helps greatly.  

I'm a bicycle rider, and getting flats is part of the experience.  I carry a tube with me at all times on the bike.  Changed dozens of flats on the road.  Some air in the tube makes a huge difference in avoiding pinching the tube while levering the sidewall in place.  

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
01 Jun 2024 08:14 #900087 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Changing tires
Been there done that. I always put a little air in the tube for that reason. The type of tire spoons makes the difference too. Changing to alloy rims changed everything. Not only is it damn near impossible to break the bead without nicking the tube doing it on the side of the road is out of the question. This time I'm going tubeless. I'll still carry my air pump I'll carry a plug kit. If I pick up a nail I'll stick a plug in it and ride on. Later I can put a patch or boot on the inside but I won't be STRANDED. 
Steve

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sf4t7
    • Topic Author
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    01 Jun 2024 15:11 #900094 by sf4t7
    Replied by sf4t7 on topic Changing tires
    I usually do add a little air to the tube, lube the beads, and carefully lever it on.  But... it was getting late, the front tire and tube went on easily, and we went past 90 degrees on the last couple tries.  Should have known better...  At least I also remember how to patch the tube.    

Scotty

1974 Z1A
    welded Z1 crank
    Andrews 1X Cams
    Delkevic 4 into 1